Lowe's Kobalt Flashlight VS. Fenix TK11 (Q5)

BIG_PAPA

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I had the thread from the other day talking about the Lowe's Kobalt Flashlight I had just bought and that I was happy with it. I got a lot of responses that I could do better for my money. Fenix was a suggestion of several people to try as a better alternative. So I was at the gun show today and there was a vendor with Fenix flashlights. So I decided to check it out. I went with the model TK11 (Q5). It was fairly similar to the Kobalt in size, shape and number of 123 batteries so I thought it would be a good comparison. I got it for $60 out the door with tax included and also 2 cheap 123 lithium batteries included. I looked online when I got home and this turned out to be a fair price.

So here is a comparison by a relative newb with little high power flashlight experience, the Kobalt has the nice Energizer Lithium's and the Fenix has the cheapies for my compare:

Brightness:
Fenix wins by a lot. Both high and low beams are each brighter than the Kobalt. Beam is also more focused on the Fenix.

On / Off Switch:
Fenix wins by a lot. The switch is much quieter which obviously is better for a tactical situation. Also it is much easier to access and depress. The Kobalt switch is too far in the shroud to press easily and it is a very stiff switch.

High / Low switch:
Fenix wins by a lot. I really like the high / low by twisting the head instead of pressing the switch numerous times like on the Kobalt. Again the Kobalt switch is stiff and loud so the less times I press it the better.

Bezel:
Kobalt wins by a lot. The bezel on the Kobalt has bigger and sharper "teeth" than the Fenix. This would work better IMO for self defense or emergency escape. The Fenix has teeth but they are relatively small and very dull.

Lanyard / Belt Clip:
Tie. Fenix has the lanyard at the end where it should be instead of the Kobalt has it at about 2/3rd of the way down. Belt clip is included on the Kobalt, no clip on the Fenix. For me this is good as i don't like to have a clip, but it should be included for those who want it.

Sheath:
Fenix is much better. Overall the sheath is better designed, more user friendly and more compact. The Kobalt sheath pretty much sucks.

Replacement Parts:
Fenix, O-rings and switch cover provided as extra replacement parts. Kobalt, none.

Warranty:
Kobalt Winner. Lifetime in Lowe's store. Fenix ? Fenix store says lifetime for any light purchased in their online store. I can't find what they do for retail purchases.

My conclusion:

I feel it is definitely worth the $20 extra dollars for the Fenix. The list price though is $78.00 on the Fenix store. I am not sure if I would be so much happier if I had paid $78. For that much I think I would have bought 2 of the Kobalt.

Maybe if the Kobalt comes down to $30 or even $25 on clearance I would pick up one or two. But at $40 it JUST CANNOT COMPARE to the $60 Fenix. I am not sure what you guys are paying for these things, but considering I got it for $20 under retail tax included, I wish I had bought 2.

Fenix is definitely the better way to go from where I sit and the Kobalt is going back to Lowe's tomorrow. Maybe I will re-buy it someday on clearance.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for doing the comparison, BIG PAPA. Nice work. I noticed the Kobalt a while back, and even mentioned it here, but never got much input. Sounds like it will be a decent beater light for you. It's tough to top Fenix.

Geoff

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
These are on sale now at Lowe's for $29.95.

Someone gave me one and I threw it in my car for an emergency torch. I, for one, am tired of owning Safe Queens that get scratched at the smallest drop. With this light I do not have that problem.(BTW - all my "Safe Queens" are in the line of duty). The only thing crazier than paying out the ears for an expensive light - is paying for one and not using it.

I am partial to clickies, so I like this feature. The Hi/Lo clickie is nice.

The textured body is somewhat slippery to the touch. This can be amended with a gauze tape or some other material. No biggie.

The orange peel reflector has always been my favorite. Look through them as there is some variation in textures between lights. Some might like more texture or less.

The LED on this one is perfectly centered. Some are just a hair one way or the other. Again dig for the best one.

With a Lifetime guarantee, one cannot go wrong. Forever... I don't see how anyone does this.

Since others have asked about Lowe's not returning something - I asked. It is their policy to take back anything purchased there (or replace it) with a receipt. If no receipt, an in-store credit is issued(to replace unit). Like any other retail outlet, ask to speak to a manager if lower level personnel are not cooperative.

As far as a Finix, I have read plenty on negative reviews about all of the many problems with them, so I will let those reviews speak for themselves.

I would like for someone with the technical ability to test these lights objectively, with the proper equipment, for runtime, lumens, etc.. Maybe the LED Museum would be good.

$29.95. Lifetime warranty. Life is good.

Now to mod it to accept rechargeable batts....

:nana:
Fin