Walking the Dog Rechargeable?

timmyg123

Newly Enlightened
Wifey will be out with new dog around the yard. Thinking easily rechargeable and fairly floody but bright, cheap as possible.

Any leads?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Cradle charge or removable rechargeable batteries?
What kind of quality?
What's your price range?
How bright?
How much throw?
Runtime?

timmyg123

Newly Enlightened
Cradle
Low to mid quality
Under $50?
100+ lumens
50+ ft throw
1+ hour runtime

Does that help narrow it down much?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't remember any cradle charging floody light around that price range.

There's a Dorcy light or two that is cradle charged and withing your price range. It's a very throwy light though so you will probably need to use a diffuser.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

pipspeak

Enlightened
There are a bunch of good cradle-rechargeables above $50 (streamlight, surefire, inova, pelican etc.) but none I've come across under $50 that fit the bill.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second removing the batteries for charging. You will have A LOT more choices in your price range.

timmyg123

Newly Enlightened
Ok, what rechargeables would be most recommended in this case, with the longest runtimes between charges?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Longest time between use or longest runtime for the light?

I'm guessing the first one. If yes, look at low self discharge NiMh batteries or Li-ion batteries. Both should last at least a year with more then usable charge left.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of good resources for helping you to quickly understand the differences between the various rechargeable battery options and how they should be maintained:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201375

Do understand that like LEDs, battery technology is also improving and changing rapidly, so spend some time over in the "Flashlight electronics, batteries included" forum to get the most up to date information.

One other point. I think many CPFers will agree.... it's worth it to go ahead and buy premium rechargeable cells to start with, especially if you go with lithium-ion cells. They will generally perform better, have better quality control, and have less chances of problems down the road.