What's your excuse?

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
My wife just found out that I bought a $300.00 Surefire U2, I got
reamed big time!! I have no idea HOW she found out, as we keep
seperate accounts. She must have seen my emails!

I got the same story; "you already HAVE TONS of stupid flashlights!!"

I tried to tell her, you need a seperate flashlight for every kind of task.

A flashlight for taking out the trash, for walking the dog, for investigating
possible prowlers on the property, for getting out of bed to go the
bathroom, etc, etc. I dont think it worked. Now, she isnt talking to me,
I am getting the "silent" treatment! LOL!! and I had to make my own
dinner last night, and when I got to work this morning, I found that she
made me a "butter" sandwich for lunch!! :ohgeez:

So, thanks alot CPF!! this is another fine mess youve gotten me into!! :crackup:

Kiwi_sg

Newly Enlightened
Isn't 'the silent treatment' a good thing?? although maybe that's why I'm not married anymore!! Having a GF who you don't have to explain any flashlight purchases, (or why I came home at 4am last Friday night), to is much easier...

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Isn't 'the silent treatment' a good thing?? although maybe that's why I'm not married anymore!! Having a GF who you don't have to explain any flashlight purchases, (or why I came home at 4am last Friday night), to is much easier...

No, not a good thing, it's creepy!!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're doing something which would seriously **** off your wife if she found out, perhaps you should consider not doing it. She might be right on this one...:shrug:

Kiwi_sg

Newly Enlightened
I guess you have to think about how you would feel if she had purchased a $300 pair of shoes...

herrgurka

Newly Enlightened
Ah, the silent treatment, well, two can play at that. And at least in my experience women mostly lose, their whole socialization conditions them for talking things through very thoroughly and you can't do that under the conditions of the silent treatment. You on the other hand can start conversing with your flashlights while tenderly removing those annoying specks of dust with a soft cloth :D

While not a big issue at our home I recognize the situation, even though my flashlight consumption still is inside the limits of my share of our common economy. Sometime she asks my "oh, what did that light cost, it looks expensive" and I usually answer "well, it looks more expansive than it was" or "real value can't be measured in money" or some such nonsense.

But is seems to me that you have disturbed the delicate balance in your home. Do not promise to consume less (at least not if you can't keep the promise) but try to make up to her in some other way. Make your own lunch sandwiches for a while and while your at it, make hers as well. :) Hide small notes in her jacket saying "a smile from you is worth more than XXX lights)".

Good luck!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
something just bothers me in this..

she saw your emails? spied them over your shoulder? or worse, has the passwords?

either way thats not something one should do. my letters, my emails, my textmessages, my stuff are mine! no one, i repeat no one, has right to look at them unless i show them to them.

-no matter if there is something worth hiding.. just the basic rule.

and then the most positive way how she knew that it was expensive.. you have trained her well. she has learned what is cool and what is not.. if thats the case then she is also becoming a flashholic. (a penny saving kind thou)

hope you learned something. mention the cool light you might want to buy someday , if you can get the money saved for it as it is on the expensive side.. you know softening the blow.. (preferred few weeks before it actually arrives)

when it does arrive you can say that you did mention of it before and now you had the money saved up especially for it. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Try agreeing to have individual "mad money" accounts or allowances that give each of you money to spend that the other person can't criticize. Sounds a little childish, but it works. It helps you to moderate your own spending urges and lessens the guilt.

Geoff

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
"you already HAVE TONS of stupid flashlights!!"

I used to get the same line up until last fall. I explained that I don't drink(much :)), smoke nor do I go out with the guys. I'm home for the family most of the time and that collecting/modding flash lights is something that I really enjoy.

It took her about 5 years to realize that. You still need to be smart about what you spend your money on.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Try agreeing to have individual "mad money" accounts or allowances that give each of you money to spend that the other person can't criticize. Sounds a little childish, but it works. It helps you to moderate your own spending urges and lessens the guilt.

Geoff

Yeah, we sort of do that, but $300.00 flashlights I guess are considered
beyond "mad" and boarders on financial lunacy! :crazy:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I used to get the same line up until last fall. I explained that I don't drink(much :)), smoke nor do I go out with the guys. I'm home for the family most of the time and that collecting/modding flash lights is something that I really enjoy.

It took her about 5 years to realize that. You still need to be smart about what you spend your money on.

Is spending $300.00 on a flashlight smart? To me it is, other's will think
it's crazy. But like you said, I dont go out with my friends to clubs and
such spending money.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I just don't let people know how much I spend on lights, or tools...for making lights :naughty:

I dont either, I even have all my stuff delivered to my office.
She just found out about this one, now, she probably thinks I
spend at least that much on all my flashlights.
When she looks at my Nitecore D10, she will think, "I wonder how
many HUNDREDS of dollars he spent on this little metal tube"!! :duh2:

Latest posts