AA for Pistol??

DreamCrusher

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a good rail mounted pistol light powered by a single AA?

Something with the stats of a Fenix LD10 but in a railed package is what I'm looking for.

By the way...great forum here. Lots of good info in the months I've been lurking!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know several that use 1 CR2 or 1 CR123.

I don't think any exist that use 1 AA nor do I know of any reputable brands that use 2 AA. I think you are out of luck there.

Your next problem is going to be finding a holster that fits that gun and that light.

Just post what type of gun and what model and decide if you really really need a AA powered one, because I'm 99.99% sure you're out of luck there.

You can buy two CR123 batteries at Lowe's for 5 bucks. An hour or so runtime on each. It would take a while to go through a set unless you just like turning it on a lot.

I'm currently pissed I can't fit an X300 on a Glock 21 into a Serpa holster.

DreamCrusher

Newly Enlightened
It's for a HK P2000. The holster isn't a concern since I can't carry a light on the rail for duty use. This would just see "nightstand" duty at home.

I found one that works on 3xAAA so that might be my only option. I'll just have to get some AAA Eneloops.

The reasoning behind wanting the AA or AAA form factor is just out of convenience since I already have plenty of AA Eneloops and a charger.

I'll give this one a shot.

http://safariland.com/rls/index.aspx

corrections operator

Newly Enlightened
Let us know how it works out for you...

Normally I'm up to speed on these type of lights, but I completely missed this one. My initial thought is it is not very bright. But when you consider your needs and requirements, it may work very well for you.

:welcome:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've seen that AAA light before and wondered if Coast had any involvement in that light. I sure as some Coast like features, including the 3 x AAA format.

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
Before dedicated weapon lights were popular there were several items that could attach a flashlight to a gun. I remember magazine base plate mounts that would hold a 2AA Maglite. Also mounts that would go under the dust cover, but I was never big on gun mounted lights, I might be willing to try one now however.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never even knew Safariland made lights.. or sold them.

I use a Serpa from Blackhawk.

If it fits you're needs go ahead by all means. I could see where that light could benefit, but I'm a fan of the X300.

meuge

Enlightened
The question is WHY do you want an AA battery in a truly tactical light?

This is something that NEEDS to work any time you pull it, regardless of any conditions... and where light lithium batteries will help with the weapon balance.

If you can afford a firearm and a light, I doubt it'd kill you to spend a few CR123s training with your light.

AAs are nice in general-purpose lights, but the Fenix TK10 that I have on my nightstand has CR123s in it... the Surefire brand... not even rechargeables make the cut for this duty.

DreamCrusher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses folks!

The reason for sticking to AA format is really just for conformity's sake. The cost isn't really an issue. It's just that all my other lights are stuffed with AA Eneloops and I've just been apprehensive (Read:Lazy) to take the CR123 plunge.

Still not sure what way I'll go, much to ponder...

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the responses folks!

The reason for sticking to AA format is really just for conformity's sake. The cost isn't really an issue. It's just that all my other lights are stuffed with AA Eneloops and I've just been apprehensive (Read:Lazy) to take the CR123 plunge.

Still not sure what way I'll go, much to ponder...

Well if you're at the stage of pondering I'm going to pressure you.

Plunge into cr123s.. Buy a Surefire X300.. I know of a few great holsters for that setup that are truly concealed type holsters. I forgot your LEO so I'm sure you're already good there :)

cr123 is going to be almost universal AND not that expensive. If you wont use it as much as you say.. then you should be fine.

IMO, that Safariland light wouldn't hold up to my expectations. That's only because I've never heard anything about it.

Good luck and nice pistol. I'm contemplating an HK or XD to go along with my Glock 31.. Whenever the give it to me.. :devil:

MWClint

Enlightened
I'm using a set of cheap 1" scope rings+mounts and spacer around a Peak AA pacific for custom rail mounting on a bike.

with that concept you could probably adapt any AA light that
could be modded to handle recoil and has a forward switch/momentary.

it would be nice finding smaller diameter rings that fit the lights better...
but this is how it turned out for me. weight of these arent an issue on a bike..but i
would imagine you'd want the smallest you could find for pistol
mount.

bike7.jpg

Last edited:

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
Instead of buying a SF X300, buy a streamlight TLR-2.

Why just have a light when you can have an Laser/light combo?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of buying a SF X300, buy a streamlight TLR-2.

Why just have a light when you can have an Laser/light combo?

I trust the X300 from experience. Or others experience that I personally know.

Even if I was indifferent. The problem is neither light would fit in a Serpa holster. The dimensions ONLY accept the Blackhawk light :(

Try the Balck Hawk Omega Drop leg. i use that for my S&W .40 with an Insight M4

Later on, after I'm hired and considering I ever make it on SWAT.

Time being it would just be a duty holser :)