opsss! I think I just killed my L2d q5

arjay

Newly Enlightened
I was shining my L2d around on turbo for a few minutes and then it just slowly dimmed and went out. I noticed that there was something rattling inside, I found that the glass dome has detached itself and is rattling around. The light was fine at the beginning and I was holding the light the whole time. I opened up the head and could smell burnt plastic or something. I wonder what happened..?I've attached a pic of the LED. :sigh:

02182009274.jpg

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
I've done something like that before. They won't go back on properly as they're bedded onto a gel that fills the emitter cavity(?).
oopsez0.jpg

The paler bits are a film of glue and airgaps, IIRC.

With any luck, all you'll need to do is replace the LED.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will need to replace the emitter... Or is it happened like you say it did then send it back for a replacement, this should never happen during normal use.

YourTime

Newly Enlightened
This can easily be fix by replacing the LED if you have the soldering iron.

I think what cause this is by excessive heat and physical disturbance. Between the glass dome and LED composing a layer of clear silicon to stick & hold them together.

I had similar problem in the past.

Last edited:

arjay

Newly Enlightened
My soldering skills is not that great and I don't have a source for a new emitter. Might be better off getting a new light.:ironic:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
This same thing happened to a cheap DX 'GREE' Cree light I had. When the dome popped off, the light slowly dimmed and died a sad death. It was not worth going through the hassle of a replacement. Surely, however, the retailer or Fenix themselves should replace/repair your L2D. Give them a shout!