ideas for my second build

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok guys, i wanted to build a 3d dd p7 and its done. pretty much the easiest build to get started. now its time for my second build. i have alot of questions. i need help deciding between a number of different formats. of course they'll be centered around the p7 or the mce for simplicity. i wouldnt mind a sgt burkett diy kit or any similiar 18650 diy kit that would allow me to direct drive a p7. i've never done a small light build or mod, so i guess i'd be starting all over in that respect. but valuable experience is what i'm after. c2, sgt burkett, what do you guys recomend?

first what do you guys think of dx as the source for p7's and mc-e's. they're only $19 there compared to $25-30 here. i want to build up inventory for my next few builds so it could mean a $30 difference getting the dies from there. do they have good bins? sku 11809 is the p7 570-740 lumens seems low but i think thats what i bought for my p7 mag build and its terribly bright. 16849 is the mc-e. i prefer a warm color but they're usually not as bright and efficent right? thats ok, i want the warm tint for my next order.

also, i have no idea where to start for multimode drivers. i dont understand how they get their different modes, if and when they regulate voltage and buck and boost go right over my head. ok, i have a semi idea on the last two and i understand pwm, but i dont know how to choose one or how to wire or how they work. a sandwich is only involved in a flashlight build if i get hungry. i wouldnt mind a 4d mag with modes, maybe 6d. but i'll need alot of driver help, starting with selection.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok, simpler question. can you guys recomend a small diy light that will host a p7. sgt burkett would have been a good host but i think they're sold out. prefer 18650 but 14500 would be fine too. i dont want a reflector wider than the body.

i could also use a driver that gives me 3 light modes. two would be fine. are there any without strobe and sos?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
what the heck, for $12 i added one to my cart. how is that heatsinked?

however, thats not what i'm looking for. sgt burkett diy style i guess. maybe something with some modes though. is there an easy small build or mod that's already been written up as a tutorial that i dont know about?

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I stopped buying emitters from Kai and DX simply because, in my limited experience, the consistency was much better from the likes of PhotonFanatic, LITEMania and others. I've bought "locally" for the past year and a half, so things may have changed. I have only purchased a grand total of about 20 emitters over the past few years so like I said... my limited experience. The other nice thing about ordering from PhotonFanatic (and others here in the states) is that you don't have to wait for your goods to cross the pond! :D

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok. i'll take your advice. dx is slow and unreliable anyways. why does cheap always pull me back in. are there any p7 bins out there that are warm AND efficent. we usually lose a little efficency with warmth dont we? my next build will be warm, no matter what.

still, what should my 2nd build be, ive been thinking about sgt burkett style with p7 or mce.

Last edited:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I've made two P7 builds. They were both LumaPower MRV rebuilds. I put a DSWOJ in one and a CSXOI in the other. PhotonFanatic has the DSWOI available now in CPFMP, and that is what I would recommend. The SXO has a hint of blue in it where the SWO does not. SWO actually leans ever so slightly to the warm side. He describes it as vanilla which I think is right on. In case you're not up on your binning, D is the higher lumen output and I is a lower forward voltage. D---I is about the best you can get right now I think.

JamisonM

Enlightened
ok. i'll take your advice. dx is slow and unreliable anyways. why does cheap always pull me back in. are there any p7 bins out there that are warm AND efficent. we usually lose a little efficency with warmth dont we? my next build will be warm, no matter what.

still, what should my 2nd build be, ive been thinking about sgt burkett style with p7 or mce.
How about a 2C maglite?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a 2C maglite?

+1

2C Mag with a triple emitter either R2s or P4s, Shark or Maxflex driven by 2 x 18650.
At 1000 mA your looking at a minimum of +600 lu
Nearly as bright as a P7 but with more throw

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

2C Mag with a triple emitter either R2s or P4s, Shark or Maxflex driven by 2 x 18650.
At 1000 mA your looking at a minimum of +600 lu
Nearly as bright as a P7 but with more throw

Not sure how you would get more throw from small reflectors. Lets just say you go with 3 SSCP4s coupled with 3 IMS20 reflectors. I've got one of those and the throw is decent, but nowhere near as good as a P7 in the stock reflector. Sure you get a donut hole, but it still throws pretty damn far. If you went with 3 CreeXREs, you'd could use some nice McR20 reflectors, but at around $15 per reflector, it'll be pretty expensive and the throw would still only be pretty good at best. People forget that a P7 actually throws quite far with the stock Mag reflector.