Can You Identify This Flashlight Stuff?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Just a quick snapshot of the tabletop when a couple of Flashoholics get together. Sonic was supposed to come by just to drop off collimators and pick up some flashlight parts, we got to talking, out came the flashlights, then of course we had to light meter'em, and you can guess what happened. Can you identify any of this stuff?

Flashoholic-Frenzy-2.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Nope, can't get 'em all.

I can recgonise the following:

o Wavetek (Meterman) light meter
o Elektrolumens Elektroblaster built in what appears to be a Nordic D-cell body
o Mag C-cell light
o Brinkmann Legend LX
o Brinkmann Legend 3x AA (2 whole, 3 partially disembowelled with LS added)
o Blue Mini-Mag with aftermarket switch
o Arc-LS w/ 123 barrel
o Arc-AAA
o Energizer Arc White
o Dorcy Cool Blue (Turtlelite 1 clone)
o Unlabelled light with slide-open activation (I have one of these)
o LED-Lenser 3-LED, 3x AA

I don't know what the blue headlamp, the camouflage finish "quantum 2000-like", the "squeeze" light, the small film can-like cylinder, or several of the 2x AA lights are; I don't recognise any of the instrument brands except for the orange Meterman, and I don't know what the function of the two instruments on the right (above the sqeeze light) are.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
The one above the squeeze light looks like an infrared thermometer (I have never seen one) or a blade count gauge used in R/C airplanes to find out the RPM's (some of the high end engines can get over 20,000 RPM) but I know it isn't that since that all relates to electronics and lights.

Spud

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a recipie for "flashlight drag racing"
grin.gif
grin.gif

Is the white "tester" (that's next to the Radio Shack IR thermometer) a light meter? The configuration appears similar to the LM631's that we have..

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I can't tell that from the picture. Looks like a plain, ordinary artifact from the camera's speedlight. Just like I can't tell what "secret" is in Saaby's picture because the image degraded too much by the time it was uploaded.

Only a close-up of both of the suspect flashlights would reveal the truth.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
After blowing up the picture a bit, it looks like reflection instead of multiple LEDs.

Alan

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow Craig, you got'em almost all. That Nordic body is actually a rubber sleeve, made for better gripping purposes, over a regular 2D body. The other C Mag-alike is the R/S $2.97 3C special.

One of those disemboweled Legends is coming out to you (in fact went out today), and the blue MiniMag w/Kroll switch has the Opalec NewBeam conversion in the head.

Yeah ain't that slide open light cool? Mine is quite bright, beats the stock MiniMag. Too bad it's plastic, would be great to slip an LS in it if there was enough metal to heatsink it -- unless it's straight underdriven (but then it would be probably too dim IMHO).

The camo light is the one with that 3AA battery holder that's exactly the size of a D battery (the can-like container you refer to), the squeeze light is made in the Ukraine and has a Bechtold-installed 4-Nichia 6400mcd mod in it, really bright and the amazing thing is, I've had the cheap Chinese-made ones that rattle and vibrate with an obscenely-imbalanced dynamo wheel in them, but this Russky model is silky smooth and keeps those Nichias lit until almost right down to when the internal wheel stops turning.

The two instruments are IR thermometers, one is a Radio Shack version (which I just returned today) and the other is a Sears Craftsman with red laser aiming beam, doesn't help much up close but is pretty spot-on at distance.

The unidentified 2AA is that Garrity all-aluminum Ozark Trail model from Wal-Mart (see its clampack to the left of the yellow multimeter -- yeah, they finally got them in at our local store, plus FINALLY the Legend LX and some other hard-to-find-in-Hawaii lights), and that black clamp thing just below the blue headlamp is a Nite-Ize 8-click-position 2AA holder. Very handy actually.

Dana, actually this is just what One of us had in One pocket (heh heh).

Hey Spud, didn't know they had such a thing as an RC propeller rpm counter. Why do they need to know that? To prevent cheating or something?

Hay Slick, it wan't a light meter at all but the Craftsman IR thermometer I just won on e-bay for $54 (brand new), retails around $80 I think...

You guys all bingo'd on the reflection thing -- I Wish it was multiple leds you were seeing.

Maybe more pics the next time a Flashoholic comes over.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Charlie:

The meter to the left,with the yellow around it is the digital VOM you got as a gift when you bought the Wavetec light meter.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Sorry, I had to buy it from Electronic Goldmine. You mean they gave away free meters? I never got one!

Then again, I bought it as the "LightMan", when they changed company names, plus it was on sale so I guess that part was the gimme.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
The RPM gauges are used when they are trimming their tuned pipes to get maximum RPMs. They do that for the racing planes. They are small (foot and half to two foot wing span) and FAST (between 120 and either 150 or 180, can't remember). At the start of the race they are told when it is ten seconds from the start. Then they all fly up over about a thousand feet, drop STRAIGHT down at full throttle and while counting to themselves, they try to pass the start line RIGHT when the 10 second timer beeps. If they go before, they are disqualified, if they go after then there are people already ahead of them. They go 10 laps around the pylons (it is called pylon racing by the way). One of the guys at our old club bought a radar gun specifically for testing airplanes with. Several had the RPM things to get the maximum power out of their engines.

Spud