Thinnest P60 compatible light needed?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Fenix headband and it will fit my E series Surefires.

I want to get a DX or KD light that is 1 18650 and P60 compatible that will fit the Headband. It says up to 22mm.

So far I have tried my E1b with EtoC collar and 6P head and it works, but it isn't 18650:mecry:

I just want more runtime and the 18650 will deliver that. Furthermore I like the P60.

EDIT: I am willing to use a body that only accepts the cr123 thickness. A 17500 perhaps.

Thank you,
bigchelis

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, "thinnest" and "18650" don't go well together.
The Nite-Eyez(sp?) headband might be an option for you if the Fenix won't take regular bodies. One of my friends used to cram a Streamlight 4AA/7 LED into his when we were camping.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hey man...

I think you're in for a long search... but Kudos to you for trying!!

The 6P set the standard for P60-host design with its 1" body tube diameter. Weapon mount designers and other 2CR123 flashlight makers just copied that over. AFAIK it has become almost a standard dimension for any P60 host.

Most 18650 flashlights are bored to about 18.5-19 mm diameter to compensate for cell variation and added thickness from the protection circuit. Your Fenix mount requires 22mm diameter max.

What you are looking for is this...
22-19 = 3.0mm => 3.0/2 = 1.5mm wall thickness

Thats a very thin walled tube. When you factor in thread cutting and O-ring grooves you are looking at a ~.5mm thick wall at its thinnest point.

FWIW, the Superfire 501B I showed you yesterday has a .52mm wall thickness at its thinnest point around the O-ring groove. To put that into perspective, .50mm is the thickness of ~5 sheets of office computer paper.

The smallest diameter 18650 light I am aware of is the Lumapower Encore. Shiningbeam also is working on a second generation L-Mini. But neither of those are P60 hosts. I am not sure if either of these are under 22mm though.

Give this thread a few days, if you don't get any traction here ask a MOD to move it to the headlamp forum. Just refrain from cross-posting, mods have been cracking down on that, banning those who don't comply.

Good Luck!!
:eek:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, "thinnest" and "18650" don't go well together.
The Nite-Eyez(sp?) headband might be an option for you if the Fenix won't take regular bodies. One of my friends used to cram a Streamlight 4AA/7 LED into his when we were camping.

I just saw these at Frys for $1.99 !!! I'm going back to pick up a few.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am willing to give up the P60 compatible part of my project, but I must retain the 18650 and the Q5 or R2.
I was also thinking something like this would or might be 22mm.

DX # 13095: I would be happy if they actually made 150 lumens out the front. Ideally I would want a Fenix, but they are pricey and camping with them I probably will be scuffing them up.

http://www1.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_13095_1_small.jpg
flashlight.jpg

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am willing to give up the P60 compatible part of my project, but I must retain the 18650 and the Q5 or R2.
I was also thinking something like this would or might be 22mm.

DX # 13095: I would be happy if they actually made 150 lumens out the front.

I can say with some certainty that that light does more than 150 out the front. It's a Q5 running at 1050mA behind a glass lens. Weighs 115g carrying a Trustfire 18650. 24mm in diameter.

Only gripe: no lens o-ring, but you can file a mm off of the reflector and put a 20mm dia o-ring between the head and lens.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I was thinking about getting some of those for use as mod hosts... Khatod has a 6 and 25 degree KEPL1127 optic, and a 70 degree one KEPL120908.

If it can be pulled off, it might meet your physical + optical requirements.

*edit*
Actually I am waiting for Bryans L-mini II release.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about getting some of those for use as mod hosts... Khatod has a 6 and 25 degree KEPL1127 optic, and a 70 degree one KEPL120908.

If it can be pulled off, it might meet your physical + optical requirements.

*edit*
Actually I am waiting for Bryans L-mini II release.

The KEPLs and similar won't fit in the TR-801. They're a few mm too long. They may fit without holders, but you'd have to remove the lens and leave the PMMA exposed, which is sub-optimal.

The 15687 is much better for adding an optic (and forward clicky).

See my review, note about switch replacement, and note about LED spacer height on the DX product page.

THe TR-801 is a few mm shorter than the 15867 but they weigh same, down to the gram.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not 18650 based, but if you want to keep the P60-type compatibility and still be thin form factor, this may present itself as an option. 21mm diameter knurling area.

Thanks for the heads up on those. That is a cool idea for a lego. I think the Trustfire 18650 with a Q5 (not P60) is probably the way I will go. I have a whole bunch of 18650's and need an excuse to use them.

Thank you all,
bigchelis