Best beam: 9AN+KT3 or 8AX+KT5 ?

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all,
I recently bought two 9n with 3" turboheads and they are really wonderful: very tight and clean beam and in my opinion, they are great looking flashlights. However, they lack some features I would like to have: lotc, pyrex glass and more compact turbohead. As I'm an sf fan, it's out of question for me to buy anything else. Therefore I'm hesitating between the two above mentioned lights. Has anyone compared the beams from 9ankt and 8axkt ? I would choose the one with the tightest spot and whitest beam.
Thanks for the replies,

François.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 9AN+KT3 beam is significantly different from the 9NT beam.

The KT3 produces a broader beam that gives it a force of impact over a wider target area at closer ranges compared to the N3.

The KT5 (I have 8NX+KT5) uses the same TurboHead as the KT1 & KT2. You can also use the SRTH, T and "12PM" TurboHeads with the N5 lamp.

I was impressed with the KT5 compared to the KT3 and the other KT's. It's beam is tight and round and bright. Only just shorter than the 9AN+KT3, I don't use the 8NX+KT5 nearly as often but I do consider it a worthwhile accessory for the 8AX/8NX - it gives you the option to put forth a more forceful beam that is more useful outside.

Al

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Klaus,
I stand corrected on the absence of LOTC on the 8 series.

I would just like to figure out what the beam angles are for the kt5 and kt3.
I've measured the hotspot at 20' for the following lights:

9nt: 20"
3" earliest version with n1: 15" (very tight !)
3" second version with n1: 18"
m6: 2'x3'
magcharger at it's tightest: 20" (more difficult to measure because of it's interesting shape...)

Can someone do the same measures for the kt5 and kt3 ?

François.

K-T

*Moderator*
Now I remember I wanted to measure these hotspots for you...sorry,will do as soon as possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif