Malkoff M30 with 3xAA FiveMega vs M60 review

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The long-expected AA bodies from FiveMega have arrived and what it a perfect time it is to test the M30 Malkoff module that runs on 1 - 5.5V. I've always wanted to do that but never really got a chance until now.

This exactly what I have been waiting for after months of complaing why Surefire doesn't make an AA lite. This is not a Surefire but it's a clone you might say and it works very well. (A clone of the concept, there is no 3xAA Surefire of any kind)

While 2xAA and 1xAA bodies are avaiable, I got the 3xAA body to get the max runtime and power. I figure that with Lithiums (L91) it should be nearly identical to Surefire 9P with M60 module, given that 1xAA L91 has the W-hour as 123 primary.

The first thing that strikes you is that the 3xAA body is much longer than Surefire 9P and certainly 6P. (9P pictured). I can EDC it but in some cases it's harder to do than 9P. It's very similar to the olde MiniM*g 3xAA that came out a few years ago. The quality is of course incomparibly higher.

Why 3xAA FiveMega?

It's a C-head, you can use any C-head you want, better yet, you can drop in any module that will work with the input voltage. Example M30WL or M30F (Not sure of all the configurations Gene makes).

M302.jpg

M303.jpg

The knurling is very well done. I have other FiveMega and Leef bodies but this one is the best of them all. It will not slip out of your hand. Feels like a solid piece of equipment. The diameter of the body is very slightly larger than MiniM*g so that it won't fit in holsters designed for MiniM*gs. Believe me, I tried. Not sure what holster will work for it. A holster is a good idea as it's just very slightly too large for inside-the-pocket carry. It fits inside my pockets but barely so, a holster might work out better anyway.

M305.jpg

The cells are inserted from the LED end. There is no removable tailcap. I am not sure if the tailcap that comes with FM body is waterproof, I didn't test it. From the outside, M30 looks exactly the same as M60.

M304.jpg

M306.jpg

Initially I was disappointed with M30 as it's a typical LED-ish tint, that has a touch of blue. The color rendition is not as good as it's with M60. I don't know if I lost the LED lottery on this one but OTOH I definitely won the lottery with M60 - it's the most perfect tint I've ever seen, just a touch of "warm" (Not being M60W).

M301.jpg

I tried all available AA cells I had and here is my impression.
The shot above is M60 with 2x18500 cells vs M30 on 3xAA L91 Lithium cells, both fully charged. I think you can safely assume that M30 is just as bright as M60 on L91s or maybe a hair brighter even.

I also tried Maha Powerex 2700 mAh cells (about 1.5 years old and at the end of their life) and my impression was they were just very slightly less bright than the aforementioned M60 configuration. If I were to guess, a solid 200 lumens. The hot spot seemed to be just slightly less defined as it is with M60. I could also be wrong with my guesstimate. +/- 30 lumens is not easy to tell.

I also tried Eneloops and got about the same results. Did not rest them for runtime just yet.

The other chemistries I tried were Alkalines. I thought the output was less bright than L91s but at least as bright as with NiMh cells. It did decline more steeply than with NiMH cells.

The biggest surprise I got was when I tried the junk Carbon-Zinc cells (I have a big pile of them laying around) and while they produced a very dim bulb nowhere near the M30 category or even in the 1W category, I got about 1.5 hours of decent lite, enough to navigate with and then about 45 minutes of declining lite. I expected about 20 minutes but M30 seems to get every bit of power out of them.

So this is rather cool. What other Surefire or Surefire clone do you know that can run on Alkalines or Carbon-Zinc AA cells. To reiterate, the best output is realized on Lithium primary cells, L91s.

The 2xAA FiveMega body was very tempting but I knew I wouldn't get the whole lumens output, certainly not 230 lumens. Certainly not the runtime. Here is what Gene said:

The input voltage is 1-5.5 volts. The output is approximately 235+ lumens at 3.3v+ and 160+ lumens at 3v. The runtime is 1 1/4+ hours on one CR123 primary battery. Runtimes on other battery configurations are highly dependant upon the size and capacity of the cell. It will easily illuminate objects at 350+ feet and will blind opponents within a 100 foot radius. The LED is a Cree XRE 7090.

