Need help finding the right light

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I've been lurking and browsing the site for the last couple of days trying to figure things out and pick out the proper light. It seems I've been steering myself in the general direction of:
A rechargeable, reliable light that is VERY bright and has the best (tight and long) "throw" that I can find. Trying to keep the cost to around $100. Most of my searching seems to point me to the streamlight ultrastinger, TL3 or magcharger (upgraded with a different bulb??). Size or weight is not really an issue, though I'd like it to fit comfortably in hand and be no longer than around one foot. I'm pretty lost in what to choose, not knowing if something like the ultrastinger is still near the top of the line for the price range or if it's pushing being out of date now? Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciatted.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, :welcome:

Second, if you're okay with charging the batteries separately from the light, you can get into the field of DIY super-flashlights that we affectionately refer to as 'hotwires'. Most of these start off as D-cell Maglites before being gutted and rebuilt. Two of the most popular are the ROP, or 'Roar of the Pelican' and the Mag85, a Mag mounting a 1185 lightbulb. Both are bright as heck, but I prefer the ROP for some flexibility in future upgrades... and by swapping bulbs, I can pick just the right amount of light and runtime for the task at hand. Batteries are usually lithium-ion or nickel-metal-hydride, aka NiMH, which is safer and easier to work with.

Also remember, the bigger the reflector, the longer it'll throw a beam of light. I don't know how big the UltraStinger is, but those two basic hotwires put about three times as much light downrange, at about the same price (if you shop carefully).

That said? My best-throwing light is a $6 Energizer WeatherReady lantern (sold as the Everready Dolphin outside the US) with a 4-D MagnumStar Maglite bulb. While my ROP isn't tuned for long throw, the lantern is so much longer reaching that I'm not sure I'll ever bother with the tuning.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the welcome. I'd probably be open to rechargeable batteries versus strictly rechargeable via a dock of some kind, but it would be more desirable to not need to commonly handle external batteries.
Being new to the components and trying to learn what is good, I think I'm best passing on trying a modification of some kind right out of the gate (unless it's really just screwing in a different bulb). I think wetting my feet with a light or two and gathering some knowledge along the way will later help in appreciating and even wanting to add xyz components, in abc order for reasons that I can truly understand at a later date.
Since this original posting, I think I have decided to go with 3 lights, a bulky/entry level HID for scanning the property, a pocketable light that was recommended today to another newbie for around the house and garage, and then a third and last light that could be a "jack of all trades", which I hope to find through this search and your recommendations.
I've been all over the map in trying to find what this third light should be, from the originally mentioned three, to an olight M20, to a fenix tk11 (both not rechargable via a dock being one downfall there) and I seem to keep coming back to magcharger or ultrastinger. Are these my best bets? Is there something at the same pricepoint that takes external batteries that would blow them out of the water (lumens and tight throw)?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Cradle charging will be limiting factor.

I'm not completely sure what kind of light you are looking for. From what I gather, a good sized cradle charged light, but that's still pretty vague.

How often will the light be used and how long at what output level?
How would you like the light to perform?
If you had to use remove to recharge batteries, which ones do you prefer and how often would you like to replace the batteries?
What about multimode? (low output, high output, strobe, etc.)

Lithium-ion batteries hold their charge pretty well. They can be left for a year and still have a good amount of capacity left(I think 70-85%). There are also Low Self Discharge NiMh batteries.

The RC-N3 Q5 could be too bright for most normal tasks.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Cradle charging will be limiting factor.

I'm not completely sure what kind of light you are looking for. From what I gather, a good sized cradle charged light, but that's still pretty vague.

How often will the light be used and how long at what output level?
How would you like the light to perform?
If you had to use remove to recharge batteries, which ones do you prefer and how often would you like to replace the batteries?
What about multimode? (low output, high output, strobe, etc.)

Lithium-ion batteries hold their charge pretty well. They can be left for a year and still have a good amount of capacity left(I think 70-85%). There are also Low Self Discharge NiMh batteries.

The RC-N3 Q5 could be too bright for most normal tasks.

