Looking for general use light for in-laws

Whiteknight

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a good, general purpose light for my in-laws. It will be used for everything from looking around under the kitchen sink to spotting the dog across the yard (150-200 ft). I'm thinking that it should probably be AA powered, to save them the trouble of having to purchase CR123As, and should have multiple levels to best accommodate a variety of uses. I'd like to keep it under $50. Any suggestions?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
L2D sounds like a good choice to me, too. Use 4Seven's discount and the price will be just below $50.

Geoff

Kremer

Enlightened
Your requirements pretty much drive it to that: AA, $50, multilevel.

But as a general purpose family drawer light I would pick something larger than an L2D, it could get misplaced wayy too easily. For that type of use I'd go for something in the 2C or 2D range. That 200L Homedepot Husky might be good, but it's not multilevel.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd get them a SL Propoly 4AA. No need for the latest and fanciest, multimode light. In fact, that just messes with most people who expect a light to go on/off-period.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the L2T V2.0 or Icon Rouge would be better. 2 Mode, so simpler to use(having more then 2 modes can prevent some people from using it because it's too "complex"), AA powered, forward clickie. The Icon is larger and the Fenix is smaller.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For generic loaner use to family/friends, you need something with good runtime and decent output on alkaline batteries. That usually means C or D cells. The typical person, in a power failure, for example, needs flood far more than throw to accommodate: navigating, seeing to kids/pets, searching indoors/attic/garage/basements, general room illumination (impromptu lantern duty), auto/household repair, etc. It also has to be dead simple to use, with no "modes" or anything else for the borrower to know or remember. Inexpensive and dependable are key.

So, I loan my Mag 2D Rebel with diffusion lens. Oddly enough, the all-throw Mag reflector shining through LDF makes great general purpose light (no rings or artifacts) with some ability retained for a bit of throw if needed. You also get candle mode (lantern). The Mag has all of the above advantages; everyone knows what it is, doesn't need instruction, and they'll have an easy time using it; off/on. If you must, Mag is supposed to be coming out with a multimode 3C version soon.

And it costs 30. Mags are hardly my favorite lights, but they are perfect for this application. Sometimes best of all, you don't have to listen to questions or explain your odd hobby or how much you paid for this weird light...

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Phaserburn that the Mag 2D Rebel is a great option - good runtime, decent output, $30. If you want multiple output (>100 hours runtime on low), take a look at the Brinkmann 3W dimming LED flashlight here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193331

Compared to the 2D Rebel it is floodier (but still very bright), has 4 brightness levels, lighter weight (plastic instead of aluminum housing) and right now you can get it at Target for $16. For $50, you can get your in-laws 3 of these flashlights - and they will never be out lights.