Bear Grylls good example

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bear Grylls really is a good example of what NOT to do in a survival situation quite often if you really pay attention. HE is nothing but entertainment and dangerous stunts

I have seen him climb down a waterfall and then jump the last 30 feet or so into a pool he supposedly does not know the depth of ahead of time, bad idea. He has ran off mountains almost completley out of control, a good way to break a leg and die of exposure. Tonight I was just flicking channels and saw him taking a "shortcut" through a river that cuts under a mountain rather than walk a few miles around. A very dangerous idea if you do not have proper exploring, spelunking and yes diving gear. Often these things turn into noting but an underground river you have to dive though, which he is now doing with no gear, yeah right...

Interesting showman ship, yes, safe no...

Some techniques might be worthwhile if you HAVE to employ them, but his thought processes and descion making is very poor survival thought process.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Interesting showman ship, yes, safe no...

To the average viewer he would seem reckless and irresponsible. Don't forget Bear has served his time in the S.A.S and they are trained in improvisation. He does a bit of showboating, but I don't consider what he does as unsafe. That's not to say the average viewer should adopt his techniques/methods but the SAS are the best of the best when it comes to getting out of situations and survival, and frankly I expect no less from a person with his background and rank. It gives you an insight on how elite soldiers deal with situations, and a lot of methods are well thought out beforehand, but you don't see that on tv.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was he ever in SAS? I remember reading that he only trained with them briefly, then got injured and returned to civilian life.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like them both, survivorman is alone by himself for a week & carries his equipment by himself. While Bear is not alone but actually will get into the situation and show how to get out like jump in quick sand or jump in the freezing cold water then show how to get warm.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the average viewer he would seem reckless and irresponsible. Don't forget Bear has served his time in the S.A.S and they are trained in improvisation. He does a bit of showboating, but I don't consider what he does as unsafe. That's not to say the average viewer should adopt his techniques/methods but the SAS are the best of the best when it comes to getting out of situations and survival, and frankly I expect no less from a person with his background and rank. It gives you an insight on how elite soldiers deal with situations, and a lot of methods are well thought out beforehand, but you don't see that on tv.

Having gone through Eagle Scouts and the military, and having hunted for almost 40 years in many states including mountain terrain, I would not exactly consider myself the average viewer of outdoors shows and he is reckless and not a good example of how to act in a survival situation. Just my opinion of course, no better or worse than your own perhaps.

The show is billed as an outdoor emergency survival type show, with techniques to help one get to civilization safely, not as a primer on how special service operators might act in said situation.

Jumping into unknown depth water is not safe from any height much less as high as he does so, period, running down mountin sides because you see bear scat is not safe, nor are many of the other stunts he shows off for the sake of television. Many of the exploits he performs are very high risk for a very low rate of return when there are easier smarter alternatives. I just hope no impressionable people watch and try to emulate him in a bad situation.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. He just doesn't come across as realistic or as a REAL operator in my opinion, some may disagree.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I agree, nobody should follow his example. But he has a few good tips and puts on an entertaining show.

If I were in circumstances like he appears to be then I would follow my training, I would survive just fine but I guess it wouldn't be very fun to watch.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
But it's on Discovery Channel so it has to be the right thing to do. If it wasn't educational it wouldn't be on discovery Channel.

/Sarcasm.

I thought it was well established that he's not the real deal. For one everything is too conveniently located for him when he needs it. He get "Lucky" too many times. Things that would take a single person days - weeks to make takes him hours with nothing more than a knife for a tool.

steveG

Enlightened
Anyone see Bear eat poopy fruit tonight? And by poopy fruit I mean poop that has traveled through the digestive system of a bear (the animal, not himself HA!).

I've had this debate many times, but I think my personal conclusion is worth repeating. If you look at the individual histories of Bear and Les, it's obvious they're both bad asses. Each has paid his dues and proven himself. But, there is a fundamental difference between the two shows. One focuses on entertainment while the other focuses on education.

While I think Survivorman is hands down a better show and a MUCH better example, Man Vs Wild does what it sets out to do... entertain. And yes, I do watch it and generally enjoy it. Although sometimes just for the comedic factor as some of the things he does are incredibly funny because they're so incredibly stupid.

That said, I think Bear's show regularly borders on irresponsible. He spends too much time focusing on getting yourself out of a tough spot when a very small amount of effort and forethought... something Les is obviously a fan of.

I suppose in my fantasy survival situation I would want the action packed Bear Grylls experience. In true life, however, I'd rather have the much more reserved Les Stroud/keep your butt out of trouble and get home alive experience.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

A lot of situations are well thought out beforehand, I would agree with that. His trips seem fairly preset, as in everything is already planned out. The crew and him knows where they are going and to what areas to go for certain situations to film.
A normal person getting lost has no idea if that pool is deep enough to jump into etc.
I would say that yes man vs wild shows some useful techniques, such as how to warm up if you fell in a frozen lake, but others I dont think are nearly as realistic and not to ever be used unless you are about to get shot or eaten by a bear.
survivor man is much more safe and practical and realistic survival. Even when not comparing them man vs wild i dont think has much educational value aside from a few useful techniques.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen 'Survivorman' so I can't comment on that ( Though I will look out for it ). But in the interest of being fair to all TV Survivalist types, I find Bear Grylls' programmes a bit too 'Look what I can do' and self congratulatory, I'm sure he is a tough guy who may deserve the success that his sensationalist show has afforded him, but I find it rather distasteful. I find that the only reason to watch is to see him suffer in some way and that is not really for me.

In his defense, he is obviously a tenacious character, who is physically able and stamina enough to survive in situations that would be fatal to most of us. I do not refer to his TV career here, more his various exploits at sea and mountainclimbing. Also he has raised a lot of money for charity over the years. I just don't like the tv programme.

Might I give an honourable mention to two men who are the real deal, Ray Mears of Bushcraft fame and Australia's Les Hiddins AKA 'The Bushtucker Man' ( a decorated vietnam vet!). Both of these shows are fascinating and enthralling as well as being educational. These men are about the craft and skills, not about how good they are at doing them.

Oh well, to each their own.

( Also, Ray Mears once advocated the use of ARC AA flashlights - at the time one of my EDC's, so I had to like him!)
:twothumbs

Last edited:

addictedmatt

Enlightened
I would stick with Bear if I was running from the natives, or escaping from somewhere, and I'd go with Les if I was stranded on an Island or my plane crashed.

Superdave

Enlightened
Survivorman is all repeats now. Les said that he's getting too old to practically starve himself for a week and carry around all that gear. He's by far the best IMO.

Bear grylls is good for the entertainment, anyone with an IQ over 90 should be able to process what he does and make their own decisions. He's all about the shock factor.. "watch me pee on my shirt and wrap it around my head, eat things out of poop, drink water out of cow-pies, etc.." I bet they have a meeting before the show and figure out what they can do to make the viewers cringe. :laughing:

that being said.. put both in a similar situation and i bet they'd both make it out. ;)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO...its like comparing 2 flashlight brands.

Some people prefer one over the other.

While some may feel Bear shows-off, others might have the physical ability & advanced training to use his techniques.
Others might relate to Les, and feel taking your time and being more safe is the way to go.
Point being, put in the situation, both give you ideas on how to deal with them and I dont feel one is "right or wrong"...just different techniques.

brucec

Enlightened
I rather enjoy Bear's show. Anyone who would drink their own pee or make tea from bat droppings certainly has my attention.