Seen any 'warm' Luxeon LED samples?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: Seen any \'warm\' Luxeon LED samples?

PhotonBoy,
Just a guess, but all the 3-bin 1Ws I've seen have had blue/purple in the hotspot. Some of the 2's seem to be a "warm" white without any green, others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif . The three, 3-bin 5Ws I have are all very white, without any blue or purple, and I would call it a "soft" (But very bright) white. Maybe they are finally getting their act together on phosphor composition/application. IMHO, Japanese companies have few peers when it comes to continuous improvement.

Larry

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

From my interpretation of the article, the 'warm' phosphor is radically different and designed specifically to penetrate the mainstream consumer market. Flashaholics don't mind bluish-white colors, but most consumers will naturally gravitate to the warmer version.

"The new emitter's ability to closely mimic the spectral output of incandescent sources over the visible color range, including a significant increase in rendition of deep red colors over both conventional LEDs and fluorescents, stems from proprietary phosphor technology developed at Lumileds' Advanced Labs."

My personal prediction is that the new phospor will gain a lot of traction and prices will fall, possibly squeezing the bluish-white phosphors out of existence.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Lumileds ... announced the planned August release of a warm white version of its high-brightness Luxeon LEDs that will feature a correlated color temperature (CCT) in the 3200K range, a typical color rendering index (CRI) of 85+" compared to the current white luxeons "which offer a CCT of 5500K and a CRI of 70".

This is a different product, not just a relabeling or marketing term. Current white luxeons have a minimum CCT of 4500 and that is the nasty greenish white bin 1's.

Pat

*Edit - PhotonBoy posted again while I was composing this. I agree with him that this sounds like a genuinely new product.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Nah, they're just pitching the greenies they couldn't sell before! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Knowing Future, this will drive prices upward!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Really though, I hope this has a positive outcome from the flashaholic standpoint, however my gut feeling tells me we won't like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif