• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Maglite 2D kit wanted for P7 Bin c

brisco

Newly Enlightened
Hello I would like to make a 2D cell maglite with the P7 Bin C 900 lumen Led. I was looking for a drop in kit. I dont know if I need a driver because I am only running 3 volts from the 2 d cells.

I am new at this. I want the led, heatsink, Does it need a new reflector? and driver if needed. I can solder and put it all together. If I need a driver I would rather it all together already and I can run the wires to wherever they go.

Please let me know whats available. Thanks.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go, the Malkoff P7 dropin for C-Maglites. But you have to use Li-Ions.

rayman

donn_

Flashaholic
Brisco has a 2D Mag, so he should look at the D size P7 drop-in, which is in stock.

Instead of Li-Ions, you could use 6x AA NiMH cells in a holder.

brisco

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. The price is too high for me. I am not looking for something that is done already. Just looking for a home made kit. I saw one that someone just hooked the led through the modified mag switch directly to regular d batteries. Will that work or will I run the risk of killing the led?

brisco

Newly Enlightened
Are there any links on here to people that hade done c or d maglite mods and kept the c or d battery for operation?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't find 3rd_shift's tutorial here or whether he posted one for a DIY P7 Mag here or not, but was able to find it over at Flashlight Forums:

http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=6466.0

He gutted the ceramic plate from a Cree XR-E to serve as a heat transfer component as well as electric isolation (because the back of the P7 is electrically positive)...and you can skip that if you use one of the new anodized P7 heatsinks available at various shops. As for the reflector, a stock Mag smooth reflector will yield the most throw and overalll output but will have a donut hole in the beam when at optimum focus. Many people end up getting some clear Krylon paint and sputtering the reflector to smooth out the beam.

Last edited: