5W Luxeon Light Shoot Out

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Tonight I realized that I had at least four different 5W Luxeon Lights sitting in front of me, all of which I had tested individually at one time or another, so here are their photographs:

fc204e1c.jpg

They are, from left to right:

1) Space Needle II

2) ElektroLumens Blaster VI

3) McGizmo E2e/E2C/Turbohead

4) McGizmo Pelican M6

All have 5W Lambertian Luxeons.

And here are the beamshots in the same order:

fc204e20.jpg

Light meter readings are as follows:

1) SNII - 8,380 lux

2) EL - 1,657 lux

3) E2e/Turbo - 3,500 lux

4) PM6 (now w/B270 lens) - 1,479 lux

Ain't this just a dandy addiction we all share?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I have a good guess what the Mystery light is, but the gag order has been observed...

Pretty shocking how the SNII absolutely blows everything else away, being that it's the only smooth surface reflector of the bunch... I can only imagine the difussed Lux lost from the faceted reflectors...

Great beamshots!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
You didn't keep a NexNeedle for youself? How would it compare to this group?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my NexNeedle literally all the time. It's my "bright" light of choice that I reach for when I need something more than my BB500. I would also be interested to know how it stacks up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie,

Very interesting line up of beam shots there! It would help even more, I think, if you could provide the current going to the lights as well as rank, if known of the LED's. The turbo is at 660 mA and bin unknown. The PM6 is 750 mA, V2.

The angle and intensity of the flood beam is also reasonably apparent on the carpet as well as the wall. Another useful tidbit of information would be the OD of the bezels.

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Candlepower is a needlepoint in a lux measurement, which, in itself, is a measure of lumens falling on a square meter area... The Blaster VI isn't exactly a tightly focused beam. Otherwise, it'd register much more than 1657 lux... Knock 5-10% efficiently off of the collimators and you get an even lower number. And add to the fact tha the SNII is direct driven and the Blaster VI isn't, and you'll get a big brightness difference.

Lots of variables...

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My direct drive Blaster VI has a much wider beam with good throw, lights up a much larger area, Spaceneedle II has a big corona and small hot spot. The Blaster VI appears to put out more total light to me, it lights up an area as opposed to a spot.(the spill from the Spaceneedle II also lights up a larger area but not as a throw.) The lux measurements can be deceiving. It's simply a longer throw, smaller spot vs a shorter throw larger beamed area.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie,

I think I know what prototype #5 is. (Mag's New 5 watt LED light, right?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif (Seriously, I think I know!)

So to re-state, #5 is a very wide flood, just the opposite of #1, the SNII.

Well, if that is the case, then I will enjoy #5, because I already have a SNII.

Bruce

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
The Blaster VI puts out a lot of light overall, but it is spread out and there is a fuzzy dark hole in the middle of the beam that I can't rid of no matter how I turn the head.

The Space Needles still do put out more light overall though, because of the emitter screening process they all go through.

The NexNeedle has great output for its size, but due to the small and shallow reflector (a by-product of its smaller size) it would not be fair to compare it.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
Charlie,

I think I know what prototype #5 is. (Mag's New 5 watt LED light, right?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif (Seriously, I think I know!)

So to re-state, #5 is a very wide flood, just the opposite of #1, the SNII.

Well, if that is the case, then I will enjoy #5, because I already have a SNII.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

#5? What #5? I don't know of any #5. Do you see a #5 in the original post? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let some red dirt blow over from Kaua'i to punish this tease

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Bulk,

Hey! What happended to the #5 mystery light? It was there this morning, in both pictures. Now, poof, it's gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Why did you remove it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
man...i hate it when people edit things and i miss out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

to take this quote from mr bulk..:
"The NexNeedle has great output for its size, but due to the small and shallow reflector (a by-product of its smaller size) it would not be fair to compare it"

is it really fair to compare a 9v, mag reflector, and selected luxeon to any of these other lights? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NexNeedle ought to have been the 2nd or 3rd best performer of the group, probably even beating out the E2e Turbo...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
The NexNeedle ought to have been the 2nd or 3rd best performer of the group, probably even beating out the E2e Turbo...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, the NexNeedle is not a bad light, but I didn't have one handy to include -- otherwise I probably would have.