Lightweight, wide beam option, water proof?

klas1

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a good camping headlamp. I would prefer it's a lightweight, wide beam option and waterproof/water resistant. The best I found so far is TEC EOS, but it doesn't seem to have wide beam, unless I am not reading the specs correctly. What are the choices out there?

likeguymontag

Enlightened
Looking for a good camping headlamp. I would prefer it's a lightweight, wide beam option and waterproof/water resistant. The best I found so far is TEC EOS, but it doesn't seem to have wide beam, unless I am not reading the specs correctly. What are the choices out there?

The (new) EOS and the Quad both have only one beam setting. (diffusion setting, I mean. they have H/M/L obviously) Both are pretty floody though, with the Quad somewhat more floody than the EOS. Both would be good for camping, and in fact I would swear that Princeton Tec redesigned the beam of the new EOS with feedback from hikers and campers. It's neither pure flood nor pure spot, but a very nice, smooth hybrid. In fact, I'd rather have a light like this than one with a selectable diffuser. I find that lights with snap-in-place diffusers are often too floody with it in place, and not floody enough with it retracted.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The Rebel EOS has a nice mix of flood and throw. Also good runtime, regulation and output. One big pro of the newer EOS is a true low setting for in camp work.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The (new) EOS and the Quad both have only one beam setting. (diffusion setting, I mean. they have H/M/L obviously) Both are pretty floody though, with the Quad somewhat more floody than the EOS. Both would be good for camping, and in fact I would swear that Princeton Tec redesigned the beam of the new EOS with feedback from hikers and campers. It's neither pure flood nor pure spot, but a very nice, smooth hybrid. In fact, I'd rather have a light like this than one with a selectable diffuser. I find that lights with snap-in-place diffusers are often too floody with it in place, and not floody enough with it retracted.

Took the words right out of my, umm, fingertips? I too have the new EOS and also the Rayovac 1aa with a diffuser as described and it's hard to get a beam for my uses from it. The EOS on the other hand has a very incredibly useful beam close and medium range (haven't used it long range so can't say how that is). And if you're really lucky, you'll get a really great tint.

likeguymontag

Enlightened
is there a spec on how wide the beam is?

No, not really. The best you'll get is the beamshots in this thread, which has a lot of other useful discussion about the EOS. The beamshots don't describe the experience of using the lamp though. In my experience, the beam is very nicely shaped for working with my hands or hiking, and other folks on the forum corroborate that.

klas1

Newly Enlightened
I decided to give a shot and get Black Diamond Spot Camo. Yes, it's not regulated, but at least it has wide option.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say UK Vizion. I love my Vizion.. it sees use as one of my EDC lights.(Don't have to use it all that often,as the power rarely goes out in downtown Portland,OR..but it's nice to have it just in case.)I'll attest to its waterproofness,as I tested it out by taking a shower wearing my new headlight.(room lights off,of course..) It worked flawlessly.