Victim 1 Burglars 0

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was pretty clever. Good way to ensure you belonging don't go anywhere without directly confronting the thieves. Scary to think he was in the house when they broke in though.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nice one...

Shame he article wasn't very well written

The motor running AND the keys in the ignition... Wow... thats a strange coincidence :thinking:

I've seen worn ignition key modules that would allow you to accidentally pull the key out while the motor was running. I'm sure that's not what the author was thinking of though. :p

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wonder if it's better to take the keys so they waste time loading the car giving chance for the cops to come.

or pop the hood and cut the throttle cable so the van is idling but when it's time to drive off, nada.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
:lolsign:

That's some funny $#^% right there!

Imagine the expression on their faces as they walked out the house....

"Dude, where's my car?" :huh:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
i wonder if it's better to take the keys so they waste time loading the car giving chance for the cops to come.

or pop the hood and cut the throttle cable so the van is idling but when it's time to drive off, nada.

I don't think so, the motor not running anymore would probably alert the criminals, they wouldn't continue loading up the van and it would put you in the same location as the, by then pissed off, criminals. And ofcourse there's no telling how far a criminal will go to steal your tv. Most likely they will run, but I think that to a criminal mind grand theft auto, kidnapping and murder are going to be other possibilities. A situation like this could end up going very very wrong...

Cutting the throttle cable takes some time, requires tools and basic technical knowledge of the vehicle to locate the throttle cable. If you have all that, it would still put you in the same location with the criminals.

I think prevention would be better. Get a dog, preferably a big black one that goes completely mental when someone enters your property. I have one.... well, a medium sized brownish one, but she does go completely mental when someone puts 1 foot on my property...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I don't know but they did i nterview the victim on TV. They also played a snippet of the 911 call, which he placed from the thieves' van while driving it away. You could hear the police dispatcher laughing!
:)

ypsifly

Enlightened
If it was a typical cargo van with no windows on the side, he was a fool. Could have been people in the back that would have got him when he opened the door or at least alerted the guys inside the house.

If I think someone is robbing my house while I'm in it, I'm gonna run like hell if I can. I'll make a stand if I have to, but not too far from me a couple came home to find some burglars and it turned into hostage situation. One of the bad guys had an AK-47. It lasted until 5am and some SWAT guys were injured when the house went up in flames before it all ended. They had to jump from the second floor.