Fenix TK11R2 & AK-47

fadetoblack73

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to get a strong weapons light system for my AK-47. I have searched the forums but have not found a conclusive answer to my question.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether the TK11R2 will hold up to the repeated recoil of the AK-47?

I've read about a few instances where the TK11/TK10 was used with M4/AR-15 rifles. But the recoil is much heavier with the AK-47 than with the .223 caliber rifles.

I've also looked at the Streamlight TLR-1. But performance rating is much higher with the TK11R2. Plus the TLR-1 is diminutive in size compared to the AK-47. I think it might look silly. And ... yes, looks are somewhat of a factor. Nobody wants to own a silly looking assault rifle.

I asked about this at my local gun store. They said this forum was the place to find my answer.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one way to know is testing it, but I guess the Fenix will hold up pretty good since it has glued components like the T1.

BTW for what you use the ak47 for? Thats a terrorist weapon :whistle:

fadetoblack73

Newly Enlightened
The one way to know is testing it, but I guess the Fenix will hold up pretty good since it has glued components like the T1.

I like to think of the AK as a anti-terrorist weapon! Just because the Russians hated America doesn't mean they couldn't design the best battle rifle ever made. A lot of our soldiers currently in the "sandbox" are using their issued M4 as a back-up after they acquire a good AK.

As far as what I am going to use it for should be obvious! I'm preparing for the imminent Zombie Apocalypse! :drool::laughing:

fadetoblack73

Newly Enlightened
Have you thought about surefire? They even make an AK mount that fits on the gas tube(tube above barrel).

I know Surefire is probably the best. But, I just can't comprehend spending 2 or 3 times the price of something like a Fenix; if the Fenix will stand up to the punishment (which is the point of this thread).

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
You definitely need a tough light for mounting on an AK47. Yes, go for a SureFire but not just any model because they are not all built to stand the same abuse. You want to either get a C series, or an M series SureFire if they aren't too big for you're preference.

fadetoblack73

Newly Enlightened
You definitely need a tough light for mounting on an AK47. Yes, go for a SureFire but not just any model because they are not all built to stand the same abuse. You want to either get a C series, or an M series SureFire if they aren't too big for you're preference.

Even though the cost is hard to swallow, I relented and looked at the Surefire website again.

As far as I could tell, all of the M-series use incandescent bulbs. The only C-series LED light was a C2 LED Centurion. But $154 for a 80 lumen, single-mode light is incredibly high to me. The Fenix TK11 is less than half of that cost for a multi-mode, 240 lumen light.

If you are telling me that the Fenix will not stand up to the AK's recoil abuse, then I understand the extra cost for the less capable Surefire.

But, so far, no one has actually said that the Fenix light will not work just as good. In fact, it seems just the opposite. Some of the above posts lead me to believe the TK11 is capable of withstanding the abuse.

I was hoping for someone who had used one in a similar fashion to verify the outcome; one way or the other.

Thank you for all of your help. Please continue to post your opinions and experiences.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast

The AK47 is more popular than other assault rifles. Just because a criminal uses lynx deoderant, does that make all people who use that deoderant a criminal... Generalizations like that can start all kinds of problems in a forum if people take offence.

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
I like to think of the AK as a anti-terrorist weapon! Just because the Russians hated America doesn't mean they couldn't design the best battle rifle ever made. A lot of our soldiers currently in the "sandbox" are using their issued M4 as a back-up after they acquire a good AK.

As far as what I am going to use it for should be obvious! I'm preparing for the imminent Zombie Apocalypse! :drool::laughing:

Well they didn`t really "design" it ... they just stole the german MP 44 design and copied it with very little difference. :D

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
the only way to know is to try....hmmmm i bet TK11 R2 will survive on an AK-47.....

i just don't have proof...just a hunch..

happy lights!

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened

Nice 7th post. You`re right actually they kidnapped the designer of the MP44 togehter with his design and then developed "their" AK47 all on "their" own LOL. I won`t argue cause i guess it belongs in a gun forum/thread not flashlights :rolleyes:

Over and out!

On topic : I think the fenix could take it.

Last edited:

snidera

Newly Enlightened
I haven't put my TK10 on the AK (or AR) yet, but I don't doubt it would handle it just fine How much are you going to shoot it with it on there anyway? Strong enough or not, I'd probably take it off when shooting for target practice, which is most of what I do. If you're thinking home defense, I doubt you're shooting in the house for practice anyway. Maybe a few rounds with the light on for practice to get the feel, but your not putting thousands of rounds of shock to the light. I very rarely do tactical entries with my toys, never actually.

I did grab the AR & TK10 last night to chase the skunk that sprayed near my house & stunk the whole place up :eek: (no rail on that AR to mount a light).

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to look at the Olight M20 as well. The M20 uses springs at both ends of the battery tube for shock suppression and was designed, from the beginning, to be mounted on weapons like AR's - the M20 was unscathed after testing with 500 rounds on an AR so I imagine the AK won't present a problem.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the kalashnikov powered forum ;)

I would imagine that a TK11R2 would survive. I would be VERY dissapointed if it did not. I imagine we are talking about sudden movement and maybe some dull thudding to the light? If the light can survive being tortured by being dropped scraped and smashed on the floor, im sure it can survive sudden movement and dull banging.

deusexaethera

Banned
Pretty much all Fenix lights, from what I've seen, have epoxy-filled heads. You wouldn't necessarily need to go with one of their tactical models, though they do have the benefit of being able to fit them with a remote switch.

DirtyBird

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest going with surefire, but cobbling something together yourself.

You can pick up a C-sized Surefire body on this forum for not very much scratch. Then get one of the aftermarket dropins and you'll wind up with a lot more than 80 lumens, for less than the cost of a new Surefire C2.

They're spendy, but I can't say enough good things about the Malkoff Devices dropins for the C series Surefires. Gene Malkoff has said his dropins can and will perform in weapon-mounted lights.

The trickier bit for for you will be the mount for your AK. They make plenty of picatinny forearms for AKs these days, but if all you're mounting is a light, that's a whole lot of needless tarting up. I don't know about you, but I think AKs should look like AKs and ARs should look like ARs. Keep those railed forearms off your AK! And promise me you won't put a vertical foregrip on the thing either. Just a flashlight mount, and maybe a Larue irondot.

Somebody, I think GG&G, makes a low-profile little scrap of picatinny rail, just big enough for a standard flashlight ring. You could mill in a flat space on the side of your existing forearm, and attach the rail section there. Then just use the flashlight ring mount of your choice. Go Viking Tactics if you want good value, or try Larue Tactical if you're looking to pimp your ride.

Unless you step up to an M series head on the Surefire though, stay away from the incan bulbs. Without the shock isolation, you'll blow out your incan bulb pretty quickly.

I'd also suggest cruising over to ar15.com or their sister site ak47.net. Check the technical forums there, and you'll be amazed at the wealth of knowledge (as well as lunacy). I lurk here at CPF for flashlight wisdom, but I go to ar15.com for firearm wisdom.

Bottom line: buy your Surefire bits used, and spend your money on a Malkoff dropin. You'll be glad you did. Either way good luck, and I'll see you on the other side.