During the seasons other than winter, I'll use it a few times a week to walk from the house to the koi pond and back after nightfall. A two output mode would be nice (low/high, no need for strobe). I'd like the light to have impressive run time on low and last at least an hour on high or 3-4 hours if a single mode (survive a couple days without recharge?). Though in general use, it won't need impressive throw, I'd prefer the light to be very capable in that regard for when I'd like to shoot it across an acre or two.
Batteries, I know nothing about beyond common un-rechargeable store bought duracell types. If cost were reasonable I'd follow the advice given here in regards to choice, with a preference for something like you had mentioned at the end, capable of holding a charge and capacity for a decent time period (based on the convienence factor).
As someone new to the concept of bright handheld flashlights, having used only lights with built in wall plugs :duh2: or those little laterns, "too bright for most normal tasks" sounds like more of a draw.
Being overkill, would be fine, want I'd like and actually "need" probably won't matchup as the crummy lights I have do get the job done, they just don't do it pretty or without leaving me stuck in the 80's.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magchargers are good, and can be used to host any number of fun modifications later on.

What about a battery pack that you take out of the light and plug into a charger? If that's okay, I'd still recommend a ROP - it's nearly as simple as plugging in a new bulb, but you also unscrew the front ring and drop in a new reflector and piece of glass. After that, I'd recommend a shortened tailcap spring, and you can get a textured reflector for a smoother, if broader, beam.

Last step, you'll need something to put in the battery pack. I use six Eneloop AA cells which can be had at Costco for about the same price, with a couple AAAs and a charger for about the same price.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
An acre is pretty easy for most light, unless the acre is 1m wide and 4000 something meter far, that would require a very powerful light. I'll presume a relatively square acre.

Even normal NiMh batteries should survive a few days without charging, so no problem there.

I'd suggest getting the RC-N3 Q5 and seeing how you like it. IIRC it should run 3 hours or more with 2 AAs before dimming to the point of a not very useful. Shiningbeam has a 6% off coupon, "cpfuser".

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the light from shiningbeam (the coupon code does not work though). I'll hold off on my decision for this light until after I receive it and can make a reference to what I like and do not like.
Thank you both for the help thus far!

edit- through the confirmation email I contacted shiningbeam about the code error I had, couldn't have been more than 10 minutes before he refunded the % and checked the code. I must have mucked it up somehow on my end. Nice to see someone making an adjustment over such a small amount. A+ so far!

Last edited:

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I hope you like it!

Got it this afternoon, ordered another tonight for a friend (might get another for my fishing tackle box as well). I'm really quite impressed with everything about it. I prefer the size with the extender, it's pretty small in hand without it. I like how bright it is (read impressed) and the quality seems good, nice knurling/grip and finish. After I toy around with it longer I think I will have a good idea what I want in the light I made this thread about.

Few questions, would it be brighter with a 123 battery than double A's? Are all 123 batteries the same (cr123a etc)? If it is brighter with a 123 and I prefer the length of the extender, would fashioning some kind of blank to hold the small 123 battery tight be a easy/safe/workable option?

Overall very glad to have spent the $25, a very nice intro I think and very happy with shiningbeam as a retailer, thank you

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I've been lurking and browsing the site for the last couple of days trying to figure things out and pick out the proper light. It seems I've been steering myself in the general direction of:
A rechargeable, reliable light that is VERY bright and has the best (tight and long) "throw" that I can find. Trying to keep the cost to around $100. Most of my searching seems to point me to the streamlight ultrastinger, TL3 or magcharger (upgraded with a different bulb??). Size or weight is not really an issue, though I'd like it to fit comfortably in hand and be no longer than around one foot. I'm pretty lost in what to choose, not knowing if something like the ultrastinger is still near the top of the line for the price range or if it's pushing being out of date now? Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciatted.

Well, Jetbeam III Military seems to fit in the category you described. :grin2:
Broader choice of batteries combination including primary and rechargeables, and pretty decent throw and spills.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Subject to a lot of change, my initial reactions to what I now perceive I'd want are:
More throw with a tighter beam
Definitely two modes, low/high (something like strobe might be nice but probably never used)
Without question not Much smaller than this romisen with the extension on, I dont have huge hands, but, without referring to build quality, something that small just feels dinky or lost in my palms and I do not need something that's pocketable or EDC, not looking for a keychain light by any means.
I'd like something that has consistent output, ie does not constantly get dimmer as the juice from the battery continues to die.
I guess the idea of rechargeable via dock is mute, as I've learned batteries that can fill that need exist.

Olight M20 warrior R2 seems to fit in my limited research? perhaps not the throw or size I'd like?
To any degree I'll be playing with this light way more than I should over the next week; thank you to any and all who have replied!
Regards

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The M20 should be wider then the RC-N3. The Jetbeam Jet III M could work too along with the Fenix TK series and Eagletac lights. All of the above lights have 2 modes.

The RC-N3 should be similar in output with both the CR123 and AA batteries. a RCR123 should give more output(higher voltage).

I'm glad you like the light!