Is the Surefire E1L Outdoorsman any good?

bjarki

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys i'm new in this flashlight thing :) i wanna ask is Surefire e1l outdoorsman any good ?

bjarki

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
Re: Surefire

Decent brightness, long runtime, small, surefire reliability, go for it! You won't regret it.

Edit- oh and welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire

I will never understand where the "Outdoorsman" designation comes from. Unless the newest versions are a significant departure from past models, they have the most absolutely useless beam profile for outdoor use I have ever seen. No doubt they're fine with a beamshaper, though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hello guys i'm new in this flashlight thing :) i wanna ask is Surefire e1l outdoorsman any good ?

:welcome: bjarki

I've edited your thread title so that it better reflects the topic. This way it is more likely to responses from those who have an option, or may-be even experience with the E1L

Best regards,
Al

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a single stage one..
it's long running, reliable, durable.. but, (don't flame me). a bit too expensive for my student pocket..
The hotspot of it apppears only slightly dimmer than the hotspot of my romisen RC-N3 Q5
But, I find myself trying to swap a D20 for it.. anyone?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Is it any good? Depends on what you plan to use the light for.

It's a light with an optic that provides lots of throw for the output and some spill(persuming current E1L). It has good runtime, should be tough, and is supported by a good company.

:welcome:

WDR65

Enlightened
I tend to think so. I often carry it in my pocket as my primary backup light for my larger Surefire's and Streamlights when out in the woods. With the F04 diffuser I will attach it to my cap if I have forgotten my headlamp or don't feel like digging through my bag to grab it. The 3 lumen low will go a long way in true dark conditions and the 45 lumen high isn't so bad either.

I prefer the E1B Backup for EDC with its better clip design but there are days when an E1L will also ride along in a jacket pocket just in case. YMMV but I think its a good little light.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the E1L. In fact it's one of my favorite lights. The one I have is almost equal in brightness (on high) to my E1B. I think mine is just an over-achiever. I hope the extra brightness mine has doesn't come at the expense of battery life.
A winner in my book.

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is. I had a single level E1L. It's bright enough for most use outdoors, it's throw is also good. Runtime is just great. The clip is strong enough to be clipped to a cap. Really helpful when setting up a tent at night.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had mine long, but I really like it so far. My appreciation of it grows everytime I use it. The throw is very impressive, and while the spill isn't exactly bright, it's perfectly adequate IMO. I wouldn't personally want to sacrifice the large, bright hotspot and throw for brighter spill. The low is great for me too. It's hard to believe it's only 3 lumens, but 3 believable lumens would be a bit lower than I like. I think it's a great light. :thumbsup:

I have had mine for 3 years. I keep it in my car in case I need it. Its fairly bright and well built. Im thinking of selling it if you want it.

prime77

Enlightened
I have two E1Ls, the single stage 30 lumen KX1 and the two level KX1. While in no way a scorcher in output. Both lights use the Surefire TIR optic to make for a nice tight beam for throw with good spill while giving the greatest thing for me anyway for a outdoor light, great runtime. Like others have mentioned the clip works great clipped to the bill of a hat for hands free use and with the addition of the FO4 diffusser makes for a spot free perfect flood beam. Some beamshots of both the E1Ls can be found here.https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211633

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1L was a bit too small for me to comfortably use - I got rid of mine but kept its bigger bro, the E2L, which I love.

What are you intending to use the light for?

What specifically are you unsure about re the E1L?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it is. The two levels are well spaced for everyday use and if you add an F04 diffuser you have also a good spill. :thumbsup:

cimg1353asp1.jpg

:wave:

radu1976

Enlightened
I had the same feeling ....too small for my hands !
As it was expensive I had to sell it too...
I don't know but despite its lack of knurling comparative to the E1L, the ROMISEN RC-N3 feels better in my hands.

My E1L was a bit too small for me to comfortably use - I got rid of mine but kept its bigger bro, the E2L, which I love.

What are you intending to use the light for?

What specifically are you unsure about re the E1L?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the older luxeon version with single stage. Beamshape is squarish with outer rings, slightly yellow. It design for throw with no spill at all. But the aesthetics are excellent. Very grippy and smooth action. Small and easy to carry.

tygger

Enlightened
I have the dual output Cree version and replaced the Z57/Z61 tailcap with the Z68. Now I can throw it in the pocket and not worry about the switch being activated. Output for me is perfect. Hiking at night has proven the low adequate for most tasks and the high bright enough to spot anything you want to see.

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
The single stage E1L was the first high-end light that I had and really got me started with this hobby. Using it with the F04 it was my primary (and only) light on many trips. Its small size and light weight allowed me to clip it on the brim of my hat and use it like a headlamp. I later got the dual-stage which made it even more useful.
The TIR optic makes for a very clean beam with an amazing amount of throw for the head diameter. The reliability of the light is amazing, I have never had any sort of problem with it.

I think the E1L will serve anyone very well, the only reason i don't use it as much anymore is because I go overboard and carry three or more different lights when i could probably make due with just the E1L

crocodilo

Enlightened
The E1L is a fantastic EDC light, very simple, tough and reliable. Great runtimes, and brightness seems well above the advertised specs. A bit expensive, yes, but a great light nonetheless.

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
if you want a good EDC torch try: Surefire's E1B Backup with following specs:

Max Output: 5/80 lumens*
Runtime: 37/1.3 hours*
*low/high settings

very decent.

its a bit better than the E1L Outdoorsman

Max Output: 3/45 lumens*
Runtime: 48/8.5 hours*
*low/high settings

checkout their website