I pointed it at myself the mirror and saw stars for the next 2 minutes. It's bright.

The conclusion: A great addition to any collection. Run the M30 module on L91, NiMH, Alkaline or other AA chemistries. That was basically my goal, to have AA compatibility. Li-Ion is an option as long as the total voltage does not exceed 5.5V. Which means 1x18650 + M30 is a good choice.

I am however not going to be selling my M60 anytime soon as I can run it in a "real" Surefire plus the tint is about as good as it gets

You can buy the FiveMega AA-based bodies in the CPF's Custom & Mod B/S/T

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=221687

Malkoff M30 is available on the Malkoff web site:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14_16&products_id=29

Last edited:

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
Nice review! I ordered the 2xAA body last week and after reading this, I'm starting to think I should get the 3xAA also. I like the fact that the 3xAA provides the full output from the M30x dropins...the only thing holding me back is how long it is. As always, it's all about tradeoffs!!

Looks like I need to make a quick decision on the 3xAA body now that this review has let the cat out of the bag:D!!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What held me back from pursuing the 3AA body is the lack of a tailcap. I just prefer to load my batteries from the rear, particularly when I use a drop in. I recently bought a Sure A14 extender, which is essentially the same length as a 17500. I can add the A14 to my FiveMega 2X18500 body and run 3XAA NiMh's with my M30.

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I ordered the 2xAA body last week and after reading this, I'm starting to think I should get the 3xAA also. I like the fact that the 3xAA provides the full output from the M30x dropins...the only thing holding me back is how long it is. As always, it's all about tradeoffs!!

Looks like I need to make a quick decision on the 3xAA body now that this review has let the cat out of the bag:D!!

Get it now, while you still can. There is a limited number available and I am not sure he will do another run. It's a great addition to any collection.

Anyway, yes it is long but it's also slim. All in all I like the 9P body (Or 2x18500) more but the AA compatibility is sweet.

deusexaethera

Banned
It's not surprising that the lithium AA's ran best. From what I've seen, they output more in the 1.6-1.7v range, instead of 1.5v.

Out of curiosity, are Surefire's heads uniform enough that you could put one of these Malkoff drop-ins into any of them, or do they only fit certain models? I know virtually nothing about the brand.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Initially I was disappointed with M30 as it's a typical LED-ish tint, that has a touch of blue. The color rendition is not as good as it's with M60. I don't know if I lost the LED lottery on this one but OTOH I definitely won the lottery with M60 - it's the most perfect tint I've ever seen, just a touch of "warm" (Not being M60W).
The hot spot seemed to be just slightly less defined as it is with M60.
The biggest surprise I got was when I tried the junk Carbon-Zinc cells (I have a big pile of them laying around) and while they produced a very dim bulb nowhere near the M30 category or even in the 1W category, I got about 1.5 hours of decent lite, enough to navigate with and then about 45 minutes of declining lite. I expected about 20 minutes but M30 seems to get every bit of power out of them.
My experience with the tint of my M30 vs M60 is exactly the same, my newer M30 is a cool white while my older M60 is warmer. Luck of the draw I guess, but funny that it's the same as what you got.

Regarding comparing the size of the hot spot, same thing for me. I have read that the newest optic that Gene uses makes for a slightly larger, less-defined hot spot.

That is the first review of carbon-zinc cells with a Malkoff module, I think. As their energy density and voltage drop under load are astoundingly bad, worse than I would have ever believed until I saw the numbers, the fact that they are usable is amazing. I bet you could use four or five of them to drive the M30 with reasonable performance, if you didn't mind a _really_ long (or fat) body.:)

Thanks for the review, interesting reading.
K

What held me back from pursuing the 3AA body is the lack of a tailcap. I just prefer to load my batteries from the rear, particularly when I use a drop in.
+1 here, when changing Malkoff modules or C-series bezels it's sometimes a handful to keep that heavy brass heatsink from getting away from me unless I'm at my desk. I wouldn't like to have to juggle that heavy drop-in during battery changes as well.:huh:

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not surprising that the lithium AA's ran best. From what I've seen, they output more in the 1.6-1.7v range, instead of 1.5v.

