Surefire E1L and the E2L .....

calgunner

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I have both a Surefire E1L and E2L. When compared side by side on the lowest light setting I noticed that the E2L is dimmer and has a blue tint to it's beam vs. the E1L which has a much whiter tint light and a more defined beam. Has anyone else done a side by side comparison of these two and noticed the same thing? Please let me know and thanks from a newbie. :grin2:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Hello. I have both a Surefire E1L and E2L. When compared side by side on the lowest light setting I noticed that the E2L is dimmer and has a blue tint to it's beam vs. the E1L which has a much whiter tint light and a more defined beam. Has anyone else done a side by side comparison of these two and noticed the same thing? Please let me know and thanks from a newbie. :grin2:

:welcome:

I would think that any differences in tint and brightness are simply due to the LED lottery. :shrug:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would think that any differences in tint and brightness are simply due to the LED lottery. :shrug:

100% its the lottery - My two E2L were different from each other, my E1L was different from both of them. My two E2DLs were different as well. All about the lottery...

Also, another thing to consider, are they both from the same generation? Over the years they have switched up the emitters.

calgunner

Newly Enlightened

100% its the lottery - My two E2L were different from each other, my E1L was different from both of them. My two E2DLs were different as well. All about the lottery...

Also, another thing to consider, are they both from the same generation? Over the years they have switched up the emitters.

Thanks for the 411. Lottery? That's a new one to me. :grin2: Is there any way of getting a different LED assembly with a whiter light? Also you mentioned different generations. My E1L has the KX1 head and the E2L has the KX2 head. Other than that is there another way to tell? Thanks again.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the 411. Lottery? That's a new one to me. :grin2: Is there any way of getting a different LED assembly with a whiter light? Also you mentioned different generations. My E1L has the KX1 head and the E2L has the KX2 head. Other than that is there another way to tell? Thanks again.

AFAIK, there is no way to tell how the tint is going to be - even between generations - hence, "lottery" :whistle:

All my Surefires were the same generation as each other and still had crazy differences in the tint.

All in all, the variation makes NO real world difference and you would be hard-pressed to notice a difference outside. White walls are evil :devil:

Some have used Surefire's generous warranty and returned heads with bad tints - I think that is a bit overboard but different strokes for different folks. I say enjoy 'em and stay away from the walls!