Lokking for a Good "First Flashlight"

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, let me start off by saying that I have known about this site for about six months, and I LOVE IT! I am 15, with a small lawn-mowing service for a few of my neighbors in the summer. So I do have a form of income, per se.

I'm also in the Boy Scouts, and, while I have several flashlights, and headlamps, i am looking for a nice quality LED flashlight for general camping, hiking, taking the trash out, etc.

I would like a small form factor light with a relatively easy-to-learn UI (even if it's kind of complicated, I'm willing to learn), that has decent run time, and uses common batteries (AA, AAA, CR123 if rechargeable).

I'm looking for a nice combination of throw/flood (tight hot spot doesn't matter), with multiple modes, or possibly even programmable. (I would like somewhere in the range of ~2,10, 50, 120 lumens, with at least three modes [10,50,120+], with common batteries.)

I look at this site, sometimes multiple times per day, and I am in the process of reading through the reviews, as well as old posts.

Any input is highly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.
Oh, BTW, I have a budget of up to $100-120.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 2 x AA there's the Fenix L2D / LD20, and the Olight T25. For 1 x AA there's the Fenix L1D / L2D, and Nitecore D10. There's plenty more nice ones out there too in your price range. :wave:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy John and welcome to CPF,

Just to make sure you've seen it, be sure and check out the Welcome Mat:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172991

There are many good links to threads you will find interesting.

Personally, I'd recommend that you start with something like a 2xAA LED light along with a small rechargeable battery/charger combo. Maybe something like these:
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=362
and:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0RD6/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Those are simply a couple of suggestions to get you thinking. There are many nice 2xAA lights (including some new ones just coming to market) that you should look at, so take your time and enjoy the hunt.

klas1

Newly Enlightened
If you are really looking for focusable light I would recommend Led Lenser P7/T7. It has excellent focusing mechanism. It doesn't have many modes (low/high (167 lumens) /off) and it's not regulated, but I am impressed mostly by it's ability to go from really wide flood to a narrow beam. It has solid construction and feels high quality. Uses 4x AAA batteries. I saw it on ebay for around $60. Btw, it was my also "first real LED flash light". :)

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a decent pocket sized light.

Then use the rest of the money to build something. It's more fun that way. You learn quite a bit and you get to feel a sense of accomplishment knowing you built that light.

krazy89

Enlightened
Hey OP...

I think for the general use area... i don't think you're gonna find a light better than a Fenix LD10 / L1D-CE ($60ish)

for a lil bit more wow... Nitecore D10... ramping light... quick access to low and max.... ($60ish)

for programmables... Liteflux 3XT is great... there's a compact mode... and an advanced mode... fully programmable.... ($60ish)

cream of the crop would be a Novatac 120E/T/P .... since the cracking of the E/T models... all 3 are kinda the same now... fully progammable... highly recommended... reliable... (E models can be found as low as $85ish)

hope those help...

KraZy

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thank you all for your quick suggestions. I too have seen the Fenix L2D-CE, and the Fenix LD20, but I think if I chose one over the other, it would have to be the LD20, after I read a post on this forum where somebody said they felt the wall thickness of the battery tube (did I get my terminology correct?) was thinner than they felt it should be.
shrug.gif

I have also seen the Nitecore, but only on TAD Gear. And they discontinued selling it. I would like programmable, and have also taken a look at the Novatac EDC 120P, but currently I feel that an investment in a rechargable battery system for CR123 batteries would be too much to ask.
Again, I thank you for your suggestions, and if anyone could point me to a reasonably priced rechargeable battery + charger system (for CR123), I would definitely consider the EDC120P.

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
Hey OP...

it's not that expensive for rechargeables...

check this thread out... these are the IMR's... these are NOT protected... but is good for high current applications...
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=184887

This is for the protected AW Cells.... CPF favorites... and trusted by everyone here... these are protected...
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=187951

so... 1x 16340 RCR is $6... probably wanna get 2...

and a simple charger for it is a Ultrafire WF-139/138... this will charge almost all battery sizes... all the way up to 18650's.... tho... to charge 16340's... u need spacer magnets... (or use a thick bolt like i do...). you can find this charger at KD or DX for like $13 shipped...

hope that helps...

KraZy

1dash1

Enlightened
John_Galt:

I'd suggest that you consider the LD20 or the 100A2. Both of these are 2xAA flashlights.

Just a guess, but I think you'll prefer the 100A2's feel and form, even though the LD20's wider output range might better suit your purposes.

