What kind of flashlight should I get to spot insects and fireflies?

Greta

Flashaholic
Seems to me that you shouldn't need a flashlight to spot fireflies... don't they carry their own? ;)

Thread moved to Cafe.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found that nearly any reasonably bright LED light is great for spotting insects as their eyes tend to light up - especially spiders and moths. I've found with fireflies that you can attract them somewhat with a light and if they get close they will usually land near you if you shine the light on them. I'm not sure if the landing is because they are attracted to the light or if they can't see well enough to fly when you are shining it on them but I've experienced that quite a few times.

However if fireflies are not lit up at the moment they are rather hard to spot and are quite silent in flight. In that case a very floody light would be good such as a Surefire L4 or some of the P7 and MC-E based lights.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Seems to me that you shouldn't need a flashlight to spot fireflies... don't they carry their own? ;)

Thread moved to Cafe.

sorry for the posting in the wrong section. hmm.. actually the firefly thing, i meant to see them clearer, to make them stand out if they have dim lights or are not lit up :)

ruriimasu

Enlightened
ah ok.. i think i will just modify one of my lights with UV LED and see what i can get out of it. thanks :D