Easy 2000+ Lumens mod with Romisen T5

cpfmember

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to give you some information about my latest mod. I was about to mod my mag 2d with some high powered leds when I came up with the idea to mod my Romisen RC-T5. basically I just replaced two of the four Crees with MC-E's. Its a DD with 2 Crees in serial and 2 MCEs in parallel and then in Serial. The two 18650 deliver around 3.6 Amps at 7.2 V which gives roughly 25watts. This should be the equivalent of about 2000 Lumens. Runtime would be a bit more than 30 Minutes on high.

First I was thinking about replacing all 4 Crees with MCEs but the problem is that the MCEs give a slight dougnat hole when placed in the reflector. So basically the two Crees are to file the gap between the ring of the MCEs and the focus point. With this setup the focus is still quite bright with a lot of side spill.

here we go with the pictures:
P1010832.jpg

The Romisen T5 against (the unmodded) MTE P7

P1010826.jpg

Modded head of the T5 with 2x normal Cree and 2x MCEs

P1010828.jpg

left: Romisen T5 on low
right: MTE P7 on high

P1010829.jpg

lef Romisen T5 on high
right: MTE P7 on high

As the modded T5 is a bit too bright for most applications in DD I simply installed a two stage switch to have a more useable second stage.
The head gets warm quite fast. But as always with my mods: its more about what is possible it terms of size and brightness and long runtime is secondary.

cheers,

Dominic

1996alnl

Enlightened
Cool setup but pointing that monster at a white wall is a waste.
Take it outside with the MTE,take some beamshots.
Post it and really show off:cool:

Enjoy the beam.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Hey cpfmember have you tried AW IMR 18650 cells in your light? Even though the capacity is less these cells are made for hight current consuption,maybe you'll get better runtimes.