Disappointed with darell, the same for Saaby too.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess we all have other things to deal with besides dialoging here at CPF.

It is nice that some of the OLDER members have confidence in passing the torch.

I like that many of us semi-newbies are entrusted with telling folks about ARCs, SFs and Mods.

Yes, I know Saaby has accepted many duties that help to proliferate the extenuations of CPF.

Yes, I know darell has accepted many duties that help to proliferate excellence in flashlights.

Yes, I see them both very, very occasionally stepping in with pearls of wisdom. I just don't think some of the newest brilliant members even know who Saaby or darell are.

I'm not sure what to do here.

Maybe I miss the very smart and youthful Saaby explaining things to me. Maybe I miss the incredibly intelligent darell explaining things to me. I just don't think that's really it.

I think that they could both be more interactive with the newer CPF members.

I think the only way I might encourage them is to mis-spell their names. OK. I'm dissapointed with Sabby and Darrel.

Or, maybe it is not this deep at all. Maybe I just miss Sabby getting uppity with Darrel and watching Darrel whipping Sabby...knowing full well that Saabman ain't gonna take it and will sneak up on Dagwood when he least expects it...knowing full well that Durwood can handle it.

Hmm...Darellasaurus and Saabalino, makin' copies. I used to think I knew who was the smartest. Now...I'm just not sure.

- Iceboy

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF evolves all the time. I think as newer people gather lights and start to fiddle around with them, ask questions, gain knowledge, and becomes "experts" in them, they take on a more interactive role when it comes to answering a question of someone newer than them.

I remembered coming here in early November '02, not so much a new flashaholic, but was overwhelmed with info and dialogue about the lights. As I begin to post more, gain more interest, I find I can actually start answering some question I myself have faced before, hence the cycle...

Who knows. Maybe Darell or Saaby are just very busy. Maybe there are now other things in life that are more important than flashlights (like family or career). In any case, guys like Darell, Saaby, McGizmo, Dat2zip, LEDMuseum, Elektrolumens, Lambda, Mr Bulk, these guys have been here long enough to earn the respect they receive when they post on a topic. I, for one, respect their opinions each time I read them, knowing that the knowledge I gain from them, I can maybe pass on to someone who asks me that same question...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tomas

Banned
Re: Disappointed with darell, the same for Saaby t

Icey, it's something I've seen in every discussion group I've been in on-line since June of 1982: The greybeards answer the same questions for increasing numbers of newbies until they sort of burn out. They still dig in and answer NEW questions and COMPLEX questions, but there are only so many times one can tell a newbie "an Arc AAA takes AAAs" before one screams silently the next time one sees the same question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've gone through that cycle many times myself. It's simply human nature.

There comes a point where the old sages MUST pass the torch on to the young bulls, and hopefully the young bulls will be ready for the challenge, and can continue passing the lore.

It's not a lack of interest, it's simply burnout.

Right now, for example, I'm disengaging from two other groups where I can no longer answer the simple questions without going out and killing something afterward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... I've done that with three other groups in the past two years.

Sadly, in this group, I can only respond to some limited areas because I'm not really a modder or collector, and I don't have experience (nor will I ever) in the more esoteric areas. We all have to depend on our existing sages, but we also have to depend on the young bulls picking up the torch and carrying it forward. The newbies, especially, depend on that.

tomsig03.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Nah--it's just the fact that, not kidding at all here, my 4000 some odd posts, in combination with a lifetime of inproper computer use is catching up to me. I seem to be developing a RSI of some sort at the tender young age of 16 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Shouldn't this be in Cheers n' Jeers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened

>>lifetime of inproper computer use

How many times have we told you to stay off those dirty sites!

Skyline

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Nah--it's just the fact that, not kidding at all here, my 4000 some odd posts, in combination with a lifetime of inproper computer use is catching up to me. I seem to be developing a RSI of some sort at the tender young age of 16 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

www.tifaq.com

I happen to use Goldtouch adjustable keyboards both at work and at home and I believe they've helped hand/wrist comfort.

