NEV's (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles)

Tomas

Banned
NEV\'s (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles)

Washington State Legislature Passes Neighborhood Electric Vehicle Legislation, Senate Bill 5450.

(Includes links to NEV info.)

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: NEV\'s (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles)

One of my friends has a Toyletta Prius, and I've ridden in it once. It's quite quiet, and you can't tell when the gas engine is on or when the electric motor is on or when it switches between the two. But it has this color LCD screen above the stereo that says which mode you're driving in (said to have about a 1 second delay), what kind of mileage you're getting, and a bunch of other horse puckey like that.

The NEVs toward the bottom of the page look like golf carts, and they're occasionally offered as prizes on The Price Is Right, retailing for around $8,000 or thereabouts.

My Rascal scooter goes about 25 miles at 4.5mph before the batteries poop out (assuming you have fairly new batteries), so I hope these NEVs do better than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

This might be a good thing for Centralia, but knowing human nature, not so hot for Seattle. It will only be a matter of time before some of the owners of these NEVs will start taking them onto streets with higher speeds then they are capable of (maximum speed-25mph). Just the additional work the Seattle police needed. God save us from the legislators at the gates!

Dan

Tomas

Banned

Actually not all of them are golf carts, Craig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This one, The "IT" from Dynasty Motorcar, looks like a viable urban grocery-getter with it's 110 volt charging, 30 mile range, 1000 pound load capacity, and closed body.

It's even kinda cute.
van-white.jpg

Add to that the list price af around 10K and it just might be a viable vehicle for purely urban use. 25MPH is a bit slow, but I'll bet it can be cranked up to maybe 30-35 ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig03.gif

Tomas

Banned

Dan, they are limited by the law to use on streets with no more than a 35 MPH speed limit. For where I live, that covers 99% of the streets in town, and it would be fairly easy to avoid the few 40MPH streets here (south Puget Sound - Lakewood). Another advantage is that my "city" of about 80,000 doesn't really have much in the way of hills, and the few it does have are quite mild.

I wouldn't mind at all having one of these as my grocery-getter and mall-moto. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig02.gif

Willmore

Enlightened

Ha! These things couldn't even get out of my subdivision! The sub is 25, but the main feeder road is a 40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd love to pass one of these while on a bicycle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hmmm, how to mount a high beam on a bicycle so I can flash-to-pass one of these......

Latest posts