Strategies In Light

kramer5150

Flashaholic
mods, I am not sure where to post this, so please relocate it as you see fit:grin2:

I spent some time this evening at the Strategies In Light convention tonight…

http://sil09.events.pennnet.com/fl//index.cfm

MAN what an eye opener. Saw some really nice displays from Seoul, Fraen, Lumileds… and far too many others for me to remember. Cree wasn't there, which is too bad.

A lot of booths set up with integration spheres and were dedicated to the science of light measurement…. That was mind blowing!! Seoul and Lumileds had a really nice booth set up to show various color tint differences. Everything from warm light-amber to pale white.

Bluestone Lighting was there showing off some REALLY bad A$$ looking tactical lights, centered around the Luxeon rebel-90 emitter. Their dimmest was a 3xC light with massive long run time (near triple digit hours IIRC), and just a little dimmer than my SF-M2-DX11836 setup. Their brightest was a 7-emitter, refracting optic, 1000 Lumen beast, about the size of a 5D mag. They also had a really nice 3xCR123 light hosting 3x emitters. All their lights were type-III anodize and loaded with O-rings.

The Fraen guys were really cool (of course they are CPF'ers too)… showing me a new, adjustable refracting optic. They couldn't tell me when it will be released to flashlight manufacturers… but it was really nice of them to demo it for me. They had the optic mounted in an inexpensive 2xCR123 sized host, with a prototype bezel housing the new optic system. It had a very wide flood at its most diffuse setting with no hot spot. When focused for throw, the hot spot intensified to come very close to that of my modded M2, yet without loosing a good portion of the side flood. The beam pattern reminded me a lot of the malkoff M60 bigchellis recently loaned me. Very nice indeed!!! I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of these babies and mod something with it.

one of the Fraen gents told me that Cree-Rings come from reflections off the metal hoop around the perimeter of the emitter dome. You can attenuate them by coloring the hoop with a black permanent marker. I'll have to try this some time.

Anyhow… a shout out to the Bay area CPF community, make the trek on over tomorrow morning to the Santa Clara convention center if you can. Registration is Free!! Its an LED convention primarily, and not dedicated to flashlights. Still though, there is a lot to learn. Laird Technologies gave me a really nice diagnostic board for bench testing LEDs !! YEAH!! No more alligator clips.

:wave:

Last edited:

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Sounds like lots of fun. Any newer LEDs to come out soon that push efficiency and lumens to newer level?