Electro Lumens Blaster 3 P, upgrade to K2 led WOW

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have upgraded the blaster 3p, a 3 D cell light ,originally using a LUX III,Now with a K2 ,and for comparison a Seoul P4 and EDC P7.The K2 blows away the P4,larger hotspot,better throw and way more lumens. K2 has a very white tint,no blue ,no green.The P7 has more lumens and way more spill,K2 has much brighter and tighter spot. K2 are pretty impressive.I went for a 20 min walk and K2 had no heat issues,not even warm to the touch(it was 28 degrees) Vf on the K2's Vf is 3.03 to 3.27.Im using 3 nimh @3.6V.So its overdriven but seems to handlel it very well.It is as robust as others on CPF say!Runtime should be very good on NIMH D cell,Tenergy.
K2:)

EDC P7

P4

Sorry for the blurry shots,but it shows the difference pretty well.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Do you have a picture of your EL modded Blaster with the head removed so we can see the LED. Are you using the original 30mm optic?

Bill

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a picture of your EL modded Blaster with the head removed so we can see the LED. Are you using the original 30mm optic?

Bill

Pic added 30 mm optic used.Man is it bright.Highly recommended upgrade.Ive got 2 more and a 3aa light to upgrade!
Any thoughts on a dacree upgrade?Hmm theres someting to think on......

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
cool. is it a nice warm tint too. i didnt think these blew away the p4. theyre not more efficent right? at best they can be the same. is it just pulling more amps cause of the lower vf, or does it allow more total watts than most other single dies, and is therefore brighter but at the expense of a little runtime.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm looking at one of my EL Blasters. What is that black piece that you have added to the top of the heat sink? You've added a resistor, any thing else added?

Bill

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I've been wanting to do the same with my Blaster 1R. Was there enough room in that opening to do the swap without disassembling the light?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at one of my EL Blasters. What is that black piece that you have added to the top of the heat sink? You've added a resistor, any thing else added?

Bill
No resistor.The black piece unscrews and holds a spring against the heat sink to maintain ground. A lot of el lights vary slightly.I have 3 none were exactly alike.
It was a direct swap of leds.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I've been wanting to do the same with my Blaster 1R. Was there enough room in that opening to do the swap without disassembling the light?

I just unscrewed the head and removed the black metal piece,all the room you could need.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool. is it a nice warm tint too. i didnt think these blew away the p4. theyre not more efficent right? at best they can be the same. is it just pulling more amps cause of the lower vf, or does it allow more total watts than most other single dies, and is therefore brighter but at the expense of a little runtime.

I was surprised how much brighter it was.It is beeing overdriven a bit,VF is
.03 to 3.27.I am using 3 D nimh so I figure 3.6 plus whatever resistence this light has,just internal resistence(Im not using a resistor) and voltage sag would work.So far it has,I have about an hour runtime.25 min straight,no heat issues.So I think the lower vf is a big reason its brighter.I dont know much about the efficency between the 2 leds.Runtime with 3 d cell should go pretty long.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
No resistor.The black piece unscrews and holds a spring against the heat sink to maintain ground. A lot of el lights vary slightly.I have 3 none were exactly alike.
It was a direct swap of leds.

Good idea to maintain ground. Wayne screwed the star to my Blaster's to maintain ground and to keep good thermal contact to the heatsink.

Bill

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea to maintain ground. Wayne screwed the star to my Blaster's to maintain ground and to keep good thermal contact to the heatsink.

Bill

I have 1 like that, some with stars,some just the led itself,they are all unique custom builds.