minimag 2*AA upgrade

bananajoe

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks!

after solving the problem with my fenix, I started looking around CFP, and, thanks to some of your works which really impressed me, I went sleeping with a dream: have my old incan minimag again on active duty.

I looked around for hints and information, since this is, if I can carry it on, my first "homemade" upgrade, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. So, let me ask you some suggestions according to my goal: ** I'd like to drive a CREE XR-E Q5 @ 800-1000 milliamps. **

my fundamental question is: which kind of driver circuit do I need? are there any "multi-mode" circuits of the right size (14 mm diameter - I could see on the web only 16-17 mm or larger)? which reflector do you suggest? (heatsink production shouldn't be a problem... I have a friend who can build it for me :devil: )

Thanks!

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am planning to direct drive a Q5 on 14mm base from DX.
I want too drive it from a 14500 Lithium Battery (just one in the 2AA and fill the rest with a spacer)

I am waiting for the stuff to arrive.
When built, i can post the milliamps it draws (should be close to 1000mA)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
At high drive levels, make sure the led is well heatsinked to the body of the MM. Even then, you may need to limit ontime to a few minutes if driving the led near 1A.

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
At high drive levels, make sure the led is well heatsinked to the body of the MM. Even then, you may need to limit ontime to a few minutes if driving the led near 1A.

you think the MM will not conduct the heat away enough?
I want to use a 900mAh battery, so max i'm looking at a runtime of approx. 1hr.
I don't know if I will ever really use that, but should be possible?

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
Since you are putting a spacer in there anyway why didn't you use a 14670 battery? More MAh and a shorter spacer.

:wave:Okay, got me there :duh2:
After a short google search i found them at lighthound and Flickr, but they don't post the mAh rate :confused:

At CPF i find 1100mAh is that correct or are they higher now?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MM body will conduct heat, but it doesn't have a ton of mass like a larger, heavier light would. The biggest deal is making sure there is a good thermal path from the led to the body. Many MM modules plug into the MM bipin socket, and are mostly thermally isolated from the MM body.

Even with good heat sinking, 1A is alot of current for the MM to dissapate. That is, if you want to be able to run the light for longer burn times. If you only plan on a few mins per on, than it would probably be ok.

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
I'll test that when the parts are in and I had time to make the light.
I tent to glue the cree Q5 with a 14mm base directly tho the top of the MM. I will do that with thermal glue.
Maybe I will "lube" the head of the mm with normal thermal paste. this to conduct heat from the MM body to the MM head.
I hope that is enough to get the heat away.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, here it is... 3.5v @ 1.9A :naughty:
Wonder how long the LED can take this before :poof:
Well, is it bright? :crackup:

It'll probably last hundreds of hours, if it doesn't get too hot...

But it'll probably get too hot. :(

I'd say that wants regulation, or at least some sort of multi-mode, so you can set it to stun when running on a full cell.

wildstar87

Enlightened
BananaJoe, my mod is similar to what Ktafil posted, did this a while back but using SS drivers. Works with 2AA, as well as 14500. I've built 4 of these this way, and have used MM+/BB750/GD1000 drivers and work really nicely. I've used them for a good length of time, and haven't had any issues with heat (body does get warm).

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=194179

I've been using the 18mm aluminum reflector from DX with this in most of the mods, but the Fraen works as well.