Anybody into Yoga?

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to try but around my area there isn't any classes. Anyone teach themselves Yoga? What books, DVD's or articles did you use?

I'd like to learn, it seems like a useful set of tools for health...

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yoga is getting very popular and is a great way to maintain flexibility and health. I've never tried it before, but I'm sure you can easily pick up a DVD that covers the basics.

Good luck!:twothumbs

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The local YMCA in your area probably has classes. At least the one that I do some part-time work in does. They are mostly filled with women, if that's a problem, or maybe it's a plus. I've been tempted to try it, since it's right there, but might try the home route first. Let us know if you find some info, please. I've got a touch of sciatica and my back could stand some stretching, plus age is starting to creep up.

There's other more rigorous exercise/calisthenics type classes also at the Y, and you can usually pay a one day fee if you don't wish to join. Might be a good way to learn some techniques to use at home.

Geoff

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
The most helpful book I've found is "Yoga for Dummies". Very basic poses and stretches. GREAT for the beginner and only as strenuous as you want it to be. Myself, I like the calmer, "cooling" discipline of Hatha Yoga. It does what I want it to do... relax me... :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get out to 24hr fitness and do yoga twice a week. I also do some yoga poses at home most days on my Wii Fit. I use a lot of Yoga poses for athletic warm ups, especially when teaching adults.
In my professional opinion as a pro Martial Arts athlete and professional gymnastics coach yoga is one of the greatest fundamental workouts that one can do for overall fitness.
There is a large difference between doing some yoga poses and doing an actual Yoga class though. A yoga class is calming, relaxing and energizing. It all has to do with the atmosphere that is set for the class. It's quite hard to get the full effect in your home sometimes. It's also nice just having someone telling you what to do instead of having to think of it. That though process generally interrupts that nice replaced beta state that we want to get the mind into.

Over the past few years Yoga has gotten everywhere. YMCA, Community centers, 24hr Fitness, or any other chain gym will likely offer classes. Keep looking around, you're bound to find it if you're in any sort of population center.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most helpful book I've found is "Yoga for Dummies".

I'm going to have to get that. I have sprained/strained my SI (sacroilliac) area twice in the last 18 months, and need to get a handle on it before its too late. Some core strengthening, stretching and flexibility, and a little weight loss (love belly) should get me headed in the right direction.

my Wii Fit

We have that too, though I haven't yet tried it.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I try to do yoga as often as I can (my best friend is a yoga instructor here in Chicago), but lately, once a week would be a lot. It helps me in so many ways - and not just physically. :) He recommends "Yoga: The Iyengar Way" for reading... it goes into great depth, from beginner poses, to the super-advanced poses.

We have Wii Fit as well, but I've found the yoga poses to be not nearly as helpful as classes... although WOW is that "game" fun! I prefer the balance activities.

levitatemk0.gif
john

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the Oxygen Channel, watch Inhale with Steve Ross.
6 A.M. Monday -Friday It's a lot of previously taped shows that tend to loop.

If you see this guy and a bunch of students in sweats, you found it. He adds music and humor to his classes.
http://steveross.com/

If you like it, I would suggest you record it. Oxygen tends to drop it out of the blue from time to time until faithful watchers get irate and send nasty e-mails to them.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm going to have to get that. I have sprained/strained my SI (sacroilliac) area twice in the last 18 months, and need to get a handle on it before its too late. Some core strengthening, stretching and flexibility, and a little weight loss (love belly) should get me headed in the right direction.

We have that too, though I haven't yet tried it.

One of the best exercises going for strengthening the core and back, bar none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0jalJ-3e7U

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco sometimes sells yoga videos every once in a while. Borders books has all kinds of material and videos. My back went out many moons ago. After lots of physical therapy my wife convinced me to take yoga classes at 24 Hour Fitness. It was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. My back rarely gives me problems anymore. The gym I now belong has excellant yoga instructors. I go once a week. I also stretch in front of the TV.

Beginners should definitely take classes. Once the instructors get to know you they will get up close and personal when they adjust you. There are many different types of yoga (just like flashlights!). You need to try them all.

Do it!

Latest posts