light graffiti photos

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
Some of you may of already seen this. And I know several members here have done stuff like this before. :twothumbs

www.dailymail.co.uk ran a story on Michael Bosanko and his flashlight "light graffiti" photos.

Story is here, and his web site / photo gallery is here.

A quick re-hosted sample image:
article-image.jpg

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pic's:
THe first two are more "open the shutter and play with lights" kind of type.
The last one is most graffiti wise.

0052%20copy.jpg

0009%20copy.jpg

017%20copy.jpg

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
Just put the camera on a tripod and open the shutter for a relative long time (10 sec's or so)
Do this in a Dimm enviroment and "paint" your graffiti with a flashlight.
Sounds easy, but needs some practice to get the right camera settings.

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
Fizz, i checked the galery link and there are some super great pics in there.

Michael Bosanko must have a truely very good 3D view if he really does this without photoshop.
I wonder how you get track on where you started the base of the skateboard for example. How to fit the skate guy on there and so on.

true art!

bretti_kivi

Enlightened
If you check out the botanic pics, they're done over a very, very long exposure (you can see the stars move in some of them). The mountain ones are also very long exposure, that stretch of road is not short.

I was thinking about the skateboarder over lunch; I think practice would do well and if you use some kind of reminder for the height, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Flow: wheels, then board, then person, from the bottom up with a reminder at the board height and also at shoulder height.

Bret

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
The shutter is open for like 15sec's or so.
If you wear dark clothes and are moving around you will not be seen on the photo itself. ( the rest needs to be on the same spot for 15 sec's to get in the pic)
The light you use is bright and does only need a fraction of a second to get in the photo.

Compare it with a night (long shutter time) shot where you see car lights on the photo passing by. You don't see all the cars that where there.

Maybe someone who is more photo technical can explain better?

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Inspired by Michael Bosanko I want to do some more experiments as well. It's fun to do, but takes some practice to get right.
On the other hand, digital photo's are practically free so keep shooting!

bretti_kivi

Enlightened
exactly right. As long as you don't do anything silly like show yourself in a flash or beam, you will disappear - dark grey clothing (non reflective!) recommended.

Practice makes perfect.

Bret

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
exactly right. As long as you don't do anything silly like show yourself in a flash or beam, you will disappear - dark grey clothing (non reflective!) recommended.

Practice makes perfect.

Bret

Or be seen in several places at once?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Here's a quick little self-portrait I just tried. Came out better than I expected. This could be fun. I used my LF3XT and set the camera for a 12 sec. exposure. Had the light set for momentary so I could "dot the eyes". I'll have to play with this some more. Maybe use some red.

SN853290.jpg

Geoff