Quad SSC P7 Helmet Light ... Design, Build, Test

Mick

Newly Enlightened
This light was designed for caving. The four P7's allow ~2500 lumens for a short time for photographs. Running at 250 milliamp it is a good working light but a bit heavy. Always compromises!

QuadP7HeadLite_Driver4sm.jpg

Rear touch switch and TaskLED hipFlex driver (ghosted)

QuadP7HeadLite_Driver3sm.jpg

Beam shots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavertim/sets/72157612843116588/

The size is 3" (75mm) diameter x 2.1 (53) deep without helmet clip.
I will get a weight soon. Must go make chips!

Weight ~ 350 grams

Last edited:

Tidra

Enlightened
~350g, uauuuuuuuuuu, that is toooo much.... tor the headlamp...

read this post

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/220664

post 14 and down,... 160g would be acceptable for the headlamp

with all do respect, I really don't se a point of building a headlamp so strong, except for the fast moving activities like biking and skiing, but for the caving and running,… of course I don't know how much light is needed for photographers

you must realize that for that amount of light you must provide quite a big battery pack to run it for some time al full power, otherwise there is a lot of other setups, that could give you a good amount of light, they are smaller in size weight…

if you use 3 SSC P7, you could get a good amount of light and smaller headlight and battery pack,…

but of course just IMHO

otherwise I like your design and idea

cheers
Iztok

Last edited:

Mick

Newly Enlightened
,… of course I don't know how much light is needed for photographers
I have been working with a very good cave photographer and very often they drag many pounds (kilos) of gear to light up a large area. You have to pay for what you get. I am also working on a three P7 light that will use smaller reflectors and be half the weight. You would need infinite designs to please everyone.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. :naughty:
What sort f power supply do you run it from?

A bit on the heavy side for prolonged use perhaps, but 3/4 of a pound isn't terrible. Be sure and give us a look at the smaller unit when you get it done.:devil:

Thanks for sharing.

Mick

Newly Enlightened
I will do the initial testing with five 18650 Li-Ion's. The battery pack weighs an additional 235 grams (8.3 oz.) and is rated at 18.5 volt, 2400 maHr. This battery fits in a Petzl Mega battery case. It would give over 8 hours use at 250 ma.