Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon replacement

JimStanton

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these when it first came out and it has been the most used light in the house. I guess it is something about the size and click button with the very respectable amount of light and its throw. I see that they are still selling for $35 on Amazon which isn't much less than they cost when they were first on the market. I have been away from the forums for a good while with work and wondered what might have come out that would be as appreciated as this workhorse of a light. Any ideas? I wouldn't mind just buying another one of these but at the $35 mark I thought I would check new developments.

odessit

Newly Enlightened
I'll be watching this thread. I am interested in getting this light and upgrading it to high binned Cree.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are about the only Streamlight Luxeon lights that haven't been upgraded to a better LED yet. I suspect that the reason is the lag time in getting UL safety ratings.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are about the only Streamlight Luxeon lights that haven't been upgraded to a better LED yet. I suspect that the reason is the lag time in getting UL safety ratings.

If they could do it with the Survivor, I don't see why not with the PP. I'd jump right on a TFFC K2 PP especially if it had that notorious warm tint. E-mails to SL revealed that they hadn't any plans of upgrading the PP series.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
K2 TFFC may not focus nicely in smooth reflector because of 16 holes inside die.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the holes would not be a problem as there are plenty of TFFC, both K2 and Rebel lights that use a smooth reflector and have an amazing beam.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebel with SMO has ugly beam with lots of artifacts. Even Streamlight uses hybrid reflector to create smoother beam.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm guessing you were around when the Cree XR-E LEDs came back in late 2006.

What size, output, throw, and runtime are you looking at?

Illum

Flashaholic
I'll be watching this thread. I am interested in getting this light and upgrading it to high binned Cree.

CREE will not work with luxeon reflectors...AND the SLPP4AALux is one of those lights that will make you work to get it part, light engine wise

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon my Lumileds ignorance, but what's a TFFC K2 PP?

The TFFC K2 is Lumiled's new version of the K2, PP is just short for ProPolymer, the Strealight light being discussed.

What Rebel lights use a smooth reflector and has an ugly beam with lots of artifacts? Not to mention that Crees suck with smooth reflectors as far as pretty beams.

JimStanton

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the thread Gunner12. I think I am just going to pass this light as is to a family member and use it as an excuse to go shopping. I am still rather slammed and this doesn't look like an elegant light to mod. And even if it is old, it is a very useful light.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to look at UK (Underwater Kinetics) for something that runs on 4AA's if that is the format you would like to stick with. I believe there are a couple of different models with either focusing or duel output (don't remember all the specifics). UK has recently upgraded some of the lumen figures on there website so be careful to get the latest model.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see them update it with a SSCP4 and a shorter body, as in put the batteries 2X2 next to each other

JimmyME

Newly Enlightened
I too still use this light regularly. It sits on our counter and is the goto light for our family. Even with all the newer, more powerful LED and incan lights that I have, there is something about this light that sets it apart.

fishx65

Enlightened
I've got 5 of these all modded to DX U-bin Seouls. The mod is not that hard to do and gives the Propoly one of the smoothest beams I've ever seen. Just place the DX order, wait 3 weeks and give it a try. I can pretty much guarantee that your old Propolys will stop collecting dust! The tint on all the DX seouls i've used has been fantastic.

fishx65

Enlightened
Care to let us know how you did your mod?

Gunner already posted it in this thread. Gryloc does a great job explaining this mod and others have found some improvements. Once the module is taken apart, this mod is as easy as any other.