Darell

Flashaholic

Yeah, I'm slipping. How long did it take me to find this thread? Looks like about eight hours (though it started at Dark:30) - that NEVER would have happened a year ago, huh?

I always enjoy Icebreak's threads, and I hate it when I let him down like this. BUT, there is an element of reality in all of the posts here so far.

1. Burnout: Tomas nailed this one. Plus I just don't keep up with the latest product offerings like I used to. After getting together with the likes of McGizmo and Dat2zip and the gang, regular "store-bought" flashlights just don't do it for me anymore.

2. Other interests: Flashlights have always taken second seat to my EV interests, and this has been a busy year in the EV world. I have attended many meetings and hearings, and I've helped to write some lengthy documents. Adding LEDs to my Rav4EV has taken a bit of time too...

2a. McLux: You may have noticed that during the "McLux" phase, that none of the Skunks really posted about much else. We nailed down the hatches to get this thing out. Some days saw enough Skunk email to choke a horse.

3. Family: As my daughter approaches THREE years old, I feel more and more guilty if I don't spend every waking moment with her. Sometimes my wife wants me to spend money on something OTHER than flashlights too. Go figure. I also tend to travel quite a bit with my family which cramps my on-line style.

4. SIZE of CPF: Damn! Do you see how huge this thing has gotten? There was a time when I'd greet every new member, and I made many friends that way. Now I can hardly read a single forum to my satisfaction in a day of trying. Once upon a time, I'd read every post every day, and reply to many of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'm afriad those days are gone forever.

5. Health: I too have some serious tendon problems in both wrists. Add that to my arthritis, and there are some days that see me sitting here very quietly indeed.

Thanks for the reality check, Jeff. Nice to know that somebody cares. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
... I'm disengaging from two other groups where I can no longer answer the simple questions without going out and killing something afterward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you could go outside and step on a spider or something. That would take care of the "killing something" urge. Or you could squish a cockroach under the sink or flush a carpet beetle or clothes moth down the toliet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
(Well, flushing something is probably a waste of water.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I admit, I haven't quite been myself since I got home from the hospital (I'm a lot slower than before), but that's another thread altogether. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I try to answer questions as I receive them, but more often than not somebody else has answered before I even see them.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

FalconFX -

Exactly. A cycle of respect and knowledge. I like that.

Tomas -

I'm thinking that in a year or so I'll experience the same thing. Actually, your posts and answers have been very helpful.

Saaby -

RSI? I can believe that.

I'm sure you know that many here appreciate your continued efforts.

I rv too -

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Skyline -

Good site. Good point. Thanks.

darell -

I knew you had been very busy with McLux and EV legislation. And yea, family first.

The knowledge the pros brought to CPF long ago still ripples through the threads. I've noticed we've lost a couple of them. I see most of the "grey beards" are a little more selective with their contributions but that's probably best.

Craig -

You're doing great from what I see. I don't think speed or quantity are what many CPFers focus on. But sometimes everyone knows, "That's a question for Craig."

Well, as I approach my 1,000th post I do find myself spending more time on other interests and responsibilities. I'm having more fun with CPF that way. Alas, I still miss the jibs, jabs and whippin's. I guess the old Tree Hugger has taught the upstart Tyrant so much that it isn't necessary any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

School is a big part of it too--I joined mid-summer and then school came along and cut my CPF time dramatically. Summer is approaching again and I promice that when I get my Mac I'll look into some voice recognition software, my current personal computer is just too old to handle it and my dads computer shares a room with the TV.

AS for my wrists--my right wrist has been bugging me for probably 2 years now but I just ignored it...how foolish of me! I've got a long life of computing ahead of me though (I want to go into automotive engineering) so although it's probably too late to stop it early, hopefully I can reverse it before it gets too bad.

