New Ra Lights products (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is intended for the general discussion of the new Ra Lights products announced at the 2009 shot show.

This is a continuation thread from
Part 1
Part 2

Last edited by a moderator:

m16a

Enlightened
By Luxlover
Quicky pre-review photo-op session!
[SIZE=+1]
IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

In case no one saw from the old thread, here is luxlover (Jeff)'s pictures of his new EDC Tactical. The man better get on here and post some info and runtimes!!! :party:
[/SIZE]

streetmaster

Enlightened
Yeah. Like does the button work properly, or is it flaky like one person already reported? And where did that flaw on the bezel come from? ;)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
from Part 2, post 350
170cn runtime to first drop: 43min on old unused Chinese Battery Station cell that read inconsistent 20% to 40% on ZTS tester.

I re-ran this test with a Surefire brand cell, exp 2014, that read 100% on ZTS:
170cn (120lm steady) runtime to first drop.
SF Primary = 73min
:twothumbs

Other runtimes I've listed in previous posts:
Note: my WF139 charger charges to between 4.15v to 4.18v
Runtime on 170Cn (120lm steady) with a well used yr + Old AW black label RCR123.
1st test = 55 Min.
2nd test = 63 min.

Runtime for 100ww (71lm steady) same old AW black label RCR123.
1st test = 48 Min.

Voltage on removal after several drops to about 10lm = 3.24v
:cool:

Last edited:

SnWnMe

Enlightened
I think HDS needs to revisit the awesome build quality of the Twisty and apply it on the Clicky. I can't believe the blemishes and function issues that I see and read about. Inova and Fenix look better OOTB that some of the lights shown here.
Even more unbelievable is how the below expectations quality is considered par for the course and acceptable for the price.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I re-ran this test with a Surefire brand cell, exp 2014, that read 100% on ZTS:
170cn (120lm steady) runtime to first drop.
SF Primary = 73min
:twothumbs

Other runtimes I've listed in previous posts:
Note: my WF139 charger charges to between 3.15v to 3.18v
Runtime on 170Cn (120lm steady) with a well used yr + Old AW black label RCR123.
1st test = 55 Min.
2nd test = 63 min.

Runtime for 100ww (71lm steady) same old AW black label RCR123.
1st test = 48 Min.

Voltage on removal after several drops to about 10lm = 3.24v
:cool:

I've got you updated on the repository. Thank you for your time and effort in collecting these runtimes for your light.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
YAY! I just got my clicky tactical and it's awesome!
I have plenty of speckles on my annodizing, but they don't bother me. The tint is excellent--much whiter than my 120P, it's almost yellow. Output and throw kick the 120P's butt. The protruding switch is very responsive and feels solid. The lowest setting goes even lower than my 120P, which is great. The best part is locator flash--it's dimmer than the Novatac, so in the daytime you hardly even notice it (as it should be). It's also not as short-lived as the Novatac's blink; it smoothly comes on and then off instead of an abrupt flash.
Here's my only gripe--my tailcap isn't pressed onto the battery tube straight. There's a clear gap on one side. It's not a big enough issue that I'd be willing to wait while I sent it back for repair, but I'd like to press it in a vise if I knew it would be safe.

litework

Newly Enlightened
I received my Ra Clicky Executive today. It functions perfectly. This is my first Ra light and was purchased based on the accolades received on this forum. Of course the same thing can be said about the twenty some other brands I've purchased as a result of this site.

It's my first Ra product, and I like it. It's a bit on the large size compared to some of my other quality EDCs, but it will work. I do not, however, like the clip one bit. The clip makes a light that is already on the large size, just too cumbersome. I've put the screws back in the body to protect the threads until I find something better. All in all, I like the light; it was a good investment. I'll see if it "shines" when I use to feed the horses tonight.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
The best part is locator flash--it's dimmer than the Novatac, so in the daytime you hardly even notice it (as it should be). It's also not as short-lived as the Novatac's blink; it smoothly comes on and then off instead of an abrupt flash.
This caught my attention. While I had my Clicky, I never noticed the locator flashing any differently from my NT, but then I never really compared. I wonder if what you're noticing is a very subtle change or if the new models have a slightly reworked flash to make it less jarring. I don't know why I never really thought about it before, but a locator that smoothly ramps between off (or nearly off) and the normal (or slightly less) flash output would be much less irritating in a dark room. It'd be like the Mac breathing light, rather soothing.

Can you post a pic with clip installed?
There's a whole thread pretty much devoted to it. Pics of the factory clip start at post #19: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=217201

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm leaving the circle of 'Ra'. I'm in disbelief as to what had seemed like a nice gesture from Henry was actually a mistake and that after all the trouble of sending in a new light at my expense and waiting a month not too mention a couple LD phone calls I'm now being asked to return a 'test battery' - a rechargeable RCR123 to Ra as they mistakenly included it in the return package (not inside the light). The battery is worth less than what I spent on shipping and LD calls. :wtf:

The warm and fuzzy feeling about this light just went away. Too many missed promises and boondoggles. I used to manage a large retail business with around 25 employees. If a customer brought back a $179 item that had a problem and I had the customer wait a month to fix it would I ask him to come back to the store again after finally getting the fixed item just to return a $6 item I had mistakenly left with the replacement? No - I would not even consider it but then I guess that's just me....

Last edited:

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Shaman, that is definitely not just you. I was just discussing this with another member and I cannot believe it. If I were in Henry's position, it would never even cross my mind to just ask for it back without then making up for that additional trouble, on top of the trouble you've already been through. No way is a $6 battery worth shooting a hole in your reputation over!

I think there are two correct ways of dealing with this:
"Whoops, that was actually a mistake, but I'm glad you're happy, I'll go order a new one now."
-or-
"Actually that was a mistake... I want that particular battery back because it's important for the consistency of my data, but don't worry, I'll send you something better to make up for it all."

Option three, "Actually, your happiness was not on my mind and still isn't," only makes you look like a jerk with no PR skills. So I hope he's just having a little fun and planning on surprising you by making up for it all. Otherwise, I think you'd be right to walk away.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm leaving the circle of 'Ra'. I'm in disbelief as to what had seemed like a nice gesture from Henry was actually a mistake and that after all the trouble of sending in a new light at my expense and waiting a month not too mention a couple LD phone calls I'm now being asked to return a 'test battery' - a rechargeable RCR123 to Ra as they mistakenly included it in the return package (not inside the light). The battery is worth less than what I spent on shipping and LD calls. :wtf:

The warm and fuzzy feeling about this light just went away. Too many missed promises and boondoggles. I used to manage a large retail business with around 25 employees. If a customer brought back a $179 item that had a problem and I had the customer wait a month to fix it would I ask him to come back to the store again after finally getting the fixed item just to return a $6 item I had mistakenly left with the replacement? No - I would not even consider it but then I guess that's just me....

WOW! Listen, if you do send the battery back, let me know. In the spirit of CPF, I will send you one of my new AW RCR123's at no charge.

Ray

sappyg

Enlightened
well the postman did'nt deliver my light today.... no biggy.

i certainly hope there is some kind of misscommuniction re: matrixshamon's long awaited repaired light to return...
if Ra makes an issue about the mistake and wants the battery back i would send it back.... with the light!

Status
Not open for further replies.