35W HID Maglite Mod - Finished! - Beam Shots

jusval

Enlightened
So I decided to do a HID flashlight. Well, it's sort of a flashlight, but highly modified.

I'm still waiting for all the parts, but I'm getting antsy, so I'm starting the thread early. I am waiting on the HID kit, but I'm going to work on the flashlight head here and add to this as it comes together.

Here's a list of the major components:
An automotive 35W HID kit, it's a full kit with 2 ballasts and 2 4300K H1 bulbs.
A Maglite 2D, that's the host for the bulb.
A 15A switch
A Power Sonic 12V 9A SLA Battery, (with a Power Sonic charger).
A Canvas Fanny pack
Wiring & fuseing.
Several photographic adapters and a 95mm Lens Hood with a 95mm Glass Filter.
A 95mm dia x ??mm deep Reflector, polished Aluminum.

Ok, what the heck is the idea here? Well, I wanted a 35W HID that I could carry easier than those big Spotlights, but I didn't want to spend $200-300 bucks on a handheld light and I wanted something to do with my time. So..... I am making a highly modified Maglite that holds the bulb and the igniter, with a fanny pack that holds the SLA battery and the Ballast.

Ya, I'm crazy (certifiable), but y'all should know that by now..... The guy using hand saws, files and sandpaper..........:whistle:

So, here's the idea as I see it right now. The 12V battery will Just fit into the large pocket of the fanny pack. It weighs just under 6# and is approx 7" long, 2" wide and 3" tall. The ballast will be on the outside of the pack and it will go up against an insulated metal plate, from the inside.

The igniter is external from the ballast, so it will go inside the body of the Maglite. The bulb will fit in a holder that I make. It will be rigid in place, but the reflector and head will still rotate just as a Mag normally would, to make the reflector adjustable to the bulb. Hopefully that will allow for focusing of the beam.

The 15A switch will fit inside the normal Mag switch housing.

The head ends up being 95mm wide and about 125mm deep. It will house the reflector, which is an Aluminum polished reflector normally used for CFL bulbs.

The Wiring from the ballast to the ignitor will be lengthened, so that the Maglite can be easily carried like a normal flashlight, with freedom of movement and there will be a holder on the belt for the light, so it doesn't have to be hand carried all the time.

That's enough for now........... So what I can work on now is the head, to prepare it for the reflector. I have some photos of what I've done with the head and I will add stuff, as the rest of it comes in.

First off I used 3 different photographic adapters to get from 55mm (just about the same thread size as a Mag head) to 95mm (the size of the Lens Hood). I can't simply screw the adapter on, the threads are not the same, but the diameters are close enough to work with. I took the top cover off the head and cut it just past the front area that holds the lens "O" ring. You can see the black mark in the photo, that's where I cut it.

head1.jpg

I smoothed it down and tapered it. Now it will screw back on the head Upside Down.

See the bottom of that cover is just about right to force over the 55mm threads on the photo adapter, so that's why I cut the cover and put it on Upside down, so I can use the other end to attach to the adapter.

This second photo shows what I mean from the black mark on it. That end will be the one fitting on the 55mm adapter.
head2.jpg

Now this photo shows the Mag ring press fit onto the 55mm adapter. It was a "Press Fit" as in a large rubber mallet. It won't go anywhere and it still will thread back onto the Mag head. This photo also shows all three photographic adapters. Now it's ready to have the hood put on and go on to the head.
head3.jpg

Here's the whole thing together. The "O" ring still works as a moisture barrier, just like it did originally. I have used a Black paint finish that I really like a lot. It gives a texture feel and it looks good too.
head5.jpg

Here's the 95mm Filter, that will be the lens for the light.
head6.jpg

and that's all I can do right now, I'm waiting for parts, so I will let it sit for now.
EDIT:

Well I forgot about the darned switch. I can show that stuff too....
I've basically gutted the stock switch, took off the tower and opened up the inside, to fit in a 15A rocker style switch. Here's the photos.

First is the rocker switch before and after......
switch2.jpg

Then, the stock switch gutted and opened up with files and paper.........
switch1.jpg

Then the rocker put into the modded Mag switch housing.......
switch3.jpg

Continued in Post #17.............

Last edited:

07accordEX

Newly Enlightened
Re: HID Project has started

cool, but how are you going to take the switch in and out with the rocker switch sticking out?

jusval

Enlightened

cool, but how are you going to take the switch in and out with the rocker switch sticking out?

Optical illusion. The rocker isn't really sticking out. When it's in the neutral position (level), it's not higher than the housing. I've done these before. It will still use the normal rubber cover, just like a stock switch.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why bother with a different sitch?? The 35w HID draws maybe 5 amps at startup and under 3 at operational temp. The stock switch would be fine.

Mac

jusval

Enlightened

Why bother with a different sitch?? The 35w HID draws maybe 5 amps at startup and under 3 at operational temp. The stock switch would be fine.

Mac

Well, the one I'm getting supposedly uses 7-8A on start up and 5 while running (their specs not mine). I just feel safer using a 15A switch. I've read here several times, the stock one shouldn't be pushed past 5A for long. Plus it's something different and it gives me something to do with my time......