Let the buy Saaby an Aeron fund begin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
The knowledge the pros brought to CPF long ago still ripples through the threads. I've noticed we've lost a couple of them. I see most of the "grey beards" are a little more selective with their contributions but that's probably best.

[/ QUOTE ]
There was a time when I felt like the ultimate CPF surfer dude. I'd catch every wave and ride it home. These days I keep getting crushed by the whitecaps every time I attempt to paddle out to the deep water.

Still, if I find somebody begging to have their stupidity pointed out, I'm usually RIGHT there with a helping hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll second the statement about the size of CPF these days.

By the standards we're talking about here, I'm still a "Newbie" really, but I do remember that when I joined...er...~6mths ago I *think* that I used to be able to do a fairly good job of keeping track of at least the areas I'd posted to. Now however, it is just too big to keep track of all the major areas, and throw what little I know into all the posts that it could be useful...it's common for me to post something nowadays, and forget about it for 2 weeks before I find it again!
That's not a complaint! It's great that this place is growing like this (apart from maybe for the poor souls who have to manage it!), but it does make keeping track of things harder.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ice, was there anything in particular you would like to know?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saaby I got one of them Aerons, and right now it's the only piece of furniture in my 'house' - a smooth flat concrete slab with a partial roof and framing - I push off in the chair and roll across the slab from one side of the house to the other; "wheeeeeeee..."
Only one thing you have to watch out for with those chairs; if sap from the wood cieling of the shed you're storing the chair in drips onto the seat mesh material, it melts! Shouldn't be a problem for you though...

(I have the xl size and it could be a little deeper in the seat, ie. more thigh support outward towards the knee, but it's still a nice chair..)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
Ice, was there anything in particular you would like to know?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
but there are only so many times one can tell a newbie "an Arc AAA takes AAAs" before one screams silently the next time one sees the same question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I know that feeling............. I just give instructions on how to use the "Search" feature now.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've been here awhile and find that I can answer many of the questions that I used to ask, but compared to the guys mentioned here I am and will probably always be a newbie or quasi-newbie. Especially with the tech stuff.

I too miss the presence and spirited exchanges of and between darell and Saaby, and others who hardly ever post anymore like Jahn, KT and the rest. Sometimes when I mention a "Graybeard" name while answering a newbie post I'll give a very brief explanation of who the person was.

I remember Trevor (Aragorn) complaining that CPF was losing its sense of tradition (and him all of 17).

Whenever I saw questions that I could answer I did my best to respond, and I finally began to experience the same burnout, or disengagement that others have felt.

Is there such a thing as a CPF that is simply too big? I've been present during the birth and growth of several enterprises and the early energy, excitement, closeness, enthusiasm is wonderful. When the enterprise grows big enough to be a victim of its own success the fun and intimacy start to slide. It can still be good, but never the same. There's no way to avoid it.

Should we set periodically revisable membership limits? 4500 members through 2003, 500 allowed in 2004, etc. That might help preserve a feeling of community, but also create problems of its own.

OTOH, what percentage of members are regular posters? It's pretty small. I still recognize the names of many.

OK, I just changed my mind. I propose a 4500-4700 member limit through 2003, the others to be put on a waiting list with date priority.

Plus a modest membership fee (amount to be determined by poll and "scholarships" available to those who need them)

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Brightnorm said: Plus a modest membership fee (amount to be determined by poll and "scholarships" available to those who need them)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that - a buck a month or ten a year would be about right to help cover the costs ... It would take some of the pressure off the current 'payer-of-bills' and would still not be a tremendous burden to most. For those to whom yet another bill is one too many, "scholarships" to CPF sound like a wonderful idea.

(In another community I'm a part of, the members can also pay the way for others by simply paying a year's worth and putting it on the other member's ID. It actually works rather well, and there is even a small pile set aside for 'those-in-need' of membership assistance, paid by those who feel that they need to put more into the community. BTW, it's all done by PayPal over there, and their rate is US$20/year, payable in as many quarters (US$5) as one wishes.)