Witch Surefires does the Malkoff M60 Fit?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
"M60 Mod to fit Surefire

This is the Malkoff Devices P60 style dropin with solid brass heatsink construction. This design utilizes a Cree 8 degree optic. The optic has a very nice balance between throw and spill. It is an outstanding room lighter and short to medium spotter. It was designed specifically for use in SureFire 6P, 6Z, C2, M2 and G2 flashlights. " In addition it fits the 9p/9z/C3/G3. The M3-M6 use a different, tower style lamp assembly.

likeguymontag

Enlightened
I think I remember seeing someone say that Malkoffs got too hot in the G2 with the nitrolon head, but were fine in the G2L with the nitrolon body and Alu head. It fits though. It's designed to fit any light that a P60 or P60L etc. will fit.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Gene: the M60L and M60LL will be fine in a Nitrolon head. The M60 will not.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I won't be able to ust those two together?

If you have a nitrolon G2 and want the M60 you can do one of two things:

wrap the M60 with aluminum foil many times over

or

Get a Solarforce aluminum bezel. I got mine from Lighthound because they get to my house within 3 days.

Eighter one will fix the heat problem.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I won't be able to ust those two together?

What do you mean?

All the Malkoffs WILL PHYSICALLY FIT in your G2.

However, if you want to use an M60, you need to pick up an Aluminum head to go on your Nitrolon body.

But the M60L or M60LL model will be fine in your current G2.

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I'm not sure if I want to get this complicated... I think I'd rather just go with one that fits. So I'm changing the question...

Anyone know where to get a 6P host? :D (The Malkoff does fit in those, right?)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ok, I'm not sure if I want to get this complicated... I think I'd rather just go with one that fits. So I'm changing the question...

It's really simple. The M60 will fit ANY P60 style dropin capable light. However, the G2 with nitrolon head is a poor choice because of heat buildup with the non-metal head. Heat buildup is a BAD thing for LED's.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I suggest you reread the prior posts. A Malkoff WILL fit in your G2.

However, the first thing to do is decide WHICH MODEL Malkoff you want - there are many different types:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2...h=1_14&zenid=juivatjcaguspvsve6rq5sehfb22gd0u

Some will work better than others in your G2 - but they will all fit.

Im sensing a language barrier :whistle:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh I get youre question. You meant which Surefire will the M60 physically fit.:D:D:D

It will fit all G2/G3, 6P/9P, C2/C3, ect....Any Surefire that came stock with a P60 type drop-in will physically accept the M60.

My G2 (yellow) fits the M60 perfect, but in my 6P there is a gap. Others here have shaved off the circumference of the M60 for a flush fit.

If you already have a G2 just wrap the LED drop-in in alum foil and youre good to go. The issue is plastic doesn't comply with the heat produced by the LED. The aluminum bezel of the 6P helps with that; which is why others here recommended a 6P bezel.

For the brightest possible outcome in the Market Place someone is selling 6P bodies that can accept the 18650, then drop and M30 instead of the M60. You will get more runtime and more lumens:whistle: With the same 6P frame.

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
Oh I get youre question. You meant which Surefire will the M60 physically fit.:D:D:D

It will fit all G2/G3, 6P/9P, C2/C3, ect....Any Surefire that came stock with a P60 type drop-in will physically accept the M60.

My G2 (yellow) fits the M60 perfect, but in my 6P there is a gap. Others here have shaved off the circumference of the M60 for a flush fit.

If you already have a G2 just wrap the LED drop-in in alum foil and youre good to go. The issue is plastic doesn't comply with the heat produced by the LED. The aluminum bezel of the 6P helps with that; which is why others here recommended a 6P bezel.

For the brightest possible outcome in the Market Place someone is selling 6P bodies that can accept the 18650, then drop and M30 instead of the M60. You will get more runtime and more lumens:whistle: With the same 6P frame.

Thanks, I get it now. :D I was wondering which model it would fit snugly (no aluminum foil or anything) into. It will fit in the 6P head, but with a little room. It will also fit in the G2 head, but there won't be enough heat transfer. So the 6P will work, I'll just have to wrap it in aluminum foil so it fits tighter and makes good contact with the bezel. Am I right?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, if you put it into a 6P it will work perfectly, right then and there.

There may be a small air gap between the bezel and the body. This is normal and an unavoidable consequence of manufacturing variations in the different 2x123A SureFire lights over their long production history. It does not compromise the operation of the light at all.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I get it now. :D I was wondering which model it would fit snugly (no aluminum foil or anything) into. It will fit in the 6P head, but with a little room. It will also fit in the G2 head, but there won't be enough heat transfer. So the 6P will work, I'll just have to wrap it in aluminum foil so it fits tighter and makes good contact with the bezel. Am I right?

It fits any surefire that uses a P60 or P90 lamp. Forget the foil thing, that's only for aluminum bodied lights, it won't do any good in a plastic body since there's no metal for the foil to help conduct heat or electricity to. The G2/G3 can use the full power M60, but only for 15 minutes at a time due to heat buildup. Aluminum bodied lights can use any module save perhaps the MCE for as long as you want. The M60L and M60LL can be used in a G2/G3 until you get tired of putting new batteries in, they don't generate enough heat to be an issue.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene Malkoff has also confirmed that the M60 and M60F will run fine in a nitrolon body if it has an aluminum bezel. The aluminum bezel provides adequate heatsinking for the M60 drop-in.

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I'll go ahead and get the 6P host and m60. Thanks everyone for all your help. :) And just to clarify, the m60 runs on 6 volts and has a built in driver, so I can run it as soon as I pop it in the host?

ecallahan

Enlightened
Ok, I'll go ahead and get the 6P host and m60. Thanks everyone for all your help. :) And just to clarify, the m60 runs on 6 volts and has a built in driver, so I can run it as soon as I pop it in the host?

It actually runs on 3.8 up to 9 volts. You will be safe using two 123 primary batteries. Many CPF'ers use two rechargeable 123's (rcr123) which have a nominal voltage of 3.7 per cell, compared to 3.0 for the primaries.

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
It actually runs on 3.8 up to 9 volts. You will be safe using two 123 primary batteries. Many CPF'ers use two rechargeable 123's (rcr123) which have a nominal voltage of 3.7 per cell, compared to 3.0 for the primaries.

Ok, I wasn't sure which they meant when it said "uses 2xCR123A"; I just assumed 3.0V because they're more common.

And I'm still trying to find somewhere I can buy the 6P host right now...

Latest posts