Justin

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the one I'm getting supposedly uses 7-8A on start up and 5 while running (their specs not mine). I just feel safer using a 15A switch. I've read here several times, the stock one shouldn't be pushed past 5A for long. Plus it's something different and it gives me something to do with my time......

Justin

People have run 10 amps through the stock switches :)

35w / 12 = 2.91 amps. It it draws 5 amps and is 35w I have no clue. I have a 50 watt ballast here and it draws 4 amps.

Mac

jusval

Enlightened

People have run 10 amps through the stock switches :)

35w / 12 = 2.91 amps. It it draws 5 amps and is 35w I have no clue. I have a 50 watt ballast here and it draws 4 amps.

Mac

Well their "specs" are probably way off. I wouldn't have a way to check, since I don't own an amp meter, so I just went ahead and changed it.

As I say, I have way too much time on my hands anyhow, so I figured it would be a good thing to play with and see how it came out. It gets me off the computer and I don't have much else to do any more. :eek:

I tried model ships, but all those tiny pieces of wood glued together just stressed me out..........:rolleyes:

jusval

Enlightened

Well it looks like the project may be scrapped. I tried buying a HID "kit" from a USA seller and guess what, he got the money, but I got nothing. It's been 15 days of e-mails and "it's in the mail" and nothing. I just hate it when people don't follow thru and try to rip you off instead.

I should have just bought on ebay from an overseas seller, at least I would have got something for my money. If I don't get a refund (right....) then the project is off. I was using what I sold from one light to pay for another, so if the money is lost, it's over with.

Well, someday I'll learn. Just because it's from the US doesn't mean it's legit. Actually come to think of it, all my problems like that have been from US sellers, not overseas......... What's that say for us?:ohgeez:

steve6690

Enlightened

Old saying..."Don't let the *******s grind you down".

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trailtech sells HID complete lights for less than some kits cost, i dont know how they do it, but it might help someone.
http://trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html
they have halogen too, at first i thought i was going to get something that wasnt actual hid, but it was some of the same stuff that was in kits costing more.

---------------
o love that resessed rocker switch, wouldnt have thought of that in a million years, till now :)

Last edited:

jusval

Enlightened

Well I'm waiting for Friday. That's supposed to be the day the "Last" kit arrives Priority Mail and "upgraded even"........ I'll let everyone know. Upgraded?:confused:

After threatening to call my CC company and turning it over to them, I got a lot better response, right away, priority mail and everything...

jusval

Enlightened

Wooo Hooooo!!! Kit came Today! The Really squeeky wheel gets oiled!

So I have some more photos of what came.

These are the Slim Digital 35w ballasts. Supposedly an upgrade from the regular ones. Bulbs are H1 sockets.
HIDkit1.jpg

HIDballast.jpg

Ouch! that Igniter is a "few thou" too big, to fit into the body of a D Mag. Will? Oh, Will........ I have already sent info to him, to see if it can be bored enough and I can see the edges can be shaved a mm or two...... It will work, that's what mods are for!
HIDigniter.jpg

HIDbulb.jpg

Oh I also got my Reflector..... That was a Big Ouch! From all the photos, it was solid, but when it came, it has "slots" cut into it near the bottom (for heat). Not Good! It's the only one I have come close to finding so far and I've been looking for a while now..... So, more modding..... I took a piece of thin stainless and cut out 6 plugs to fit in the holes. Some filing, sanding, filing, sanding and hey, The holes are filled. The slots are rough cut (stamped out), so it still will have a negative effect on the light. Well (not shown yet) I went ahead and taped off the reflector above that area and used the Clear Paint to Stipple it. (photo later). Now it has a MOP coating over that area and maybe it will help cut down on the defects...... Hey, I will try just about anything once......
reflector.jpg

A sample of the pieces I cut out, below the reflector and I used JB Weld to fill in behind, to keep them from shifting.
reflectormod.jpg

That's it so far. I'm fitting the reflector to the hood and I will also figure out the holder for the bulb(S).... No, I won't use both bulbs, I won't do it, I won't...........:shakehead

4.jpg

Well, the paint did lessen the bad edges. The reflection is softer now, but I don't think it will work well at all. All those slots and breaks in the smoth finish will cause a really messed up beam,I imagine.

Justin

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't thing paint will hold up to the heat of the lamp. Thats why typically only only see LED reflectors sputtered.

What kind of reflector is that??

Mac

jusval

Enlightened

I don't thing paint will hold up to the heat of the lamp. Thats why typically only only see LED reflectors sputtered.

What kind of reflector is that??

Mac

It's an R30 mini aluminum reflector for CFL's. It's plated, but as I said, the "slots" weren't on any on the photos I saw, on any of the sites. I think all of those style have slots, so it's not good for this type of reflector. Yes the paint will probably burn off, but heck the whole thing will probably blow up the first time anyhow........

It's just a project that I really shouldn't have tried to do. It's something that a machinist and an electronics engineer with a big shop and machining skills could do with all custom parts, from the head and body, to the reflector.

I doubt it's going to be anything but a fiasco and a trash can special, but I'm too damn stubborn to let go of it now.

Custom flashlights aren't a poor man's hobby, but then again, what is any more?