New L1D - Hot battery

CuNim

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased my first Fenix - a new L1D with rebel 80 LED (got a good price).

However, I've noticed than even after being on for just 3 minutes or so, the battery tube is becoming very warm, and the when I took the battery (Duracell Alkaline) out, it was very warm to the touch. What could be a possible cause for this? The head of the torch remained cool btw.

Also, there is intermittent flickering in all modes, could this be due to the connectors needing cleaning? If so, what should I use to clean them? (I'm in the UK, so needs to be available here).

DM51

Flashaholic
Warm is OK, but hot is not OK. Is it uncomfortable to hold? If so, that is too hot.

I suspect you have a fault in it somewhere. If the battery is hot but the head isn't, that doesn't sound right. However, these small lights drive the batteries quite a lot harder than ones you may have been using in the past.

There's a thread here about a much more serious incident.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it has a short circuit somewhere. When you turn it on, power goes through the LED but also shorts through somewhere else. Result: Battery gets hot quick, power through LED is low and therefore causes flickering.
Have a look in the head and see if there is any small bits of metal that may be causing a short. If not, I'd send it back.
If you don't want to buy anything special for cleaning it, a drop of lighter fluid on a cotton bud will do the trick.

I'f you're anywhere near Bracknell or Windsor, send me a PM and I'll bring over some Deoxit and Nyogel for cleaning and lubricating.

J.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There could be a semi-short somewhere in the light. Try cleaning all the contacts. Some people use alcohol and a cotton swab.

They made L1Ds with Rebel 80s? I thought the rebel L1Ds had the 100 bin.

CuNim

Newly Enlightened
Warm is OK, but hot is not OK. Is it uncomfortable to hold? If so, that is too hot.

I suspect you have a fault in it somewhere. If the battery is hot but the head isn't, that doesn't sound right. However, these small lights drive the batteries quite a lot harder than ones you may have been using in the past.

There's a thread here about a much more serious incident.

The battery is not too hot to hold, but worryingly warm, and after just a couple of minutes. The body and head of the light is still cool, yet the battery is very warm, warmer than a cell that has been recharging for 10hrs.

The flickering seems to occur in levels 2-3 in 'low' mode, with seemingly no difference between levels 2 and 3. Perhaps I should sent it back. I'm considering exchanging it for an LD10.....

I haven't got anything to clean it with atm.

CuNim

Newly Enlightened
OK, just tried it with a new battery and the same thing happens, although after 5 minutes the whole light becomes warm - enough to make my palms sweat :sick:

I can also hear a feint buzzing when I hold the light to my ear, but only in level three on 'low' mode. I cleaned all the contacts with cotton buds (all I had), but still the same.

Am I just being too picky? :thinking:

DM51

Flashaholic
It shouldn't get that hot, and certainly not after just ~2 minutes. There must be a fault with the light - I suggest you return it. Cleaning it won't make any difference.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, just tried it with a new battery and the same thing happens, although after 5 minutes the whole light becomes warm - enough to make my palms sweat :sick:

I can also hear a feint buzzing when I hold the light to my ear, but only in level three on 'low' mode. I cleaned all the contacts with cotton buds (all I had), but still the same.

Am I just being too picky? :thinking:

Alkaline batteries under heavy load get quite warm. Try a NiMH.

The buzzing is probably normal for the low setting.

CuNim

Newly Enlightened
Cheers. I have some eneloops, which need charging, so will report back tomorrow...

deusexaethera

Banned
Does the L1D have a constant-current regulator? If so, based on what I recently learned about alkalines, the regulator could be pushing the battery harder and harder as it heats up, to keep the amount of current flowing equal. That would definitely heat up the battery quickly.

I like Energizer Lithiums anyway.