What is the big deal about the Arc AAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drjones

Enlightened
I've heard SO much about this thing, and have checked it out online. It seems pretty impressive.

- HOW does it turn on???

- What is the huge deal about this? It seems like an absolute necessity the way everyone talks about it. This isn't a flame or anything, just an honest question, as everyone seems "in" on it except me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Considering the price, size, and output, I'm considering a few for me and family.

Thanks!
Drjones

ufokillerz

Enlightened
You twist the head and it turns on

it is a small single AAA light that drives a 5mm nichia LED, and has a boost circuit in it that allows a led to run close to spec.

Think Bright, small and good runtimes from a single AAA.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 10 hour light that fits on your keychain and can easily light up a path in front of you, whether you're in the woods or in your home, and is a good emergency light and runs on a single AAA...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and if you leave it on too long the circuitry will detect not enough forward voltage and go into "moon mode" and the LED will just glow, I think forever. If you turn if off while it is in "moon mode" and the battery has enough chemistry to re-constitute itself, *think, car won't start; leave it alone for several hours, then it will start* when you try the ARC AAA again the circuitry detects enough forward voltage and it lights up almost as bright as if it had new batteries.

The power of an ARC AAA is not in brightness at all, though for a single 5mm nichia, it is quite sweet. The power is in its' performance. If everything I owned worked as well as an ARC AAA I would seldom have to buy anything.

I wish I had believed Saaby and darell and others right away when they basically told me, 'don't think, just get.'

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AAA is one of those few genuine lights you really can't go wrong if you buy it; it'll serve its purpose...

Drjones

Enlightened
Well, darnit...I saw one on sale here for $12, so I'm gettin' it! Seems too cool to pass up...

Thanks guys!!!

Tomas

Banned
It's one of those nice designs that just sits in the corner waiting to be used, and when asked, works it's little heart out.

It's also one rugged little beast, and very simple and easy to feed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's what years and years of penlights tried to be but just couldn't cut it.

tomsig02.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both The arc AAA LE, and the arc AAA UV that I got had intermittent operation problems.

The LE had problems from day one, and the UV worked fine for a day or two, then began the same problem.

The UV arc I bought here in B/S/T, which was a brand new warranty replacement for the member I bought it from, will be sent in for repair/replacement Monday.

I am wholly unimpressed with the arc AAA quality control.

My next keyring light will be a CMG Infinity Ultra, or Sonic.

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said (about the Epieon):
When the manufacturer/retailer decides to use me (the customer) as their quality control personnel..., we part ways.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where I am with arc AAAs.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shankus, that stinks! Maybe I should buy for you...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Through probably ~50+ orders, I've yet to get a bad AAA...

dtsoll

Enlightened
I always have a AAA LE on me. I think it is my most used light. I work nights and when I come home the wifey has the doors locked, its dark and I'm carrying coffee cups, cell phone, work shirts, etc., It's very easy to turn the AAA on and light up the keyholes, esp when I'm wearing it around my neck on a lanyard. It's also great for taking the dog out after dark, walking through the house at night etc. I love my AAA's and now that I think about it, they are far and above my most used light. dtsoll

BigMac

Enlightened
I felt the same way about the arc, untill I actually got one. I couldn't see what the big deal was untill I actually got to carry it around. It is a great light. I'm getting a green one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
The ARC-AAA is my most used (90%) and useful light. I wear it 24/7 on a neck lanyard. My other two EDC lights are Photon II yellow and ARC LS.

White Photon lights are super small, and bright, and well built. But it has with poor useful-light runtime for the expensive, and at times unavailable, batteries. Non-waterproof II, and marginally waterproof I and III.

The CMG Ultra AA has good runtime and cheap, readily available batteries. Also very well built. But it's too big for most keychains and shows under a shirt when worn on a lanyard. Waterproof.

The ARC-AAA is between the CMG and Photon in size and thus at home on a lanyard, and probably most keychains. It has decent useful-light runtime, and cheap readily available batteries. Also very well built. Waterproof. And very reputable and friendly CS.

All three lights as well as some others I've not mentioned, have their advantages, but for many people, the ARC has the best combination of features.

You can't go far wrong with an ARC-AAA.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
so far all intermitant problems i've had with my arc AAA were fixed with a good cleaning of the threads and contacts. after i got my LSH-P i gave my arc AAA though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc is so small and easy to carry, so it is very likely that if you take a flashlight with you, it will be the Arc. I have one with me right now, even though it is broad daylight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened
Here's my story:

For many, many, many years...I have had a Maglite Solitaire with my keys. "Decent" light output (for the time), nice quality all around. When the finish would wear off to bare silver, I'd go purchase another one and replace it.

When the Photons (and their likes) came around, although they were significantly brighter than my Solitaire, I just thought they looked too "girlie" for my keychain. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying guys with Photons are "girlie" or anything. I just think that it's too girlie for me. You know..."cute and small". So the Photons were put to use in other ways. Like taking them apart and discovering the facinating world of LED's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But when I discovered the ARC AAA....WOW! I was in love. Not only is it smaller than a Solitaire, it has a finish that's alot more durable, takes a AAA batt, can be knocked around (keys chucked across the room onto a table) w/o the light source breaking, and best of all, it was "handsome" and not "cute".

paulr

Flashaholic
I carried a Mag Solitaire for a while and it was crap. The battery contact spring thingie was unbelievably badly designed and so unreliable that the light quickly became useless. I replaced it with a series of Photon II's that I had somewhat better luck with, though Photons are still not great. I got the Arc AAA recently and am delighted with it. Tomas's description of the Arc is very well stated. It's what years and years of penlights tried to be.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I guess my story is much like others... Started with the tiny M*g light on my key ring. It was weak and I was never really happy with the output. It was a very pleasant suprise to discover the Photon series of lights. I then found CPF and the first light that I read about and knew I must try was the "AAA". I thought that the size was better than the Photon for me and the output and runtime were amazing from a 1 aaa light. I took the plunge and have never looked back. It is more useful to me simply because I always have one with me. It is simple to use, maintain, and very durable. Definately my most used light. That is saying alot considering I also carry and use an LS for EDC. The McLux w/flood has not cut into the use time of the "AAA" either.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
as i said in another thread...when the world is completely and utterly destroyed, the arc aaa's will be the only thing left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

small, bright, durable, attractive, waterproof...wow.

also, i would like to point out that shankus is in the vast minority. very recently, peter posted the results of the aa and ls return rates...while i don't remember the actual numbers, they were both under 1%, whereas industry standards are closer to 5% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

tardis

Newly Enlightened
Hi..

I haven't got an Arc AAA yet and before you chastise me for disobeying CPF membership rules, I would like to say 'I'm looking for one, I'm looking !' Can't seem to find one in Bangkok though, so I'll probably order from the net instead.

Which version/model of the AAA would you reccommend ? Plain, LE, PE ???

Thanks for your help

Regards
Tardis

Status
Not open for further replies.