Arrg, first lost light, Edit: Great, no more fully working light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It was the Fenix E01 that was a GIFT from Brighterisbetter! ARRG!!! :hairpull: And it wasn't even my fault.

So here's the story:

Me and a few other people were at an overnight at the local YMCA and we went into the gym to play firsbee. Well since the gym was dark I decided to place the E01 in the rim of the frisbee and threw it to see the lighting effect.

Well, the light fell out mid-flight and an not-think-at-the-moment firend of mine decides to run out to the light, grab it by the lanyard, and throw it up. I waited for the light to fall back to the ground, tell him not to throw my lights around, and then continue. Well, the light did not come down. It was stuck in a curtain that was used to seprate the court in half when needed.

Well, the curtain could be lowered and I could get the light back, but at that time I really had to go because I had a competation the next day so I asked the friend who threw the light if he could remind the counselors to lower the curtain and return the light to me on Monday. Unsurprisingly, he forgot(and probably didn't care judging by the face he had on). SO now 2 weeks later, the light still hasn't shown up even though Fenix Store graciously laser etched my name into it. My name is pretty unique. The curtian was lowered 2 days from the time of the toss for something but apparently no one saw it.

ARRG, so the first time I lost a light and it wasn't even my fault.:shakehead

Edit:

Great, now I don't even have a single fully working light:mecry:. The only light that was working fine till a moment ago was a 1AAA DX light (Seoul P4 LED). It started being dim with a fresh battery, so I took it apart to see what's wrong and then the LED came off.
The first Cree light I have now has a loose domed Q5 with no soldering point anywhere (all held by pressure). Juttery output since it doesn't have anything soldered together.
The Maglite 85, well, bad batteries can't take the draw so it dims in minutes. The McGizmo, it lost the contact knob and no batteries will make contact, and I don't know where the soldering iron is kept so I can't switch the driver.
The E01 is still lost.
The Minimag currently direct drives a sanded down 5mm LED that is flickery and pretty dim.
A 1 AA MTE light lies broken somewhere.
The 2 D cell light. It still technically works but it's pretty big to carry around and it likes to crush 18650 batteries so I don't trust it anymore. I have a 5 cell bulb in it.

And that's all of my lights in non working, semi working, or I just don't trust it condition. Probably the most skewered light to post ratio ever :laughing:, I'm not in college yet and have no job, also parent's aren't willing to get me a good light because of cost.

I'll save up a bit of cash and see what Target or Walmart has when we go shopping whenever that is.

Where's that soldering iron!!!:poof:

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
Re: Arrg, first lost light

It was the Fenix E01 that was a GIFT from Brighterisbetter! ARRG!!! :hairpull: And it wasn't even my fault.

So here's the story:

Me and a few other people were at an overnight at the local YMCA and we went into the gym to play firsbee. Well since the gym was dark I decided to place the E01 in the rim of the frisbee and threw it to see the lighting effect.

Well, the light fell out mid-flight and an not-think-at-the-moment firend of mine decides to run out to the light, grab it by the lanyard, and throw it up. I waited for the light to fall back to the ground, tell him not to throw my lights around, and then continue. Well, the light did not come down. It was stuck in a curtain that was used to seprate the court in half when needed.

Well, the curtain could be lowered and I could get the light back, but at that time I really had to go because I had a competation the next day so I asked the friend who threw the light if he could remind the counselors to lower the curtain and return the light to me on Monday. Unsurprisingly, he forgot(and probably didn't care judging by the face he had on). SO now 2 weeks later, the light still hasn't shown up even though Fenix Store graciously laser etched my name into it. My name is pretty unique. The curtian was lowered 2 days from the time of the toss for something but apparently no one saw it.

ARRG, so the first time I lost a light and it wasn't even my fault.:shakehead

Make your friend pay you the light, he is more probable to learn the value of things, specially ones that are not his, if he has to pay for it.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

That sucks. I lost a Fenix E01 and a Liteflux LF2 at work. I wear hospital provided scrubs and both times I left the the lights in my pocket and put the scrubs into the uniform exchange machine. I left messages with the linen service but the lights never turned up.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

To paraphrase my good old dad,

"You shoulda kept it in your pocket (pants)"... :ohgeez:

You woulda still had your light , sucks your friend screwed around and threw it though.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I'm telling him today if he comes. If he doesn't I'll call him.

