Arc AAA light enough to mail in an envelope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Just wanted to know if I could drop my AAA in an envelope and throw it in a mailbox instead of tryin to find a really small box and paying a dollar or two to ship it.

dtsoll

Enlightened
I think a regular envelope wouldn't be any good but a padded small envelope would be perfect. dtsoll
After I think about this a little, it just may work if you padded the light a little so it wouldn't flop around, however I wouldn't subject my little gems to a ride in a plain envelope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif dtsoll

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
your local post office should have some padded envelopes and postage should be very cheap since the arc AAA weighs next to nothing without a battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
I wouldn't recommend a regular envelope. It may rip through the paper esp. if it goes through a sorting machine. And then your Arc would be orphaned until it found its way onto a postman's keychain. Good for him, bad for you.

I received AAA (in its package w/ batt & clip.) in a 9" X 7" bubble mailer. Postage was 83 cents, USPS first class from CA to RI. Without the extra stuff, it's less. (See below) And the envelope was probably < 50 cents.

I weighed these at home and got the postage rate from the calculator at USPS.gov

Weight of Light,ring, clip, package, battery, and mailer
=2.1 oz.= $0.83

Weight of Light, ring, and mailer only
=1.1 oz.= $0.60

obeck

Newly Enlightened
My LS1 came from directly from ARC in one of those fedex mailers, so I imagine that a bubble envelope would be just fine for an AAA

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
When putting something in a regular envelope it's important that it either be perfectly flat or in a bigger padded envelope. Otherwise it will get sucked out in the sorting machinery. I was loading an Audrey disk image onto a CF card for a fellow and he mailed me the card in a regular envelope. They are pretty thin, but in going through the rollers at some post office sorting machine it was literally squeezed out and through the side of the envelope and lost forever.

so use a padded envelope and don't mail the battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I mail floppy discs in envelopes all the time, no problems that I can remember. Wrap them in folded paper or use scotch tape to keep them from shifting around in the envelope.

For an Arc AAA, I'd recommend a padded mailer, but if you really want to use an envelope, tape the AAA to a piece of cardboard (side of a cereal box or something) and fold the cardboard to fit in the envelope.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
U.S. Postal Service regulations have a maximum width allotment for standard and legal sized envelopes... with an Arc AAA in it, it exceeds the allowable width for what's considered regular mail (i.e. - mail that can be thrown into a USPS mailbox for regular pickup and delivery, in reference to the original question).

Best to follow the recommendations of those who already posted and send it in an "irregular" sized envelope for First Class shipping - it shouldn't cost any more than .80 cents (without the battery), depending on the size of the mailing container.

-Jim

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Thanks everyone, guess my cheap *** will have to fork out the extra pennies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mailed mine back in a small bubble envelope (6 x 9). Postage was 60¢ and I insured it ($1.30) for a total of $1.90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts