How to replace the lens in a 6P strike bezel without special tool?

concept0

Enlightened
Let me preface this by saying that I've searched for an answer for quite a while. People seem to get pretty touchy about people repeatedly asking how to replace a lens, but I can't find a thread with this particular answer...

I recently replaced the lens on my G2 using some boiling water and needlenose pliers. I can't use the same method on the strike bezel because there are an odd number of notches for the pliers to grip. In other words, since the notches aren't directly across from each other, I can't make that technique work.

Anybody know how to replace the lens without scratching up my bezel?

If there's no way to do it without a special tool, does anybody want to loan me one? I'll pay shipping both ways...

krazy89

Enlightened
hey bud...

couple things u might wanna try... i don't know how much loctite is on the bezel... but i find that using the white styrofoam(like the ones u get in the box of something like a tv...), just push the strike bezel into the foam and try twisting... you can even heat the bezel a lil bit... but not too much as the foam can tend to melt at higher temps...

if it's a lil more stubborn... get a piece of 2x4 wood... use a drill...and drill some holes into the wood where the bezel sticks out... push down as your turn... and you can heat the bezel up for this... as wood is more heat resistant...

hope that helps...

KraZy

concept0

Enlightened
Excellent suggestion... thanks!

I pressed the bezel into a piece of wood to make indentations of the crown. Then I went over the indentations with a dremel to make them deeper.

I soaked the bezel in boiling water for a couple minutes, picked it up with a towel, and then pressed it hard into the indentions while turning it. It opened right up!