Maglite 2D LED switch broke!

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
I'm beginning to understand why people don't like the maglites very much. This is the first time this has happened. I have a 2D LED Mag that has hardly been used, and the switch is now broken somehow. It will click, but won't turn on, and the clicking sensation sounds different, as if something is broken inside. Does anyone know how Mag's warranty works, and if I have to pay shipping? If I do I might just try and fix it myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know this is noobie, but thanks in advance!

JamisonM

Enlightened
Try taking the switch out and see what's going on. If the switch died, you can send it back to maglite or you can buy a new switch. To take the switch out, you'll need a 5/64 allan wrench. take the batteries out and press the push button like you would to turn the light on. Pinch the black switch cover and pull it off. In the center of the push button, there is a hole. Stick the allan wrench in this hole and all the way to the back of the sitch. You'll feel the it seat into the screw. Turn the allan wrench to unscrew it. It may be hard at first but it will unscrew. Unscrew it as much as possible. With the tail cap off, the tail cap may drop out of the battery tube under it's own weight or it might need a little elbow grease. Once you have the switch out, you can start looking to see what wrong.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much, false alarm apparently.

I took apart the light up to the switch, fiddled with it a bit, and it turned on, but a lot dimmer than before (I have a 3D one to compare). Put in some new cells and the brightness is comparable again, guess I had bad cells that couldn't drive the led anymore... can this happen?

JamisonM

Enlightened
Thanks so much, false alarm apparently.

I took apart the light up to the switch, fiddled with it a bit, and it turned on, but a lot dimmer than before (I have a 3D one to compare). Put in some new cells and the brightness is comparable again, guess I had bad cells that couldn't drive the led anymore... can this happen?
It very well could've been, but even in a 2D magLED, they'd have to be pretty dead for the LED to not even light up. Is this the luxeon III or rebel magLED version?

JamisonM

Enlightened
How do I tell? I'm betting it's the Lux3 version, got it at Lowes for $15
Just a guess, but did you get this maglite on black friday? If you did, I doubt it's the new rebel version. The easiest way to tell is by simply looking down into the reflector. Here are some picture I took of mine. When you look down into the reflector and don't see anything that looks like that; you have the luxeon III version.