Max current for a high CRI Seoul

ambientmind

Enlightened
How hard has anyone pushed these? I know they are rated for 800mA, but could it handle one amp, or 1.2A?

TexLite

Enlightened
I've driven them up to 1000mA,they seem to be ok there.

The new Dereelight modules are driven at 1200mA.

-Michael

discoverEDC

Enlightened
I have a tailcap reading of 1.2A in the L-mini I put one into. I left it on high too long in a headband and slighty cooked the plastic SSC reflector I put in. The emitter still seems to be working fine.

Walt

ambientmind

Enlightened
I have a tailcap reading of 1.2A in the L-mini I put one into. I left it on high too long in a headband and slighty cooked the plastic SSC reflector I put in. The emitter still seems to be working fine.

Walt

Thanks for the reply. I was going to use it in a D Mag, so heatsinking shouldnt be an issue. Maybe I'll give it a try!

TexLite

Enlightened
The Dereelight modules use Cree XR-E 5A Q3 emitters not Seoul

Yes,sorry,I should have explained better.

The Dereelight does use the XR-E,but its still a Neutral phospher.

I should have said the SSC's seem fine at 1000mA,and Dereelight is driving a Neutral XR-E at 1200mA,which has a phospher similar to the high CRI SSC.

Cree specs recommended a max current of 700mA on that emitter,similar to the Neutral SSC's 800mA.Long term use at 1200mA,especially in the P60 drop-in's,will be a good indicator of how well the phospher tolerates high current.

-Michael

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
You are all right. There are different versions of the Dereelight 5A Q3 modules, and some are driven at 1A while others are at 1.2A max.

TexLite - Thanks for pointing out that 700mA spec. I never noticed that before, and since Dereelight pushed them to typical levels I never thought they were different in that respect. Now I will not be direct driving my new 5A Q3 L1 head @1.3A or so. (What an agglomerate of numbers and letters that is :duh2:)

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened
You are all right. There are different versions of the Dereelight 5A Q3 modules, and some are driven at 1A while others are at 1.2A max.

Yeah,I have the older module,before the increased output current and improved PWM.The old 3SM's would work with 1 Li-ion or 2 or 3 lithium primaries.The new won't work with a single Li-Ion,only multiple primaries.

TexLite - Thanks for pointing out that 700mA spec. I never noticed that before, and since Dereelight pushed them to typical levels I never thought they were different in that respect.Now I will not be direct driving my new 5A Q3 L1 head @1.3A or so.

Your welcome.Higher currents may turn out to be acceptable when we have more long term use/feedback,especially considering the frequency with which we swap emitters due to obsolescence.

(What an agglomerate of numbers and letters that is :duh2:)

Haha,that it is.Its even more astonishing when you can carry on a conversation with someone who understands these acronyms and abbreviations.

On a side note,I've been following your high CRI Beamshots thread(nice thread BTW).I have some interesting diffusion material I can send you if you like that makes comparing tints much easier,especially on lights with different beam patterns.It totally diffuses the beam with a low loss of flux,really makes a difference with shadows and glare.I think its similar to the stuff fastcar had found a year or two back.Send me a PM if your interested,I'll cut you some out of a small sheet I have.

-Michael

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
My two cents is make sure and heatsink well.

Just drove a Cree Q5 at 1 amp for about 15 minutes on a very small heatsink, BuckPuck rated at 1000mA, and for kicks I hooked it up to a 12VDC 7AH battery to see if everything would survive.....

Everything did but boy did my little heat sink get really, really hot. Could only hold it for about 3 seconds before you had to let go. Buckpuck was luke warm.

Bob E.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran a neutral S2 SSC DD on a 17500 and read 1550mA. I just did it a few seconds at a time. Before I measured it, I was thinking "Wow, this doesn't SEEM like a low flux bin - it's just as bright as my U-bin SSC on the same battery."
Well, the neutral S2 seems to have much lower Vf, so it draws a lot more Amps.

mahoney

Enlightened
I have a high CRI Seoul driven at about 1000ma in an Aleph 2. Perhaps it's just a function of the reflector, but there's a definite blue tint to the hotspot that I don't see in the high CRI Seouls I have that are driven around 400ma. I plan to swap it into a different light with a lower drive current and see if that cures the blueness. YMMV, but I think 800 ma might be a good limit for these if you want to keep the warm beam color.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a high CRI Seoul driven at about 1000ma in an Aleph 2. Perhaps it's just a function of the reflector, but there's a definite blue tint to the hotspot that I don't see in the high CRI Seouls I have that are driven around 400ma. I plan to swap it into a different light with a lower drive current and see if that cures the blueness. YMMV, but I think 800 ma might be a good limit for these if you want to keep the warm beam color.

You might want to try the 3000k version instead of the 4000k.

mahoney

Enlightened
The 3000K version is too warm for my taste, but I suppose if it blue-shifted when driven really hard...