Streamlight Stinger Ds or PolyStinger Ds

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I'm looking to take the plunge on one or the other! The PolyStinger will be available after the 19th and it has 185Lm while the Alum. Stinger has 140Lm. I will be spending a lot of time on bike patrol this spring so the poly seems like it would be nice weight wise but I don't know how durable it will be? Any ideas would be appreciated especially by Stinger DS owners of the 140Lm model. I did place a add in the want section for a used Stinger DS 140Lm version so I will see what happens! Thanks

Dorkwheeler

Newly Enlightened
I have a polystinger that is used hard. It has held up well over the years, and doesnt look as beat up as the Stinger led I have. The stinger led i have has been upgraded to the c4 model and is a nice light. I just got a polystinger led a couple days ago. The light has a cree in it and is plenty bright. Either light is a good choice.

sport69

Newly Enlightened
I have a polystinger that is used hard. It has held up well over the years, and doesnt look as beat up as the Stinger led I have. The stinger led i have has been upgraded to the c4 model and is a nice light. I just got a polystinger led a couple days ago. The light has a cree in it and is plenty bright. Either light is a good choice.

How do you know if it has Cree in it? Thats another worry of mine...I guess the poly's will be ok but the Alum. ones it can be a crap shoot.

maxilux

Enlightened
I think the Al- Stinger is a great light for bussines, for use every day.
I wait for the Polystinger, i cant trust, that the Polystinger has more Output. But i will see.

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the Poly Stinger will be available after the 19th of this month...I am leaning towards the regular stinger but I want to make sure I get the 140 Lumen model but how can you tell? I know the add may say C4 but I have heard that there are still old 80 Lumen models on the shelf. So does C4 necessarily mean Cree???

Dorkwheeler

Newly Enlightened
C4 in the aluminum stinger means it is the 140 lumen model. I heard somewhere on cpf that the later aluminum c4's have a cree but I am not sure. My c4 aluminum stinger has a K2.

sport69

Newly Enlightened
C4 in the aluminum stinger means it is the 140 lumen model. I heard somewhere on cpf that the later aluminum c4's have a cree but I am not sure. My c4 aluminum stinger has a K2.

Just so I know I'm right, if it says C4 it is the 140 Lumen model?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just so you know, I upgraded my old 80 lumen Stinger LED to the new LED that is in the C4 version, and it is not any brighter. It has a warmer tint but that is about it. It is still one of my favorite lights. I have two high capacity batteries for mine and they should get about 2.5 hours runtime on high, although I have never timed them.

Mike

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Just so you know, I upgraded my old 80 lumen Stinger LED to the new LED that is in the C4 version, and it is not any brighter. It has a warmer tint but that is about it. It is still one of my favorite lights. I have two high capacity batteries for mine and they should get about 2.5 hours runtime on high, although I have never timed them.

Mike

Are your batteries after market?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
So far the Streamlight C4's are using the luxeon K2 TFFC LED.

Bill

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are your batteries after market?

Yes, they are 3000mAh NIMH batteries that I got off Ebay a few years ago and they have worked great. I really should test runtime on them, but never seem to get around to it. :(

Mike

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Woo Hoo! Ordered my SL Stinger DS from Bright Guy today very nice guy and he price matched opticsplanet price for me!!! great deal, I came very close to purchasing the Polystinger but they are not in stock as of yet. I may just purchase the poly later since I will already have the chargers. :twothumbs

Dorkwheeler

Newly Enlightened
I saw an aluminum C4 stinger today with a cree in it. It looks like the latest lights are using cree's.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woo Hoo! Ordered my SL Stinger DS from Bright Guy today very nice guy and he price matched opticsplanet price for me!!! great deal, I came very close to purchasing the Polystinger but they are not in stock as of yet. I may just purchase the poly later since I will already have the chargers. :twothumbs

I was going to purchase one of these from Brightguy, but I wanted to find out if the new versions of the light had a Cree, but they never responded to my email.

Mike