If you want something more "pocketable", I'd suggest picking up a Nitecore D10. Get the Q5 version if you want a brighter light. Get the GD+ version if you want a softer beam.

Again, just a guess, but I think you'll be happier with the brighter Q5, even though the GD+ beam is more eye-friendly during prolonged use.

Note: While the 123-based flashlights (primary and rechargeables) tend to be brighter, I'd suggest you stick with AA's and AAA's. Using these standard types of batteries will greatly simplify your life. After you get out of college and have more time and resources to spend on this hobby, you may want to expand your horizons to fancier flashlights.

1dash1

Enlightened
Perhaps I should elaborate on why I discourage you from using CR123's and RCR123's.

CR123's and RCR123's are not always interchangeable. Just because a flashlight uses CR123's doesn't mean that it will work with RCR123's, and vice versa. Voltages (statically tested) are different, Vf (voltages under load)are different, and cell capacities are different.

How can you tell which flashlight uses which batteries? (a) By following the manufacturer's recommendations. (b) By reading up on information here on CPF and other websites.

CR123's can and do explode. Anecdotal reports of "lithium batteries" exploding in flashlights usually involve primary CR123's that were either damaged, installed backwards, or of mismatched capacities.

RCR123's can and do catch fire. Usually this happens while recharging. Sometimes it's caused by mismatched cells placed in a charger that does not have independent bays (lower voltage cell keeps the charger charging, while the higher voltage cell is overcharged). Sometimes, it's caused by the charger not terminating properly. The WF-139 charger mentioned in a previous message is notorious for "trickle charging" long after the cells have been fully charged.

(I've had my cells come "hot" off the WF-139 with voltage readings as high as 4.35v - where 4.17v is the normal termination voltage. This was a serious overcharge that probably reduced the life of my cell, but fortunately caused no other damage. If I had left the hot cell in the charger, I don't know what would have eventually happened. :poof:)

The solutions to the problems are fairly straightforward.

For CR123's, never mix new cells with old cells. Paired cells should remain paired until one or both are depleted, then properly disposed of. Never use damaged cells. When in doubt, toss them!

For RCR123's, use high quality cells and high quality chargers. Never leave any cells in the charger unsupervised. Pull cells from the charger as soon as they reach full charge. Periodically measure cell voltages to ensure that (a) the cells are still good, (b) cells are properly matched, and (c) the charger is working properly.

For both CR123's and RCR123's, store them in a dry, cool (but not cold) environment. Disposal should be through your hazardous waste or battery recycling plant, never throw them out with your regular trash. And, heaven forbid, never put them in a trash compactor or incinerator.

A few links for your information:
Lithium Cell Fires
WF-139 Overcharging
Exploding Batteries

I'd suggest that between now and the end of your college years, that you will have neither the time, the money, nor the inclination to manage this resource. AA's and AAA's are the way to go. (However, if you insist on going the other route, I'd strongly suggest limiting yourself to CR123 primaries and avoid RCR's.)

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, I would seriously consider sticking with AA NiMh rechargeables to start with. They are simple and relatively safe to use..... AND, AA alkaline batteries are available just about anywhere if you need some in a pinch.

However, I can heartily recommend something like the NovaTac 120P if you find yourself inclined to go that direction. I've carried mine everyday for quite a while....... it's a great little light. Of course there are a few other single RCR123 based lights that you should check out too... so keep reading.

Also, it's important to understand something about rechargeable batteries before investing in them. Lithium-ion rechargeable cells can be dangerous if not handled with care...... so here is some more reading to help get you up to speed:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201375

Also, be sure and visit the "Flashlight electronics, batteries included" forum here at CPF.... a wealth of cutting edge information.

Sopchoppy

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the EagleTac's, the P10C2 is small and powerful, runs on either C123's or RCR123's. Their new P100A2 and P100c2 look like they will be winners. The P10C2 is $59.50 and the P100's are both $42.99 from the EagleTac Store. And you can get 8% off with coupon code CPF8.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
previously mentioned fenix ld20 and nitecore d10/d20 seem to be great value per buck, and if im not wrong i think fenix is still the flashlight that others runtimes are compared to, especially in AA format.

