New LU60 collar discovered. 3in 3P & P60 compatible!!!!!!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello fellow members. I been fascinated with the 3P parts and new I could find a way to make a 3.5in or less 3P P60 compatible. When I got a real 3P it was close to 4in; I didn't want to chop it up to make it shorter.

So here is what I used for parts. I had the G&P cheap weaponlight. It is P60 compatible. The weaponlight has a adaptor that on one side houses the P60, but on the opposite end I attached the A21 universal housing adaptor. The weaponlight cost $30 to $45 dollars on ebay and if you purchase this you can drop-in any P60 or use the part the holds the P60 as a LU60 adaptor.
P2010009-1.jpg

And these were the parts prior to using the weaponlight LU60 collar type part.
P2200040.jpg

At this point the 3P parts were 3.56 inches tall. Notice how much smaller they are compared to the G2 cell housing body. I then grinded the G2 bezel where it meets the body. I actually grinded it quite a bit. The A21 universal body was also grinded to allow the tail cap to fit flush. See the picture on the Left; compare the before and after. At this point I was tired but kept searching for a more compact (short) P60 set-up.
On left picture You have a 3P parts which is 3.54in tall and 3P parts with grinded down G2 bezel which is about 3.25in. I wasn't satisfied yet, read on.
P2200049.jpg
P2200053.jpg

Now I took off the LU60 from Surefire and put the weaponlight version which technically isn't called a LU60, but neighter is the LU60 which is part of a weaponlight:D:poke::oops:

Then the final product. It is the LU60 type I got from the G&P weaponlight; attached to an A21 universal housing body from Surefire and a 6P clickie.
P2210057.jpg

The only reason the 3P parts with the yellow nitrolon bezel got shorter was because I grinded it down a bit untill it fit tight on the Surefire LU60. See the comparison shots of the 3P Parts nitrolon Yellow bezel (which was shorter already than the 3P parts).
In the top left picture the 3P parts with yellow measured about 3.25in and the one next to it was right around 3in. I wish I had my E1E to take pictures of both side by side. Oh yeah If you see the Surefire E1b it has a LU60A collar only. The bezel on the E1b is a Solarforce bezel I cut in half: more on the bezel later.
P2210063.jpg
P2210062.jpg

P2210060.jpg
P2210061.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New LU60 collar discovered. 3in 3P capable!!!

The problem with the G&P weaponlight is that the bezel isn't water tight. I fixed this problem. I got a Solarforce bezel (6P copycat) and cut it in half. Yes I cut the bezel of my 6P in half and I can use it on my E1b with Surefire E to C adaptor found on the LU60A.

When I cut the bezel in half the treads were within range to screw on to the LU60 weaponlight. It also could still screw on the LU60 from Surefire and fits the EtoC collar from the LU60A too.
P2210072.jpg

Now you can see in this picture the LU60 collar from Surefire on top and the weaponlight on the bottom. Also notice the Solarforce bezel I cut in half and the non-water tight from the weaponlight on the bottom.

Now I have a 3in or so, 3P parts that can run as hight as 700 lumens with Malkoff P7 drop-in or for more run time a M30.lovecpf
P2210070.jpg

Is there a P60 compatible light out there Shorter than 3 inches and still functional????

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool lego. But since the width of my hand is greater than 3 inches, achieving a shorter 3P is more of an academic exercise for me. And my hand is not particularly large. At some point, a shorter light is not very useful as a flashlight.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool lego. But since the width of my hand is greater than 3 inches, achieving a shorter 3P is more of an academic exercise for me. And my hand is not particularly large. At some point, a shorter light is not very useful as a flashlight.

Hi Justin Case,
Youre pictures of the Real 3P and the Parts 3P are what got me into this. I too agree shorter is not hand friendly as a real 3P, but if I had to carry one in my pockets I rather have the later.

Also,
The shorter 3P I lego still houses any P60 drop-in; which was my motivation behind this.

To further explain the size difference. The E1b w/ LU60A collar is the size of a real Surefire 3P. Next to the right is the 3P parts with the nitrolon grinded bezel and A21 housing body (also grinded down). Then you can see how much smaller the one I made is compared to the Surefire G2. Normally the 3P was only 1in shorter and I think that and the fact that M30's were not invented made them less appealing. Now, the one I just made literally feels half the size of a 6P/G2.
P2210063.jpg

Last edited:

rtt

Enlightened

Very nice! Thanks for posting.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

The standard 3P size is just about the min length for my hand. Any shorter and the bezel gets blocked by the meat from my hand.

IMO, diam matters too and a 3P is still a bit fat. I prefer an E1-sized body with a KL4-sized head -- a TW4.

I built that parts 3P in the mid 1990s when the 3P didn't exist as a factory product. With the various flavors of high-output TW4s available, I personally don't use my 3Ps (factory or parts) very much, even when equipped with various 6P LED drop-ins.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

More to come..........

I been analyzing the tail cap and I think I can grind the 6P twistie down 1/4in and still retain the O-ring portion of the A21 housing body. I will try this tonight and hopefully I can get it down under 3 inches (2.7-2.8in) and functional.

I just noticed that I could also grind the bezel of the G&P weaponlight about 2mm down too.:whistle:

Has anyone grinded down the 6p twistie? Please advise..

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

So when does the "kit" come out? :poke::laughing:

Jumi

Enlightened
Great discovery bigchelis

Just for fun:p

Total lenght: 6cm
Battery: 1 LR44
Runtime, few minutes:laughing:
P60 module has KD 20 mode driver max voltage 4.2V and Q3- 5A
few fast pics, sorry about quality :whistle:
P3mini1.jpg

And it works:
P3mini3.jpg

Head and bezel is from that G&P weaponlight, switch is G&P strobo switch body shortened and with normal reverse clicky

Juha

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great discovery bigchelis

Just for fun:p

Total lenght: 6cm
Battery: 1 LR44
Runtime, few minutes:laughing:
P60 module has KD 20 mode driver max voltage 4.2V and Q3- 5A
few fast pics, sorry about quality :whistle:
P3mini1.jpg

And it works:
P3mini3.jpg

Head and bezel is from that G&P weaponlight, switch is G&P strobo switch body shortened and with normal reverse clicky

Juha

Now,
I need to go out and get that battery to try it myself. :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

So, You grinded (cut) the switch boot untill the treads meet the LU60 Head/bezel from the weaponlight. Then the tiny battery. I wonder what other battery could fit to give it more runtime. The M30 would run fine from 1 to 5.5 volts it would probably give way more runtime...

Than you.

Last edited:

Jumi

Enlightened
Some measurements tested only few seconds, that tiny cell cant give 190mA for long:D
Low: 10mA
Med: 80mA
High: 190mA
That driver can be set for different drive values since it has variable resistor in there. This particular one is being driven in FM 2C body with 2 nimh, current draw from 2.4V was set to 1.6A.

The switch is G&P strobo switch body cut down around 4-5mm with reverse clicky inside now. I made this for my L60 based P3. I didn't wanna ruin any SF switch :D

Juha