Single mode E2DL: Where do I begin.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm bound and determined to get an E2DL. Here's why.

From what our instructors have told us. The three common places a subject will resist, if he or she is going to, is while being handcuffed, while talking to the officer, or upon initial contact.

Obviously the first and last aren't going to matter when it comes to what's in your hand. The middle does.

The main reasons officers used to carry Maglites (from what my friends have said) is for when they are talking to a subject and they start fighting. Now a days this is impractical and useless. The Maglite doesn't provide enough light in a small enough package.

You all know that companies like Surefire make pens that are like "strike pens". For when you're writing stuff down and someones snaps.

The E2DL would also provide the same comfort. It does have a problem though.

When in a tactical situation, you use momentary a lot. To peek around corners or to just light up where you're going for a brief minute. You can see where the two modes mess you up.

I don't want to go into low mode because I enjoy my momentary on feature. Not a position I want to be in.

Is there a way to make the E2DL a single mode, or can you only buy one of the originals, that were errors.

If you can only buy them.. I hope someone has a good condition one that would sell. I'll freaking offer a ridiculous amount :)

EDIT** If it's not possible to still buy one from a store or make the E2DL a single mode, I just realized the KX2C head is the same thing minus the strike bezel. It would be nice, but I could live without. So no worries if that's what I have to do.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL would also provide the same comfort. It does have a problem though.

When in a tactical situation, you use momentary a lot. To peek around corners or to just light up where you're going for a brief minute. You can see where the two modes mess you up.

I don't really understand where the two modes will mess you up. The light will only go into low mode if you turn the light on-off-on within 2 seconds. It seems to be more an issue of training than anything else. Once you know not to turn the light on-off and on again if you are going to need light again within two seconds then you will never have a problem. It's kinda like not pulling the trigger if your startled. You have to think clearly in that type of situation. It seems like once you are familiar with the product, you can use it accordingly. But that's just my opinion. I would rather have the option of low mode, giving you light for things close up without blinding yourself when your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really understand where the two modes will mess you up. The light will only go into low mode if you turn the light on-off-on within 2 seconds. It seems to be more an issue of training than anything else. Once you know not to turn the light on-off and on again if you are going to need light again within two seconds then you will never have a problem. It's kinda like not pulling the trigger if your startled. You have to think clearly in that type of situation. It seems like once you are familiar with the product, you can use it accordingly. But that's just my opinion. I would rather have the option of low mode, giving you light for things close up without blinding yourself when your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

A lot of multi-mode lights, Including the E2DL can change modes if dropped or bumped hard enough. All it takes is a momentary disconnect from the battery compressing the spring. I can see how a single mode light in certain situations is preferable.

Kato

Enlightened

Many low light combat instructors (including those associated with the Surefire Institute) teach light-move-light tactics to avoid being shot in a combat environment. Because your light is a bullet magnet, these tactics utilize momentary activations of the light in relatively quick succession combined with movement. If I have to wait two seconds between flashes, I am at a severe tactical disadvantage. Two seconds is a long time to be blind.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two seconds is a long time to be blind.

Also, I recently read a thread which mentioned the memory's can be longer than 2 seconds. IIRC the lights in question were an E2DL and an E1B. So you could drop on one that takes several seconds between presses (to come back on at the same level).

deusexaethera

Banned
I thought the point of the big Maglite was so they could crack your skull with it if you try anything stupid.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search, why not get the Solarforce L2 host and the single mode drop in pill of your choice? It has almost the same level of crenellations as far as almost cutable point type edges as the E2DL. Its only slightly wider and will fit in a variety of holsters already available. You could for instance get a smooth reflector Dereelight R2 pill to drop into it, have a good spot light (if that's part of the reason you want the E2DL in the first place), some useable spill and the reliability of a good single mode module, you could put a forward clicky on the tail end and still be way cheaper than the Surefire and accomplish your task. I of course will always be partial to dropping in a Malkoff M60.

And I agree with you 100%. Now that I have the E2DL that 2 second minimum between pressing in order to make sure it doesn't switch modes makes it next to useless for spontaneous momentary operations, when you just can't worry about having to wait 2 seconds or not. You have a 50% chance of not getting the mode you want when you want it. Its not a training issue its a simply not a tactical feature of the light. G

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless I'm totally wrong, when you momentary hit high mode and release it and press it again for momentary within two seconds it will go to low. Same technique when constant on.

