Surefire L2 with rechargeable 14670 cell

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Just a question. I have a Surefire L2 which I (still) like a lot for it's "wall of light". The problem is the narrow battery tube which allows rechargeable RCR123 cells (3volt) only after having their outer foils stripped.
I found on this forum that a good solution is the use of 14670 cells. I have some questions however:
- Where can I get them (Batteryjunction does not seem to sell them)
- What charger to use (and where to buy?) Does BJ have a good one?
- Is the output still the 100 claimed lumens, or will it be less?

Lots of thanks for any answers!
Kind regards,
Joris

Bogie

Enlightened
I have been running my L2 as described for at least 2 years got my cells & charger from AW.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I've run my L2 this way also. I got mine from Lighthound.com.

Iirc on high you get the same lumens for the same time. On low you get half the output for an hour not several hours as with primaries.

22hornet

Enlightened
I've run my L2 this way also. I got mine from Lighthound.com.

Iirc on high you get the same lumens for the same time. On low you get half the output for an hour not several hours as with primaries.
Thanks for the reply. So you kinda get a 100/50 lumens light.

Theoretically my Fenix L2T RB80 has a similar output than a standard L2: 100 (tested) lumens and some 15 on low. The wide beam of the L2, however, makes it a very useful and fine light for use in buildings, so I intend to keep on using this Surefire. (besides: it's a beautiful light)

what charger do u use? I ask this because I have kinda bad experiences with cheap chargers for RCR123, both 3.0 and 3.7 volt...

Kind regards,
Joris

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. So you kinda get a 100/50 lumens light.

Sorry I wasn't clear. It is 100 lumen on high and about 7-8 lumens on low. The low beam is I think 15 lumens with primaries and you would get half that with the 14670.

AW 14768 from lighthound. http://www.lighthound.com/AW-14670-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_98.html
DSD charger from lighthound http://www.lighthound.com/DSD-2-Station-Charger_p_290.html

I've had the charger for about 3 years and has worked well for me. I charge 17670, 18670, 14670 and the rcr123 with it. hope I got the battery sizes correct. :)

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Hello,

Just a question. I have a Surefire L2 which I (still) like a lot for it's "wall of light". The problem is the narrow battery tube which allows rechargeable RCR123 cells (3volt) only after having their outer foils stripped.
I found on this forum that a good solution is the use of 14670 cells. I have some questions however:
- Where can I get them (Batteryjunction does not seem to sell them)
- What charger to use (and where to buy?) Does BJ have a good one?
- Is the output still the 100 claimed lumens, or will it be less?

Lots of thanks for any answers!
Kind regards,
Joris

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-14670-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_98.html

http://www.lighthound.com/DSD-2-Station-Charger_p_290.html

If the L2 uses a boost circuit, and it likely is...all the driver circuit could care less as long as the power does not exceed 6V and does not fall below the drivers limit to regulate.

Don't have an L2 myself but owned a couple L4s [once:ohgeez:] and ran them on 17670s fine, 14670 is just a slightly lower capacity 17670

the cell may rattle as CR123As [16340] are 63mm wide, a 14670 plus the shrink wrap should put you in 48mm range...I'd consider a paper tube of some sort if you can't stand rattle:thumbsup: Do not use tape, tape + heat = stick mess [don't ask me how i came to know this:ohgeez:]

22hornet

Enlightened
Thanks. That was my primary concern: to get the full output with the 14670 cell. If output were less, it guess I would not be worth to carry along this rather long and bulky light.

Kind regards,
joris

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Some minutes ago, I placed an order with AW for two 14670 cells + the WF139 charger. I'm actually excited to bring new life to my Surefire L2. As far as I gather, the new L4 (and future L2?) do no longer have the great wall of fire I - and others - seem to like so much.

It's really a fact that when inspecting buildings/rooms at night, the "old" L2, at 100 lumens, does a better job than a Fenix L2D rebel100 or Q5 with 20-45% more output (proven lumens).

I'm only somewhat worried 'cause I read that the luxeon V in the L2/L4 has a shortish lifespan of less than 1000 hours. Can someone confirm this?

Kind regards,
Joris

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm only somewhat worried 'cause I read that the luxeon V in the L2/L4 has a shortish lifespan of less than 1000 hours. Can someone confirm this?

Kind regards,
Joris

Um, the 1000 hour remark concerns the LuxV hitting I think 70% output, diminishing thereafter....back when I still use the L4 its ran at least half an hour each night on a span of a year...thats just under 200 hours of use. 1000 hour mark under the runtime curve would require you to replace CR123As 667 times before theres a "slight decline" in output
Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are really paranoid, secure yourself with an MC-E and contact a qualified modder you don't have the capability of modding one in.

22hornet

Enlightened
Um, the 1000 hour remark concerns the LuxV hitting I think 70% output, diminishing thereafter....back when I still use the L4 its ran at least half an hour each night on a span of a year...thats just under 200 hours of use. 1000 hour mark under the runtime curve would require you to replace CR123As 667 times before theres a "slight decline" in output
Personally I wouldn't worry about it.
Hello,
You're right, I guess. 1000 hours is already a looong time...
I'm anxiously awaiting my 14670 cells from AW with the WF139 charger.
Thanks for the reply,
Joris

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Yesterday I received my Ultrafire charger with 14670 cells from AW.
After charging (the cells ;)) I put one in my L2 and headed for the bathroom for a shower. (In the shower the light get rinsed and stays fairly cool). Contrary to running the L2 with 2 RCR123 3.0v, the light does not shut down when the cells are depleted. It dims slooowly. I stopped using it after some 40 minutes.

Kind regards,
Joris

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
please enlighten a newbie in this sirefire issue....

why 14670? and not 17670?

is the bore that tight?