new fenix pd30

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcycleman

Enlightened
Just picked up a fenix pd 30. Seems pretty cool. you get what you pay for though. The two surefires I have feel much more durable. I also noticed that the claimed 117 lumen setting on the fenix is not as bright as the claimed 60 lumen setting on my e2l. And the turbo (220lm) is only slightly brighter than the e2ls 60LM. Kinda funny huh? I dont have one but I am sure that a L4 would blow the fenix out of the water.

EEG

Newly Enlightened
I did a quick look at my Fenix P1D Premium compared to my "cracked" Novatac. I think the Fenix 180 lumens is a little brighter than the Novatac 120. This is just by eye but I think Novatac's ratings are pretty close to actual out the front lumens so I would say I'm seeing the 20-25% that I have thought Fenix was over rating but you are getting into the 50% range with the PD30's 117 lumens.

Of course keep in mind I am comparing Cree to SSC P4 and you are comparing reflector to optic wich I find difficult.

I would hope Fenix is not getting worse in the ratings of the new models because was thinkg of getting a PD30 as well.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just picked up a fenix pd 30. Seems pretty cool. you get what you pay for though. The two surefires I have feel much more durable. I also noticed that the claimed 117 lumen setting on the fenix is not as bright as the claimed 60 lumen setting on my e2l. And the turbo (220lm) is only slightly brighter than the e2ls 60LM. Kinda funny huh? I dont have one but I am sure that a L4 would blow the fenix out of the water.

Another case of confusing lux vs lumens.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shine your PD30 and E2L at the same distace to a wall and look which had wider beam. The surefire has tigher hotspot, hence more concentration of light. The fenix has wider overall beam, larger but softer hotspot, larger spill and more overall output.

Do a ceiling bounce test and draw your own conclusions. :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The E2L(presuming the newer one) has an optic that concentrates more of the light into the hotspot of the light which could make one light seem brighter then another. If you compare the total output of the lights then it could be different.

Judging by the numbers for the L4 and P3D available on Flashlightreviews, the PD30 should have more throw on medium then the L4(700 lux vs 512 lux) and more output in turbo(58 vs 90). I'm just stating numbers, not looking for argument, the PD30 and L4 are designed for different purposes.

dcycleman

Enlightened
My assesment was based upon shining the two of them at a wall, then going outside in the woods and noting the furthest trees i could see in each setting. Like I said in turbo mode the fenix was a tad brighter but not overwhelmingly like I would have thought. I guess I could be mistaken with the Lumens vs Lux manufacturers rating as I am not an expert but I am pretty sure the box said 220 lumens. I am just noting the differences of the two lights from the standpoint of an average consumer. Its all good though both are cool lights, you cant beat the price point of a fenix, and you cant beat the quality of a surefire.

1996alnl

Enlightened
My assesment was based upon shining the two of them at a wall, then going outside in the woods and noting the furthest trees i could see in each setting. Like I said in turbo mode the fenix was a tad brighter but not overwhelmingly like I would have thought. I guess I could be mistaken with the Lumens vs Lux manufacturers rating as I am not an expert but I am pretty sure the box said 220 lumens. I am just noting the differences of the two lights from the standpoint of an average consumer. Its all good though both are cool lights, you cant beat the price point of a fenix, and you cant beat the quality of a surefire.

Your right.
But the bottem line is we can't compare a TIR optic to a reflector,it's apples and oranges.

Now if Surefire came out with a two cell TIR optic light that was rated 220 "Surefire" lumens..i'd be all over that:thumbsup:

Marduke

Flashaholic

Lumens doesn't measure how far a light will throw, lux does. The PD30 is indeed brighter, but is much more floody, and spreads those lumens around a larger area. With the right reflector, a 10 lumen light would throw further than your E2L, and with your test you would say the 10lm light is "brighter"

Marduke

Flashaholic
Your right.
But the bottem line is we can't compare a TIR optic to a reflector,it's apples and oranges.

Now if Surefire came out with a two cell TIR optic light that was rated 220 "Surefire" lumens..i'd be all over that:thumbsup:

It's called a Malkoff M60. Enjoy...

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
with the PD30, you have to forgive it because when it comes to cost, PD30 will always wipeout any Surefires any day. not to say that Surefire is expensive and not good (i have a couple of 'em and am loving it) but with Fenix you get the most bang for less buck.

i have 2 PD30s and i am loving it too! and you will....also!

p.s. get a couple of LD20 just to mix and match your powerpacks for your flashlight armory! LD20 uses AA battery. you can even stock a few more pcs. of it and not break your bank.

KingGlamis

Banned
Just got a PD30 today and LOVE it! It's replacing my old P3D as my belt-holster EDC. The only thing I didn't like about my P3D was no anti-roll, which has been fixed with the PD30, plus it's slightly brighter. Couldn't be happier. Although I am using my P3D holster because it doesn't have a velcro strap over the top like th PD30 holster does. No need for the strap because the light fits tight in the holster.

I was going to buy from 4Sevens but it said they were out of stock so I got it from FenixTactical.com. Showed up in a few days and I'm a happy customer.

BTW DM51, that's a pretty cheesy post for a moderator. Is your keyboard broken? Post your thoughts or don't post at all. A stupid emoticon is not what members expect from a Mod.

MarshallManiac

Newly Enlightened
BTW DM51, that's a pretty cheesy post for a moderator. Is your keyboard broken? Post your thoughts or don't post at all. A stupid emoticon is not what members expect from a Mod.

I thought that your comment might have been a little harsh. Perhaps DM51 was just a little tired of typing, since he spends most of the time correcting the mistakes of newbies like myself :)

gunga

Flashaholic
I think it's just an understandable reaction to another potential Fenix vs Surefire tangent.

Sheesh. Moderators are human too you know! Lighten up!

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
I've got a fenix pd30 since December and i can say that's a fantastic flashlight. It hasn't god a very concentrated hot spot but the spill is remarkable so the light show us a big area.
The strobo is really amazing XD it's funny:nana:

ps: this is my first message lovecpf

pps: i'm italian

freelander

Newly Enlightened
I had pd30 and i loved it.. but it was too small for me and i have lost it.
But overall it is a very good light! It is very bright for it size!

DM51

Flashaholic
As it happens, I hardly ever use emoticons - in fact, I probably use them less frequently than anyone else on CPF. However, that particular one was highly appropriate for those circumstances, given the crass nature of the post immediately prior to it and the general way this thread is turning out...

Status
Not open for further replies.