He's paying for the light, and he still has a book he hasn't returned yet(that's understandable though, it's a huge and thick book).

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm surprised I've not yet lost the head of my E01. Somehow, every time it falls off, I find it.

Too bad about your light, hope it eventually turns up.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I think the divider curtain at the Y where I do some part-time work actually rolls up, but I've never seen them do it. Maybe the light is still stuck up there. I think the regular staff would turn it in to the lost and found. The night cleaning crew might be a different story, though. Hope you find it.

Geoff

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm surprised I've not yet lost the head of my E01. Somehow, every time it falls off, I find it.

That reminds me of something my mother used to say: "You'd lose your head if it wasn't screwed on". :party:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got that a lot, but not just from my mom. I got it from the teachers, and my grandparents, and just about anyone else who's known me for more than an hour :D

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make

got that comment alot too..

what i have learned:

never carry or use anything you are not mentally ready to loose/misplace/break.

never carry anything you cannot afford to loose! and re-buy if it is indeed lost.

always carry a backup or have one atleast somewhere, that can work as primary while you are looking for the 1st one or waiting a new one that you bought to arrive.

*nowdays i have been evolving into someone who only looses a thing for few hours/days/weeks/months but not completely anymore. most times i find em eventually.

(normally every 10th time i loose a thing, i have already bought a new replacement for it before finding the original.)

balou

Enlightened

got that comment alot too..

what i have learned:

never carry or use anything you are not mentally ready to loose/misplace/break.

never carry anything you cannot afford to loose! and re-buy if it is indeed lost.
easier said than done. I would not be mentally ready to loose my laptop, nor could I afford to buy another one.

btw, I also often got that comment about loosing my head :laughing:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sometimes I think that no light is ever missed so much as when it is lost. Years ago I inadvertantly threw away a brand new ARC AA with the packing a multi light order came in. It sat on the curb for a few days and was picked up before I tumbled to what happened. I was able to replace it with another but I still mourn the loss of that great little light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Sometimes I think that no light is ever missed so much as when it is lost. Years ago I inadvertantly threw away a brand new ARC AA with the packing a multi light order came in. It sat on the curb for a few days and was picked up before I tumbled to what happened. I was able to replace it with another but I still mourn the loss of that great little light.

I remember now your telling about this happening. Hurts to read it as much now as then.

Geoff

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

My mother did this one Christmas, her dead mothers Cameo and diamond ring was on her finger when we unwrapped gifts. When we finished I took out the paper and burned it. Later she discovered it was gone. Dad and I found the melted setting in the burning barrel, the cameo had melted and we never did find the all the small diamonds. Was the greatest loss of an item she had, she still mourns it.

I lost my first Minimag while out hunting one time, and you are right, it was greatly missed, because it was lost and did not fulfill its life of use. I always hoped someone found and used it.

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened

Sorry you lost a light, Iv'e been there as have many of us.:candle:
I had to say though, making your freind pay for it, not cool.

Let's admit it, when you tied it to a frisbee and let fly, you were "screwing around" so realy you started it. I don't mean to say he should have done that, but you did show him that you were willing to throw it around yourself.

I hope I'm not sparking any angry debate saying this, just sugesting we all play nice.:eek:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, we probably have all lost a light, now and then. My worst experience was losing a brand new SureFire A2 on the very first day I purchased it. I was carrying it in a raincoat pocket and went to an evening class. When I returned to get my coat, the light wasn't in the pocket. I honestly thought maybe it fell out of my pocket in the car while I was driving to the class. I must have torn that car apart a half dozen times. Still, no light. While it could have been stolen from my pocket, I tended to doubt that because the class was in a religious institution, where the coat was on a rack behind me, only 10 feet from my seat. Where that light went, along with other lights I have lost, remains a mystery to this day. I sort of imagine there is a big hole the opens up and sucks up lost flashlights. Now, if I could only locate that hole. I would be set for life.