The problem is that those situations are fast paced and we don't have that much time to make sure our light is doing what it is supposed to.

I promise it isn't lack of training, the way it changes into different modes isn't up to par.

We would need something just press = bright light, press = bright light, press = bright light no matter how many seconds we waited.

A lot of multi-mode lights, Including the E2DL can change modes if dropped or bumped hard enough. All it takes is a momentary disconnect from the battery compressing the spring. I can see how a single mode light in certain situations is preferable.

+1 sort of.

Not a worry of mine, but it definitely should be. It's not a cake walk and it isn't always smooth. When you're life depends on doing your job right and that jobs depends on having a certain tool or tools, it or they better be right.

Many low light combat instructors (including those associated with the Surefire Institute) teach light-move-light tactics to avoid being shot in a combat environment. Because your light is a bullet magnet, these tactics utilize momentary activations of the light in relatively quick succession combined with movement. If I have to wait two seconds between flashes, I am at a severe tactical disadvantage. Two seconds is a long time to be blind.

Exactly. Fast paced, momentary light pops, using the light to hide where you are and blind the other person. You don't always want your light on, but you can't worry about it going into low when you need it again.

Have you posted a WTB in the Marketplace?

Not yet. This was sort of a question where I didn't have the means to actually purchase anything. Recently laid off and out of money.

I start a new job Tuesday and will be able to purchase within a few weeks. I'm just trying to do some research.

I thought the point of the big Maglite was so they could crack your skull with it if you try anything stupid.

Yes. Cops now a days have plenty of means with dealing with subjects who aren't doing what you want them to do. Using a club to go after people isn't going to cut it.

HOWEVER, it's common for subjects to snap and jump you while talking. At night, you would be off guard and with a Maglite in hand. There is the benefits.

Hence, having a strike bezel and one jab to the chest in a certain pressure point would give you time to gather yourself for a fight, or use of less lethal force. Taser hehe. (I got tased a couple of days ago, it hurts..)

Search, why not get the Solarforce L2 host and the single mode drop in pill of your choice? It has almost the same level of crenellations as far as almost cutable point type edges as the E2DL. Its only slightly wider and will fit in a variety of holsters already available. You could for instance get a smooth reflector Dereelight R2 pill to drop into it, have a good spot light (if that's part of the reason you want the E2DL in the first place), some useable spill and the reliability of a good single mode module, you could put a forward clicky on the tail end and still be way cheaper than the Surefire and accomplish your task. I of course will always be partial to dropping in a Malkoff M60.

And I agree with you 100%. Now that I have the E2DL that 2 second minimum between pressing in order to make sure it doesn't switch modes makes it next to useless for spontaneous momentary operations, when you just can't worry about having to wait 2 seconds or not. You have a 50% chance of not getting the mode you want when you want it. Its not a training issue its a simply not a tactical feature of the light. G

+1 you nailed it with the second paragraph.

As far as the first part. Thanks for pointing that out, something I'm going to think about. Probably the best option besides getting a single-mode E2DL.. which I was PMed from someone who owns one who will sale.

I just hope he still has it when I've got some money :)

If someone who needs it more comes along then I'll look back into what you said.

Until then, I appreciate all of the info. Information is plentiful here.

RunningDave

Newly Enlightened
In stressful situations, fine motor skills go out the window.

Stick with what you're trained to use. Don't get all fancy with the flashlights. Simple press on, release off of the surefire is pretty idiot proof. Some like the clicky on switch, which is also idiot proof. Don't get something too bright, it's just gonna blind the heck out you too.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just get the new L4, it's also 120 lumens? http://www.surefire.com/L4-LumaMax

I prefer the body of the E2DL.

I got a chance to hold an E2D and it felt perfect in my hand. The shape was a perfect fit.

I found someone who is offering an E2DL single-mode so I just have to hope I get the money before something happens.

So if you read this, you've made a life-time customer out of me. Good customer service is the most valuable business resource IMO.

seattlite

Enlightened
EDIT** If it's not possible to still buy one from a store or make the E2DL a single mode, I just realized the KX2C head is the same thing minus the strike bezel. It would be nice, but I could live without. So no worries if that's what I have to do.

Check out the dealers forum....OpticHQ. They might have more KX2C's for a DANG good price. I have both a 1 mode E2DL head and the KX2C. Same output, near same beam profile.