My wife challenged me to a runtime test, low for 1 week?

netprince

Enlightened
So I was toying around with one of my recent creations, trying out the different drive levels indoors. While the light was on low, I happened to mention to my wife that I thought the light should run for 1 week on this setting. She saw how bright the low setting is, and immediately said something like 'no way, prove it.'

Here is the light I'm talking about:
IMG_0565_1%28448%29.jpg

This light is a 2D maglite, with a maxflex driver and a cree r2 emitter. I normally run the light on eneloops (3p2s), but it works perfectly well on low with D cells.

The question is, will the D cells run the light for 7 days straight?? I tried running the numbers:

runtime_challenge.jpg

I pulled the maH (conservatively) from http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/E95.pdf.

So I was thinking about running a week long test if I have reason to believe it will work. No need to waste the batteries if there is reason to believe its not going to last that long... What do you think?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
7 days full output or 7 days usable output?

Either way I think it should run for a week.

I'd say go for it.

netprince

Enlightened
It would be 7 days on low, which is about 40ma. I'm not sure how to calculate the output in lumens, but it is very usable. In fact, its too bright for keeping your night vision. I will have to grab a fresh set of D cells and see how long they last...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
40ma should be in the range of 5-15lm for a cree XR-E. It should be as bright or brighter than an ARC AAA. But that is the ballpark.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with your wife...no way you can run for a week constantly on low. ;)

The light on the other hand looks like it will.