Out of curiosity, are Surefire's heads uniform enough that you could put one of these Malkoff drop-ins into any of them, or do they only fit certain models? I know virtually nothing about the brand.

Measuring the voltage in a chain, I get a solid 5.5V for all 3, which I assume means each one is at 1.8V.

Re: Surefire - I am not a real expert on it but I have 5 (five) C-heads and they all seem to be interchangeable. Most of the bodies I use are not Surefire however.

There is little SF in this configuration... just the bezel. The module is aftermarket ( Malkoff ), the body is also aftermarket (FiveMega).

what I like best about this setup is that it gradually gets dimmer versus cutting off completely like my M60 setup with AW Li-Ion cells. They cut just out in an instant, being protected. Of course you can use 123 primaries with M60 but I rarely do so. Alkalines for M30 are more affordable and more widely avaialble, that plus NiMH.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the first review of carbon-zinc cells with a Malkoff module, I think. As their energy density and voltage drop under load are astoundingly bad, worse than I would have ever believed until I saw the numbers, the fact that they are usable is amazing. I bet you could use four or five of them to drive the M30 with reasonable performance, if you didn't mind a _really_ long (or fat) body.:)
:

You know, I must be the only one in the whole world running M30 + FiveMega 3AA body and Carbon-Zinc junk cells.
J/K, I got a large supply of them by accident, I thought they were alkalines and what a surprise that was. At least they were cheap (2 cents each). I have been trying to give them away actually.

My primary I think will be most likely Eneloop 2AA, 2000 mAh capacity. I promise to do a runtime evaluation on it. Would be interesting to see results of it vs. L91 primaries or even vs. M60 on 3x123 cells. But it's nice to know alkalines work well with this M30 config.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The load on the carbon zinc cells will be about 1.25+amps, so keep an eye out for leaking.

Bill

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
Is there such a thing as a single D cell body for a Surefire 6P? Then you could use a D battery adapter holding 3 AAs for a more compact carry. Seems like that set-up with a M30WF and some way of getting a low setting (tail cap with levels?) would be close to the perfect light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Is there such a thing as a single D cell body for a Surefire 6P? Then you could use a D battery adapter holding 3 AAs for a more compact carry. Seems like that set-up with a M30WF and some way of getting a low setting (tail cap with levels?) would be close to the perfect light.

Tailcap with levels would be good. A simple resistor could drop the output to the M30 circuit so we could have a 130+lumen output, and 220+output.

Bill

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I must be the only one in the whole world running M30 + FiveMega 3AA body and Carbon-Zinc junk cells.
J/K, I got a large supply of them by accident, I thought they were alkalines and what a surprise that was. At least they were cheap (2 cents each). I have been trying to give them away actually.

My primary I think will be most likely Eneloop 2AA, 2000 mAh capacity. I promise to do a runtime evaluation on it. Would be interesting to see results of it vs. L91 primaries or even vs. M60 on 3x123 cells. But it's nice to know alkalines work well with this M30 config.
I don't have a runtime on L91 primaries but I do have a runtime test on 2 eneloops with my M30WF.Starting voltage of 2.90 volts ending voltage 1.91 volts total runtime of 2:03 hrs.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anecdotal data, but Malkoff M30 with 3xAA L91 seems to have a longer runtime vs. Surefire 9P with M60 and 3x123 Panasonic cells.

Hm, I only have 1 sample and both were used on and off so it's not solid evidence.

I am however impressed with the runtime of M30 on 3xAA Lithiums.

I am also impressed with its runtime on 3xAA Alkalines. You get a very bright maybe 45 minutes and then brighteness in the 1W range for another couple hours. But it is very impressive to get that kind of performance even for a short time from cheap alks cells.

To reiterate, it even runs on Carbon Zinc junk cells, although it's pretty dim.