As these have already been mentioned i just want to add one more manufacturer

Jetbeam. check their lineup too. pro 1 means the AA lights. they have 3 modes that you can customize to your liking. (choose output to each mode or blinkers like strobe etc)
(and 2aa model is for sale in bugoutgear i think)

About the light and its intended use, do you think you will carry it everywhere you go (EDC) or just use it sometimes?

if sometimes 2aa format does ok. if you need it just temporarily and in camping or something you can carry that in your belt holster or backpack, or put it into the bookshelf and pick it up only when u actually need it.

but in everyday use, carrying 2aa style light will get little difficult because of the lenght of the 2aa lights mentioned. winter time, with jacket with big pockets its easier, but come summertime, that 6 inch light in your shorts pockets just dont feel comfortable.

i have carried such a light on me rain or shine for years now in my pockets, but also clothes that i wear normally allow that with ease. (loose bdu style thigh pocket pants etc.)

after i found cpf, i came to light.. and after this winter i will lighten my carryload as im getting smaller and brighter lights. pretty much every aa/cr123 light sold these days run longer and outshine my previous edc light by min. double or triple.

one another thing to consider: there are some lights that can be used as both small 1aa and/or 2aa by just changing the body of the light and using the same head in every configuration.

check up the ITP lights (shiningbeam.com) for instance: c7 light (1aa) and c8 (2aa) body would be something like 55$ if i recall correctly. that way you would almost have 2 lights. one when u need more runtime and one to carry everywhere.

they are cheaper than others mentioned, and also not as popular as nitecore and fenix lights are. maybe not even in same league of quality (dunno, dont have one, newbie myself, i am just interested in their concept.)

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
D10 for simple, novatac for useable, surefire for dependable, eagletac for brightness, AA for easy, (R)CR123 for oomph

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for a Good "First Flashlight"

Again, I'd like to start by thanking you all for the number of possibilities, and choices. I would also like to thank 1dash1 for the information on batteries.
At this point in time, I agree that an easier to find battery format would be best for my projected uses, and that a major investment in rechargeable RCR123 would be too much. As much as I like the many flashlights that currently use CR123 batteries would be too expensive to currently purchase.
Seeing the many choices, I have to ask, the nitecore that was sold on TAD Gear, (sorry I forget the name), the lumen level was changed by twisting the head in a combination, letting it adjust to the required light level, and re-twist. Now, for this flashlight, did you have to do that each time a different level was required , or was it multi level, and adjustable for each level? If it's the latter, I think that would be alight I would like. If not, I would probably go to the Fenix LD20, and some eneloops.

Again, thankyou for all of the information, and all of the different suggestions.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums.

You might consider the Photon Proton Pro. Single AA, variable output. I have a number of small lights, and the Pro is more useful than many of the others. It is also smaller than most and runs well on NiMH.

Enjoy!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the excellent reviews you will find in the CPF Flashlight Reviews forum, be sure and check out these sites to help narrow your search.

I like this site because it lets you compare 3 lights side-by-side:
http://www.light-reviews.com/

Another good one:
http://www.cpfreviews.com/

If possible, try not to be in a hurry. Spend of couple of weeks reading all the reviews and threads you can and pretty soon you will begin to see which lights might work best for you. Then look for a dealer with a good reputation here on CPF. That way if you have any problems you know you will be taken care of.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the Fenix L2D-CE Q5, LD20, or Olight T25(don't worry about the battery tube thickness, unless you will be prying with the light, it should be thick enough for all normal uses).

The Nitecore Infinity and Extreme have three modes, max, user set, and strobe. Every time you need a different user set output mode you have reset the output level.

The Jetbeam IBS lights have I think up to 3 user settable modes so might be closer to what you want.

4sevens has the Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, and a few others. 8% off coupon there is "CPF8".

:welcome:

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
Might I recommend the light I just picked up today, the Fenix LD10. Runs on 1 AA battery.

Brad

Newly Enlightened
Hi John,

I'm glad to see you're in the Boy Scouts. I was a scout once myself. IMO a very worthwhile organization. Plus you'll have a great chance to use flashlights a lot while camping.

I too would recommend the Fenix Digital LD20 Black Premium Q5.
9 lumens should be good for inside the tent. 47 lumens for around camp, 94 lumems for the trail and 180 lumens just to show off to everyone. :)

It has a glass lens so it won't get all scratched up and it's waterproof which is very important for heavy outdoor use. Also comes with a sheath and lanyard.

I would also recommend a La Crosse BC900 Battery Charger or the BC700 if you want to spend less.

Also an 8 pack of Sayno Eneloops.

And maybe some good synthetic grease like "super lube" or something similar for the threads to keep them twisting smoothly.

If all this goes over budget you may want to skip the BC900 Battery Charger for now and use one you already have or get the combo pack Sanyo eneloop batteries/charger.

Good luck,

Brad