Looking for AA EDC - Nitecore D10 and Jetbeam Pro I IBS

Silverback

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly new to the scene and have been doing a lot of reading trying to decide which direction I want to go in purchasing a new light.

So far I've decided on an AA platform. I value throw over flood, and don't mind a complicated UI. The D10 is the first light that caught my eye, based on the many positive reviews, but then I saw the JB Pro I IBS on youtube and really liked it.

I'd like to hear your opinions on how these two lights stack up, and if any other lights in AA should be considered. I look forward to what y'all have to say.

Raybo

Enlightened
UI is key in my book. :thumbsup:

Please do not get a light with anything that you will not use (SOS or strobe :poke:)
Keep it simple for your use, it will make you happy :party:

Ray

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS (v 2.0), its a great little light, I'm running it on Soshine 2500 mAh AA cells and doing a crude runtime test on minimum mode as i type this.

4 hours so far on minimum with no dimming so far. It's waterproof, reasonably shockproof (dropped it on concrete from waist height) and i find the UI very easy to program. You never have to see the strobes or SOS modes if you dont want to either.

The Jet I has 3 individually programmable modes which combined with the UI gives great flexibility in the modes, allowing you to program your light to suit your needs.

P2160217.jpg

1 what

Enlightened
I dont own the Nitecore but have had a Jet 1 Pro IBS since they were released.
No problems at all and I've given it a fair beating.
A nice little torch.:).

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a Jet Pro I IBS. But AFAIK, it's one of the brightest, if not the brightest, 1AA lights around. It's a hard choice to pick, I'd get them both as the "rule" of here goes. :laughing:

I was sold when I watched the D10 PD intro video.

Toaster

Enlightened
With both running NIMH, Jet-I PRO IBS will throw ~34% farther than D10.
With both running 14500, Jet-I PRO IBS will throw ~39% farther than D10.

IMHO you're better off getting a 1xCR123 light if you want a real pocket thrower. But the Jet-I PRO IBS is at the top of the class in terms of throw in the 1xAA EDC class.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The interface on the JetBeam is a better deal, it's essentially the same brightness ramp as the Nitecore but with modes, like station memories on a car radio. Rather than going up or down the ramp every time you want to get to some specific output level, you just soft-press to the specific level/mode you've "saved". Plus the Jet is a flamethrower on 14500s, pushing over 200 lumens.

To be fair, the Nitecore does have a lower low, is a smaller/more compact tube form factor, has excellent efficiency, and truly insane runtime on the minimum output (Chevrofreak recorded a 146.7 hour run on a single Energizer Lithium :eek:oo: ).

But the IBS interface cinched it for me, and I'm really spoiled by it now. Even the basic Fenix interface seems stilted and awkward, once you get used to just instantly blipping to the exact output you want.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I have a Nitecore DI, which is fairly comparable to the D10 and I also have a Jetbeam Jet I pro - the original with the R2 emitter. It too is comparable to the IBS version.

If you want throw, the Jetbeam is definitely the one you want. If you want efficiency and all round usefulness, the Nitecore is probable the one to get.

I use the Nitecore all the time, the Jetbeam only rarely. Both are very well made.

oldpal

Enlightened
I can't comment on the Jetbeam, but I do have a Nitecore D10. The D10 is a super light with a simple UI. It feels great in your hand. You won't be sorry if you get a D10.

Hugh

litetube

Enlightened
D10 has a piston not a clicky switch which can fail. If it was a Mclicky or SF switch I would trust it. a Chinese manufactured click switch (and I think at one point Jetbeams had switch quality issues?) is not something I wouldnt rely on for EDC. Just my opinion here not based on factual Jetbeam personal usage or statistics. I just went the Nitecore PD route for the compactness and that reliable switching mechanism which happens in the head not the tail .

The NC has a very functional pocket clip also .